USAA and HPSP

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DD214_DOC

20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Can we HPSPers make use of USAA while in school, or are we SOL until graduationg and being switched to active?

Members don't see this ad.

HooahDOc said:
Can we HPSPers make use of USAA while in school, or are we SOL until graduationg and being switched to active?

If you have a commission of any flavor (ie, a military ID card in your wallet) you're eligible. In fact, certain enlisted troops can now join.

You don't even need a commission ... you can be in certain commissioning programs, working towards becoming an officer, and still be eligible.

https://www.usaa.com/inet/gas_corp/CpMemberEligibility

You absolutely cannot beat USAA's service and products. Banking, investment, insurance, the list goes on.

To top it off, they annually refund part of their excess profits back to policy holders. That $400-500 check each February is sweet.

Interesting. I tried to get my ID last week but was told I'm not in the system, after about 5 days. They swore I'd be in the next day, but I just tried to login to AAFES and my record wasn't found.

Do I just callup USAA to join? The only options for reserve was drilling with pay and active, and HPSP isn't really either of those. In fact, HPSP is an enigma that people seem to have a problem figuring out, as my experience at the personnel building can attest. I can't fault the workers though -- I doubt they see many HPSPers.

Members don't see this ad :)
HooahDOc said:
Interesting. I tried to get my ID last week but was told I'm not in the system, after about 5 days. They swore I'd be in the next day, but I just tried to login to AAFES and my record wasn't found.

Do I just callup USAA to join? The only options for reserve was drilling with pay and active, and HPSP isn't really either of those. In fact, HPSP is an enigma that people seem to have a problem figuring out, as my experience at the personnel building can attest. I can't fault the workers though -- I doubt they see many HPSPers.

Call USAA 800-531-8111. Tell them you're accepted to a military scholarship program to medical school, receiving a monthly stipend, attending military summer training, etc. That should do it.

If you don't yet have an ID card, you might not yet be in DEERS (Defense Enrollment and Eligibility Reporting System, or something close). Do you have any sort of paperwork, showing your affiliation with Uncle Sam? That should also satisfy them in lieu of an ID card.

Yep, I have the oath of office and all that jazz. And DEERS is exactly what I wasn't listed in when I tried to get my ID made. They were SUPPOSED to have me in it Tuesday, but if I can't login to AAFES I doubt I'm in it yet. I'm going back next Friday to get my ID and I will be prett pissed if I'm not in yet.

That's the military I guess. Thanks for the information -- it will come in very handy.