USC Class of 2012: Trojan Family Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
For those who applied for USC financial aid, do you know when we will receive information on loans from USC?? Thanks.

Last year they said mid-June and we got it mid-July if that says anything.

Members don't see this ad.

Quick question for whoever might know... I know the acceptance letter said that you have to maintain a 3.0 cumulative (which I will) but if I've already finished my pre-req, can I get a grade lower than a C this semester in a class that USC doesn't care about? Or will it affect my acceptance?

:confused:

Members don't see this ad :)
Quick question for whoever might know... I know the acceptance letter said that you have to maintain a 3.0 cumulative (which I will) but if I've already finished my pre-req, can I get a grade lower than a C this semester in a class that USC doesn't care about? Or will it affect my acceptance?

I don't have a copy of the letter in front of me, but I believe cumulative and prerequisite are key words in there.

I'm pretty sure I read that they want you to "continue your academic excellence" and get above a 3.0 GPA in your classes this semester. I think I'm having trouble doing that actually, lol.

Farmercyst or BMB,

So what goes on during the 4 day mandatory orientation before school starts? Presentations, icebreakers, org recruiting, etc? 4 days is a pretty long time so I was just wondering what they have in store for us?

Also, how easy/hard is it to get an intern job on campus at the USC hospital/pharmacy? Thanks!

Farmercyst or BMB,

So what goes on during the 4 day mandatory orientation before school starts? Presentations, icebreakers, org recruiting, etc? 4 days is a pretty long time so I was just wondering what they have in store for us?

Also, how easy/hard is it to get an intern job on campus at the USC hospital/pharmacy? Thanks!

The orientation you should get a schedule for in July. Essentially they have introductions with the pharm school faculty. They split you up into mentor groups with a faculty member and 2 or 3 upper-classmen. The white coat ceremony, getting the paperwork ready for your intern license, etc. I think I still have my schedule from last year at home, but that's probably the majority of it right there. I forget if they have organization introductions or not. I know they don't actually do the heavy recruiting until school actually starts, and then it's pretty heavy for the first 4-6 weeks. If my timing is right I think they did have the orgs setup in the quad outside the building to do an info fair on one of the days, but that may have been the first real week of school.

As for the ease of getting a position on campus, it kinda depends on your qualifications. I know they have 1st year positions available at University Hospital (4-5 I think), medical plaza pharmacy (3), Norris Cancer Center (2-3 I think). That's all I know about. I'm not sure if they have 1st year interns at Women and Childrens or at LAC/USC. So if you figure ~10 for the campus and 190 student pharmacists coming in, it'll depend on how many of those students keep their old job or decide to go retail vs hospital. I got a job at the medical plaza pharmacy with no prior experience, but I was referred by the course coordinator for our 1st year IPPEs. My pharmacy is run/managed by USC whereas UH and Norris (for now) are managed by Tenet. That's changing, possibly as early as next year. I'm not sure if/how that'll affect availability/hiring criteria.

There are a multitude of jobs available for USC interns. They've advertised positions for Cedars Sinai, City of Hope, Children's Hospital of Los Angeles, multiple Kaiser locations, VA of LB and LA, any number of retail both chain and independent. Usually the institution just has a student intern there come to USC and advertise it in class or it'll be posted on various forums run by USC students or the experiential rotations office will post them on occasion. It shouldn't be hard at all to get a job if you're looking, but getting a job on campus...I can't say how easy that'll be for any one in general.

when is the earliest I can apply for 2009? I got screwed for 2008 cycle by my own undergrad university...

for re-applicants, only one lor correct?

and did you reuse any of the old essays?

I think I can answer this. I was a reapplicant this time around. I only used one LOR but check the status online to ensure it goes through.

I did not reuse my old essay. At the information session they did mention that you can use the same ideas from your pharmcas essay with your sc essay because they may not read both.

Just use this years disadvantage as next years advantage because you are going to be sitting in a chair and they are going to ask the obvious "What have you done this year to improve?". I made sure they were going to get an ear full.
:luck:Good Luck if you really want this it is just sitting there waiting and everything is up to you.:luck:

when is the earliest I can apply for 2009? I got screwed for 2008 cycle by my own undergrad university...

The earliest you can apply is whenever PharmCAS opens up again. June 1 or 15 depending. I'm not sure when they repost the supplemental. But I do believe you'll be redoing everything. I do believe they let you do only 1 LOR but if you're applying to other locations as well you may as well do all 3. Just my .02.

Hi all,
I just get accepted on 4/21. Does it mean I'm already late for FAFSA because its deadline is 3/1? So all I would get is private loans and no federal loans?

The orientation you should get a schedule for in July. Essentially they have introductions with the pharm school faculty. They split you up into mentor groups with a faculty member and 2 or 3 upper-classmen. The white coat ceremony, getting the paperwork ready for your intern license, etc. I think I still have my schedule from last year at home, but that's probably the majority of it right there. I forget if they have organization introductions or not. I know they don't actually do the heavy recruiting until school actually starts, and then it's pretty heavy for the first 4-6 weeks. If my timing is right I think they did have the orgs setup in the quad outside the building to do an info fair on one of the days, but that may have been the first real week of school.

As for the ease of getting a position on campus, it kinda depends on your qualifications. I know they have 1st year positions available at University Hospital (4-5 I think), medical plaza pharmacy (3), Norris Cancer Center (2-3 I think). That's all I know about. I'm not sure if they have 1st year interns at Women and Childrens or at LAC/USC. So if you figure ~10 for the campus and 190 student pharmacists coming in, it'll depend on how many of those students keep their old job or decide to go retail vs hospital. I got a job at the medical plaza pharmacy with no prior experience, but I was referred by the course coordinator for our 1st year IPPEs. My pharmacy is run/managed by USC whereas UH and Norris (for now) are managed by Tenet. That's changing, possibly as early as next year. I'm not sure if/how that'll affect availability/hiring criteria.

There are a multitude of jobs available for USC interns. They've advertised positions for Cedars Sinai, City of Hope, Children's Hospital of Los Angeles, multiple Kaiser locations, VA of LB and LA, any number of retail both chain and independent. Usually the institution just has a student intern there come to USC and advertise it in class or it'll be posted on various forums run by USC students or the experiential rotations office will post them on occasion. It shouldn't be hard at all to get a job if you're looking, but getting a job on campus...I can't say how easy that'll be for any one in general.

thanks for the info farmer, that was very helpful! :)

for anybody that has gone through any of the previous application cycles, how long did it take usc to rank the waitlist (may or june)? or i guess more importantly, will admissions even tell us where we are on the list if we call? i thought i had heard of some schools not giving students this information. anyways, if you have any info please fill me in. thanks

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi all,
I just get accepted on 4/21. Does it mean I'm already late for FAFSA because its deadline is 3/1? So all I would get is private loans and no federal loans?

i believe the email they sent to everyone who applied stated that "you should fill your FAFSA no matter what". So you were supposed to fill it out and add USC by March (March 2nd i think).
Having said that, I would contact the school (if you have not done so yet) - maybe there are still options for you. AND... you should fill out FAFSA now!!! Like RIGHT now!!! :luck::luck::luck: Hope it works out for you!

answered my own question, but in case anyone else wants to know we will be informed of our spot on the waitlist by the end of the month via snail mail.

It is not too difficult but honestly, they don't pay too well. There are plenty of jobs out there so just take your time.

answered my own question, but in case anyone else wants to know we will be informed of our spot on the waitlist by the end of the month via snail mail.

Ah more waiting.. thanks for the info!

i believe the email they sent to everyone who applied stated that "you should fill your FAFSA no matter what". So you were supposed to fill it out and add USC by March (March 2nd i think).
Having said that, I would contact the school (if you have not done so yet) - maybe there are still options for you. AND... you should fill out FAFSA now!!! Like RIGHT now!!! :luck::luck::luck: Hope it works out for you!

Thank you so much for the info! I am contacting the school tomorrow morning! Anyone's in similar situation like me? :eek::scared:

Thank you so much for the info! I am contacting the school tomorrow morning! Anyone's in similar situation like me? :eek::scared:

I just got accepted too, but filled out my FAFSA in march....im new to this forum so HI to all :)

cant wait to start USC, I turned down UCSD hoping I would get off the waitlist, so so so excited

my name is jon, nice to meet you guys!

FYI, I was just sent this in an email to those that had helped out with the interviews.

We received over 1500 applications from PharmCAS for the Fall 2008 class. Completed applications (PharmCAS and USC supplemental) were about 1300. As of today, over 200 have been accepted our Pharm. D. program in the Fall. We expect some of the admitted candidates to withdraw during summer and some of the candidates on our waiting list may be admitted. We shall reach a class of 185-190 by late August. The average cumulative GPA of the interviewed candidates is 3.55.

I was just wondering how you go about filling a USC online profile? as well as register for an email? thanks!

RE: parking permits

Is it imperative that we sign in right at 2:00 or 2:15 to get a parking spot in lot 71 or ssp? I have a meeting at work that day and I am wondering if I should take a personal day or if it's safe (in your opinion) to login around 4:00 or so.

Is it imperative that we sign in right at 2:00 or 2:15 to get a parking spot in lot 71 or ssp? I have a meeting at work that day and I am wondering if I should take a personal day or if it's safe (in your opinion) to login around 4:00 or so.

The longer you wait, the more likely you'll be in SSP and not 71, but no it's not absolutely imperative, I would do it the same day though.

yeah, I think we have id's, but I didn't get any information regarding establishing an email account or anything else, though oasis says i'm not on the system yet

is all we have to do so far..?
1. financial aid
2. submit transcripts
3. start completing health stuff
4. ?

yeah, I think we have id's, but I didn't get any information regarding establishing an email account or anything else, though oasis says i'm not on the system yet

is all we have to do so far..?
1. financial aid
2. submit transcripts
3. start completing health stuff
4. ?

register with trojan transportation now so you don't waste time figuring out the day parking permits go on sale.

The longer you wait, the more likely you'll be in SSP and not 71, but no it's not absolutely imperative, I would do it the same day though.

Which parking is closest to the pharmacy classes??

How much does the parking permit cost for the academic year?

The flyer I received in the admissions packet indicated we could purchase the permit at 12pm. Are there different times?

It's a bit confusing. I also thought it was 12:00, but then I checked the online schedule for those two lots and they don't open for purchase until 2:00 and 2:15. http://transnet.usc.edu/guest_services/issuance.aspx

(I don't work for USC parking or anything, this is just my interpretation)

And yes, the rates are high!
http://transnet.usc.edu/guest_services/rates.aspx

The flyer I received in the admissions packet indicated we could purchase the permit at 12pm. Are there different times?

Yeah, looks like they're staggering the times to prevent the site from crashing (happened the last time I purchased a permit). I'd say, if the health science permits go anywhere as quickly like the main campus parking permits, log in before 2 and start refreshing when it gets to be right before 2. :cool:

Anyone have any advice for housing? I've heard students live in the Alhambra/Monterey Park area, which is ~20 minutes away?

Whats the housing situation like directly around the campus? I wanna be able to just jump out of bed for those freaking 8am classes...

Anyone have any advice for housing? I've heard students live in the Alhambra/Monterey Park area, which is ~20 minutes away?

Whats the housing situation like directly around the campus? I wanna be able to just jump out of bed for those freaking 8am classes...

I could forward you all the housing spam I get.:)

Hello,

Is anyone in the same situation as I am? Today I tried signing up for an email + oasis account in order to register with USC Transportation...but when I tried to sign up for e-mail, it stated that that my information is not entered in their system yet....

The information should have been inputted 2-3 days after they receive the deposit (which was confirmed recieved May 1st). I called admissions and they stated that there's a lot of students that have not been entered in the system yet, especially the last batch of students who got accepted. I just wanted to make sure of this...as it looks like I won't be able to apply for a parking permit until I'm "in the system".

Hello,

Is anyone in the same situation as I am? Today I tried signing up for an email + oasis account in order to register with USC Transportation...but when I tried to sign up for e-mail, it stated that that my information is not entered in their system yet....

The information should have been inputted 2-3 days after they receive the deposit (which was confirmed recieved May 1st). I called admissions and they stated that there's a lot of students that have not been entered in the system yet, especially the last batch of students who got accepted. I just wanted to make sure of this...as it looks like I won't be able to apply for a parking permit until I'm "in the system".

I don't think you need to sign up for email+oasis to register w/ USC Transportation

http://transweb.usc.edu

thanks farmer,

by any chance do you know if the lots are available to park 24 hours, or is that just for some of them?

thanks farmer,

by any chance do you know if the lots are available to park 24 hours, or is that just for some of them?

So far as I know Biggie structure is the only 24 hour structure (since it houses the Seaver student's cars. But you can buy for any lot and park in Biggie structure after 5pm until 7am. Besides Biggie went on sale at 1:45pm and was sold out by 2pm.:eek:
Lot 71 and SSP are available now.

Gah the servers are getting pounded, lol.

Ah geez, such good luck, my page froze right when I clicked on confirm, now I have a confirmation email, woohoo.

I already ordered the parking permit. Do you guys know how to pay for the parking permit?

I am having problems buying the permit.
I can't seem to find the icon for permits Lots 71 and SSP.
Is there a different website for HSC?

I am having problems buying the permit.
I can't seem to find the icon for permits Lots 71 and SSP.
Is there a different website for HSC?

Yeah I had the same problem. You just need to go into your "Profile" and change it from "Student" to "HSC."

Yeah I had the same problem. You just need to go into your "Profile" and change it from "Student" to "HSC."

Thanks skysong! :laugh:
Thanks to you, I don't have to take the bus or walk!