Program-Specific Info / Q's USC GRE Score

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

xfutureOTDx

Reaction score
Hello! I have a point under the minimum for the USC GRE score, should I retake it? I am not sure I am able to go through the whole process again struggling my job and life. Has anyone ever heard of anyone getting in/ getting supplements for being under the minimum? Good luck!

Members don't see this ad.

I emailed the admissions folks about my inadequate writing score...this was their response (I wound up retaking it based on this response)

“The admissions committee uses a holistic review process that includes several key components including cumulative GPA (which is every course taken since high school, and would be hard to impact on short notice!), GRE score, prerequisite GPA, the personal statement, short-answer essay questions on OTCAS and three letters of recommendation. The committee does not weigh one component higher than the other, and all are considered equally. We advise students to select recommenders who can attest to your suitability for the program academically as well as in light of the fact that occupational therapy is a helping profession. We pay attention to the GRE score and pay attention to the fact that the student has made an effort to maximize their score (i.e. studied and retook the test if necessary), but it does not dominate the decisions of the admission committee. The committee looks at each of the areas listed above in its efforts to make good decisions.”

Hello! I have a point under the minimum for the USC GRE score, should I retake it? I am not sure I am able to go through the whole process again struggling my job and life. Has anyone ever heard of anyone getting in/ getting supplements for being under the minimum? Good luck!

I know they have a new admissions director this year, but I actually know a few students who go there now and were a few points below the minimum with their GRE score, and USC told them that they strongly recommended they take it again. To play it safe if I were you, I would probably take it again!