Using EK Physics and GChem 1001 ?'s for 2015 MCAT ?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

JOLA46

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Anyone else using these for supplemental studying? They are really good. I don't see why they wouldn't be applicable to the new MCAT.

Members don't see this ad.

I am using EK Biology 1001. It really has been extremely helpful so far. I am only about 25% through it, but my test date isn't until June. I looked at doing the EK Chem 1001 and Physics 1001, but then I realized that it might not be the best use of my time since neither of those subjects are as heavily tested as Biology and since passage based questions are the majority of the exam, rather than discrete questions. I still might do the Chem 1001, but definitely not the Physics or OChem ones. I heard there might be a Psychology/Sociology 1001 passage-based book coming out at the end of 2015...that would be awesome to have I think, unfortunately it isn't available for this testing cycle though.

this is something i don't understand about the new mcat. they say that physics and gchem aren't tested as heavily as biology, but there still is an entire section dedicated to them. how can this be?

i like the biology too. good practice for sure.

Members don't see this ad :)
Reactions: 1 users
Physics and Chem are being reduced by about 10 and 5 questions, respectively. They still can really hurt you if you don't have a good grasp of them, so I wouldn't have that mindset. I think that SN2ed's Hat Trick or at least the idea of it is especially applicable to this test

Reactions: 1 user
The old 2014 MCAT's PS section was fairly different from the EK 1001 book in that it was more conceptual. I'm guessing that the 2015 MCAT will be similar. I used the EK 1001 book and got a 12 in PS, but it was a nerve-wracking, tremendously challenging section followed by a month of waking up in the middle of the night wondering if B or D was the right answer.

Reactions: 1 users
I'm using EK Physics and Gen chem to solidify my content will practice. 1/3rds is fine for me. I did EK Bio which was really bad in terms of practice so I threw that away. I actually haven't touched any Orgo review yet (lol, strong point though) so I plan on running the EK Orgo 1001 for content review. Figured I can finish the EK 1001 in 2-3 days considering the "easiness of it."

the ek 1001 ?'s for orgo actually has a section on biochem. i am planning on doing this for sure.

I bought it just for those 143 questions. Where in the book are they located? I didn't receive the book yet.