Use Multiple Acceptances to Improve Financial Aid?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

aspirantmed

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm accepted and likely matriculating at a medical school (A) that I'm very pleased with, but several days ago I was offered another acceptance at a different medical school (B) that is comparably prestigious. While I'm split 70-30 this point on attending A over B based on quality of overall education and experience alone, it's hard to overlook that B is about $15-20,000 cheaper in terms of projected cost of attendance relative to A.

My question is, would it be possible to contact A and notify them that B is cheaper, and to ask about the availability of financial aid to make up that difference? (1) How likely is this to work? (2) Is this considered to be in poor taste, and might I be burning bridges or ruffling feathers if I do choose to matriculate at A?

Members don't see this ad.

I'm accepted and likely matriculating at a medical school (A) that I'm very pleased with, but several days ago I was offered another acceptance at a different medical school (B) that is comparably prestigious. While I'm split 70-30 this point on attending A over B based on quality of overall education and experience alone, it's hard to overlook that B is about $15-20,000 cheaper in terms of projected cost of attendance relative to A.

My question is, would it be possible to contact A and notify them that B is cheaper, and to ask about the availability of financial aid to make up that difference? (1) How likely is this to work? (2) Is this considered to be in poor taste, and might I be burning bridges or ruffling feathers if I do choose to matriculate at A?
I have heard of people doing it, but you have to present it in such a way that its like, you absolutely want school A, and that your heart is sold on it, but it is just so hard to turn down that much money.

As for who and how exactly to go about it, I have no clue, but I have heard of it happening.

How likely it is to work depends on how you phrase your request, and more importantly, how desirable you are to A (given that they still have resources for offering additional aid). It's not considered in poor taste if you are polite and honest about your concerns; schools see this type of "negotiation" attempt from multiple applicants every cycle, so they're used to it. Like @Awesome Sauceome said, I would emphasize that A is truly your top choice, but the cost of education is a reality you cannot ignore leaving you with a "tough choice" to make. Best of luck to you!

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
This worked for me a week ago. Phrase it well and give it a shot. You have nothing to lose. Worst case scenario they say no.

This worked for me a week ago. Phrase it well and give it a shot. You have nothing to lose. Worst case scenario they say no.
"Worked" for me too. Granted I was really hung up over a $100k COA difference. But the school made them comparable. Give it a shot!

Here are a few rules to follow for this to work in your favor:

1. Wording is everything
If you come across in the wrong way, you will ruffle feathers. Come across as thoughtful, and allow your words to show that this is a difficult decision. There are tactful ways to say a school has better opportunities or that finances/location are a major concern for you.

2. Be prepared to have your bluff called
You have to be 100% willing to attend school B in order for this to work on school A. Being able to explicitly say that you will be attending school B unless school A can help financially shows that you are serious.

3. Be desirable
If you think your interview sucked, your GPA/MCAT are not impressive, your EC's are far from stellar, and your application somehow marginally skated into the acceptance pile... don't expect to be fought for.

4. Get lucky
Honestly, some schools just don't have the money for this. I had a school tell me that they sincerely wished they could offer me a full ride, but they didn't have the funds left. Even if you are a desirable applicant, you may not be able to secure funding from a school that wants you.

5. Be grateful
This is the most important rule. You are EXTREMELY fortunate to be accepted to multiple US medical schools, do not forget how incredibly blessed you are. Do not get upset, do not get frustrated, do not get angry... Relax, because no matter how this process pans out, you will be a doctor someday soon:highfive:!

Reactions: 1 users