Program-Specific Info / Q's USC 2017

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

lao27746

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Anyone applying to USC for early or regular decision for the 2017 cycle? If so, would you mind sharing your stats?

Members don't see this ad.

Cum: 3.82
Prereq: 4.0
GRE: 156 V, 150 Q 3.5 AW
Hours: 300

Do you think the 3.5 in the writing section is going to hurt my chances of getting in? I can't seem to get above a 3.5

Last edited:
I applied to USC early decision & received an email today that my application "is complete and meets and/or exceeds our admission criteria" but will be included in the regular deadline application group. Anyone else get the same thing? I don't quite understand it...

Members don't see this ad :)
I applied to USC early decision & received an email today that my application "is complete and meets and/or exceeds our admission criteria" but will be included in the regular deadline application group. Anyone else get the same thing? I don't quite understand it...
Same here.

Same here.
I think that they accepted students for the early decision and if you are not selected for the early decision your application is put into the pool for regular admissions. I could be wrong though.

I think that they accepted students for the early decision and if you are not selected for the early decision your application is put into the pool for regular admissions. I could be wrong though.
That's my understanding too. I wonder if rejections for early admissions were also sent out?

I was admitted yesterday! :) I will be declining my spot though.

OTCAS GPA: 3.5
Prereq: 3.9
GRE: 156 V, 154 Q 4.5 AW
Hours: 1000+ (700 hand therapy and the rest peds and in-patient

Reactions: 1 user
Just got an email from USC to fill out their graduate application. It's kind of confusing though...did anyone else get this?

Just got an email from USC to fill out their graduate application. It's kind of confusing though...did anyone else get this?

Yes, I did too! I'm very confused as well. Why would we need to refill out the application if we did so through OTCAS before?

Yes, I did too! I'm very confused as well. Why would we need to refill out the application if we did so through OTCAS before?
I got this too. Do we have to send all of our transvripts to USC and fill out that app? I thought that we only had to send our transcripts to OTCAS and apply through there.

Hello everyone, I just received and email from Ms. Carley and she said that we just need to take note of the USC ID and we do not have to submit a separate application through USC graduate application if you already sent your application through OTCAS. Hope this clarifies some of you questions!

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Lao, I'm planning to apply to the same program too! But I have awful GPA as compared to yours . Have you heard anything else aside from what was mentioned in the post above? I'm sending in my application by tomorrow.

Lao, I'm planning to apply to the same program too! But I have awful GPA as compared to yours . Have you heard anything else aside from what was mentioned in the post above? I'm sending in my application by tomorrow.
I haven't heard anything else. I believe that last year, students were receiving acceptance/denial letters in March. So hopefully we hear some good news soon!

For those that applied early- do you think there's a chance of getting in when your app is put into regular decision?

Does anyone know when we are supposed to hear back from USC?

I went to an info session and admissions said it would take 4-6 weeks so probably sometime in March.

Does anyone know when we are supposed to hear back from USC?
Last year people were receiving acceptance letters as early as February 25th, and they had the same deadline as us (2/15). I believe everyone will know if they got in by the end of March

Just got an email this afternoon - accepted!! Over the moon excited. USC has always been my dream! Though the cost has me wondering...

Just got an email this afternoon - accepted!! Over the moon excited. USC has always been my dream! Though the cost has me wondering...
Omg! Thays awesome! I've been checking my email constantly! When did you apply and what r ur stats?

I'm sure you guys will start hearing soon! I applied after the early decision deadline, so sometime early December.

GPA: 3.9, prereq same
GRE: 164V 154Q 5AW
Hours: 200

Good luck everyone!! :)

congrats!!!! Ahh I'm so nervous, but hearing that you applied much earlier is helping me feel a little better. My application was verified 2/10..

Congrats on your acceptance! Is this for the MA or MS program?

Accepted to the program today! However, the cost is giving me pause as the OTD at Wash U is nearly the same amount of money. Plus, LA cost of living. Still, seems like a great program with many opportunities.

Accepted to the program today! However, the cost is giving me pause as the OTD at Wash U is nearly the same amount of money. Plus, LA cost of living. Still, seems like a great program with many opportunities.

Yeah, LA is extremely expensive, unfortunately, and also in a terrible part of town. What do you think of Wash U?

Yeah, LA is extremely expensive, unfortunately, and also in a terrible part of town. What do you think of Wash U?
I'm from southern CA and visited USC for an OT information session. The OT program is actually on a different campus than the main one and really isn't in a bad part of LA at all.

Congrats!! If you don't mind me asking, what were your stats and when did you submit?

Congrats!! If you don't mind me asking, what were your stats and when did you submit?

Completed app. in late Oct.

GPA: 3.24 (compensated with a 3.9 post-bacc)
Pre-req GPA: 4.0
GRE: 144 Quant; 169 Verb; 5.0 AW
Hours: 140

That's great to know, stillwaitingtohear! Based on your knowledge of LA, do you think it's a more affordable area to be in? I know they provide student housing so that shaves off some cost, but it's hard for me to justify a Master's at the same cost I could get a doctorate.

cactusflowerblossom, I have heard wonderful things about the program from current students and alum. I also really really like their admissions team - so easy to communicate with and helpful. I'll be visiting the campus in March and give more of a perspective then. Good luck!

Hey everyone! Best of luck with the application process, and congrats to those that have been accepted :) I was in your shoes a year ago, combing through this forum for application info. I decided to accept my spot at USC, and I am loving it. Let me know if you have any questions I can answer! I'd love to give back to the forum that helped me so much.

Hey everyone! Best of luck with the application process, and congrats to those that have been accepted :) I was in your shoes a year ago, combing through this forum for application info. I decided to accept my spot at USC, and I am loving it. Let me know if you have any questions I can answer! I'd love to give back to the forum that helped me so much.

Hi! I haven't heard back from USC yet but I recently been hearing a lot of people say USC is very research based and other programs at smaller schools may offer more clinical experience. What do you think from ur experience at USC so far?

Hi! I haven't heard back from USC yet but I recently been hearing a lot of people say USC is very research based and other programs at smaller schools may offer more clinical experience. What do you think from ur experience at USC so far?

Glad you asked, because I remember this being a thing when I applied, too. The faculty here at USC is doing some pretty rad research in the field, that's for sure. But, not all professors are. There are opportunities for students to get involved in research if they want to, but it's certainly not required. I wouldn't say I feel like I have been negatively affected or short-changed by this. In my opinion, it's great to have professors who are up on the latest advancements in the field.

There is an emphasis placed on evidence-based practice, as there should be. But, we get plenty of clinical experience through our 'immersions', which include level I fieldwork. For instance, in the adult rehab immersion, we're taking the class while we're also spending time at our level 1 fieldwork placements, which is a great opportunity to see what you're learning in class translated into practice, and to be able to ask any questions you have. During adult rehab, we also do simulated patient experiences, where professional actors role play as patients, and we practice transfers (from laying down in bed to seated, from seated to wheelchair/standing, etc) for various conditions, and have to practice enforcing precautions, technique, bedside manner, patient education, etc.

Long-winded answer, but to sum up: Yes, research is a big part of USC. But no, I don't think it negatively impacts the clinical experience you gain. Our faculty truly is phenomenal, whether they're actively doing research or not :)

Reactions: 2 users
Has anyone heard back recently? I feel like I've been constantly refreshing my email, lol.

Has anyone heard back recently? I feel like I've been constantly refreshing my email, lol.
Lol I've been doing the exact same thing! Based on last years thread, people were receiving acceptances every Thursday in the early afternoon. And the first wave of acceptances from this year came on a Thursday, so hopefully we hear some good news today!

Lol I've been doing the exact same thing! Based on last years thread, people were receiving acceptances every Thursday in the early afternoon. And the first wave of acceptances from this year came on a Thursday, so hopefully we hear some good news today!
Ah! It's so nerve wracking.. I still haven't heard anything, so i'm beginning to get really nervous..

Do you know if we are receiving an email or do we check the portal?

Has anyone heard anything this week? I thought they would've sent out acceptances this week but I guess they're just waiting until next week? The waiting is killing me

I applied February 16th (1 day after their deadline) My stats aren't as strong as everyone else's, but I'm staying hopeful. Still haven't heard anything though :(

has anyone contacted the admissions office? i'm considering emailing them but maybe it's a little early to do so?

I've wanted to contact admissions since last week bc it seems like they haven't sent out acceptances since feb 23rd. I feel like it's still too early, but last year many students had received their acceptances by now.

I just found out that USC is on spring break all of next week, so hopefullg a big wave of acceptances comes this week!

I applied very early in the cycle and have heard absolutely nothing - AHHH!!! I want to start planning my life next year, let's all cross our fingers for some email notifications!

I applied very early in the cycle and have heard absolutely nothing - AHHH!!! I want to start planning my life next year, let's all cross our fingers for some email notifications!
Me too! I applied for the early decision, and this is the only school I'm anxiously waiting for..hopefully many of us will hear good news!

I got an email from USC this afternoon. I got in! Good luck to everyone!

Prerq: 4.0
Gre: 156 V, 150 Q, 3.5 AW
Hours: 300 in 2 settings

Good luck everyone!

Reactions: 3 users

Good luck everyone!
Congrats!! I am still anxiously waiting to hear back!!

I also got accepted!!!
Stats:
Cum GPA: 3.53
Prereq GPA: 3.97?
GRE: 157 V 158Q 5.0 AWA
Hours: ~50 peds, ~60 hand therapy, and about a year's worth of working at an afterschool enrichment program

Reactions: 3 users

Good luck everyone!

Congratulations! When did you turn in your application?

I also got accepted!!!
Stats:
Cum GPA: 3.53
Prereq GPA: 3.97?
GRE: 157 V 158Q 5.0 AWA
Hours: ~50 peds, ~60 hand therapy, and about a year's worth of working at an afterschool enrichment program

Congrats! When did you apply? I applied Feb 14th so I'm hoping they haven't looked at mine yet :p