using a MHC degree to a psy.d

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

inurmind

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
whats up everybody, i wanted know if anybody knows where i can use a masters in mental health counseling and use the to continue a psy.d program, im nyc and they dont continue it, if i get a masters in MHC i would still have to go the five year program, i probably know the answer already but never hurts to ask if anyone knows, thx

Members don't see this ad.

Yes, you will have to complete the entirety of a doctoral program, at least for all of the programs I am familiar with. While there is some overlap between the fields, the coursework is different in content, scope, and depth.

If by "use it" you mean transfer credits so that you can be released from some coursework requirments in the doctoral program (?), then yes, a few select courses will likley be accpeted for transfer by many (but not all) programs. Does this shorten the time it takes to complete the doctorate? No. Will just make the load a little bit lighter...