USC vs Duke

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

EpiphanyPlease

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have asked around everywhere and have gotten no satisfactory answer. I thought maybe med students who are going through/have gone through the match process may know more about my issue.

I am trying to choose between University of Southern California and Duke medical schools. My goal is to eventually do my residency and also practice in California.

1) I heard that California is exclusive in that it gives preference to students who have gotten their MD in California. Is this true? Would it be easier to get into a good California residency if you get your MD in California? Is it true that California medical schools have connections with other California medical schools, while East Coast schools have connections with other East Coast schools?

2) How important is ranking of the medical school where you get your MD? (USC vs Duke?) Most people I have heard say that it doesn't matter--are they just being diplomatic/idealistic, or does it really not matter in practice?
If you compare two students who did equally well, one from Duke, the other from USC, does it matter that one went to Duke and the other went to USC?

3) If it is the case that a person doesn't get their MD in California and doesn't do their residency in California, how hard is it to find a job (aka practice at a large hospital) in California?

Thank you for taking the time to answer my questions.

Members don't see this ad.

Duke has a better national rep than USC and will get your foot in the door almost anywhere. The curriculum is very different, 1 year of classes with the 3rd year for research/dual degree. If you weren't a science major or have been out of school awhile, it might not be for you.

There is no problem getting residency interviews in CA from Duke. Might even be easier than USC given the program rep. Residency is another issue; it is worth doing residency in CA if you'd like to practice there, but this is down the line 4 years.

Second looks will help you decide. I have buddies at both schools and they seem happy. Good luck.

EpiphanyPlease said:
I have asked around everywhere and have gotten no satisfactory answer. I thought maybe med students who are going through/have gone through the match process may know more about my issue.

I am trying to choose between University of Southern California and Duke medical schools. My goal is to eventually do my residency and also practice in California.

1) I heard that California is exclusive in that it gives preference to students who have gotten their MD in California. Is this true? Would it be easier to get into a good California residency if you get your MD in California? Is it true that California medical schools have connections with other California medical schools, while East Coast schools have connections with other East Coast schools?

2) How important is ranking of the medical school where you get your MD? (USC vs Duke?) Most people I have heard say that it doesn't matter--are they just being diplomatic/idealistic, or does it really not matter in practice?
If you compare two students who did equally well, one from Duke, the other from USC, does it matter that one went to Duke and the other went to USC?

3) If it is the case that a person doesn't get their MD in California and doesn't do their residency in California, how hard is it to find a job (aka practice at a large hospital) in California?

Thank you for taking the time to answer my questions.

Its much easier to stay at a place where you did your residency, your a known commodity. I personally dont think reputation should be a huge consideration unless its a lower third vs. upper, etc...Unless you have a choice of Harvard, Yale, Johns Hopkins, those reps will matter. USC does have a stranglehold on southern cal.
Dont know much about Duke, cant imagine it being any more fun than LA though. I mean i know its a good school but, go where you think youll be happiest, this is much more important than any of the other things. Especially since at the next juncture youll wont have so much choice.

Little Donny said:
Duke has a better national rep than USC and will get your foot in the door almost anywhere. The curriculum is very different, 1 year of classes with the 3rd year for research/dual degree. If you weren't a science major or have been out of school awhile, it might not be for you.

There is no problem getting residency interviews in CA from Duke. Might even be easier than USC given the program rep. Residency is another issue; it is worth doing residency in CA if you'd like to practice there, but this is down the line 4 years.

Second looks will help you decide. I have buddies at both schools and they seem happy. Good luck.

I agree Duke has a great national reputation and deservedly so, but in SoCal USC is huge. Going to med school here will practically guarantee you a residency spot if you so desire. Out of Cali it will not be as effective maybe if you are otherwise equal.

Football? USC.

Basketball? Duke.

I think you're ok either way if you have ties to CA. But honestly, stay in CA if you want to stay in CA. If you were from Asheville and got into Duke and USC I would say go to USC if you wanted to be in CA.

Numerically, all CA schools are good whether they be Loma Linda or UCSF.

Also, I have noticed it's easy for west coasters to get east coast residencies. The converse is not true.