USC and UWash MSW program

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

deets

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello all!!

I really want to get into USC and U of Washington social work programs in the health/mental health concentration. I'll decide later which one I would want to go to. (I'm from saint louis, so I'll apply to Wash U as well).

I was wondering if there are any USC or U Wash goers out there? How hard is it to get into these programs?

3.5 GPA Health Science major, Sociology minor
Served on a research team for a year, so I'm an SPSS master :)
Teacher Assistant for 1.5 years
I have worked for 2 years at a non-profit organization specializing in disadvantaged teens (mostly economic, but other factors as well)
wymancenter.org <<< link
I have done over 250 hours of community service (In a service org in undergrad)
I have a 40 hour practicum with hospice worker
In and helped get our Active Minds chapter started

I just really want security!!! Hahaha. At least I don't have to take the GRE... :D

Members don't see this ad.

Hello all!!

I really want to get into USC and U of Washington social work programs in the health/mental health concentration. I'll decide later which one I would want to go to. (I'm from saint louis, so I'll apply to Wash U as well).

I was wondering if there are any USC or U Wash goers out there? How hard is it to get into these programs?

3.5 GPA Health Science major, Sociology minor
Served on a research team for a year, so I'm an SPSS master :)
Teacher Assistant for 1.5 years
I have worked for 2 years at a non-profit organization specializing in disadvantaged teens (mostly economic, but other factors as well)
wymancenter.org <<< link
I have done over 250 hours of community service (In a service org in undergrad)
I have a 40 hour practicum with hospice worker
In and helped get our Active Minds chapter started

I just really want security!!! Hahaha. At least I don't have to take the GRE... :D

you will get in with no problem. i had an acquaintance who went to USC, and s/he could barely write an intelligible sentence.

That's sad to hear, especially for USC, which I thought might have a higher standard. I went to a state school for my MSW program and the level of writing was horrific. I don't know what they teach in English and composition classes in high school and undergraduate programs nowadays.

English is a second language for me and so I'm very sensitive regarding my usage. Thus it was an eye-opening experience to see students who were native English speakers who could not spell or write in graduate school. These same students got really uppity and defensive when the professors tried to give feedback regarding writing in general. In one class, my professor invited a lecturer from the English department to provide a brief lecture on basic grammatical errors and how to correct them. Most of the students rolled their eyes, played with their phones, and were generally hostile to the lecturer.

you will get in with no problem. i had an acquaintance who went to USC, and s/he could barely write an intelligible sentence.

In one class, my professor invited a lecturer from the English department to provide a brief lecture on basic grammatical errors and how to correct them. Most of the students rolled their eyes, played with their phones, and were generally hostile to the lecturer.

Ha ha--this sounds just like my undergrads! I knew that some of them went on to social work...

At my school the people they hire to teach Comp 1 are reputed to be terrible writers. One person I knew who taught Comp could barely write his/her own name without editorial assistance. Okay, an exaggeration, but not by much...