Using MAC computers in DO School ... 411?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Algorhythmik

ALGO!
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey People!!! :hardy:

I was hoping someone might have some info about using a :cool: Mac computer in DO school??? :thumbup:

Comments from current DO students with Mac's :idea: would esp be helpful (particularly from the list below)

* MSU-COM (especially this school, since I'm leaning heavily toward it) :smuggrin:
* NYCOM
* PCOM
* CCOM
* OSU-COM

Also, related Issues that would be nice to hear about :smuggrin: are:

1) compatibility with daily school websites, lectures, etc?

2) special educational programs only available on PCs?

3) are any of you using "wannabe-Windows" via Parallels or VMWare Fusion?

4) any particular software you've found particularly useful during your studies? (think: note-taking software, special review websites, etc)

Cheers!

Members don't see this ad.

While I'm going to go to LECOM in the fall you won't have any problem using your Mac at any school. I currently have a MacBook Pro circa 2006 (I want one of the new ones with the multi-touch trackpad and LED screen) but if you have an intel based Mac (any produced after Mid 2006) you can use either boot camp, VMWare Fusion (My personal fav) or Parallels (used it didn't like it) to run windows on your Mac so you would have the best of both words (might be stretching it since MS cares more about market dominance than producing quality products.)

Boot Camp is free and comes with Leopard but requires you to boot up in the windows partition to use and then restart into the OS X if you want to switch OS. Both VMWare Fusion and Parallels allow you to run windows on top of OS X so no rebooting is required. When using either VMWare and Parallels Windows is run just like any other application on OS X. You will however need a working copy of Windows to install.

That being said there are very few programs that absolutely need Windows to run and I doubt you would need windows at all except for NYCOM that uses some sort of Windows media thing to view their videos. If this is your first Mac then make sure you install the Flip4Mac program (allows you to run windows media using quicktime) and the Perian (do a search for Perian Mac) and you'll be able to view almost any video type.

If you have any questions about Mac's I'd be more than happy to help you out. I switched back in 2002 and I haven't looked back. Oh and in my experience most schools and IT departments say that windows is required because they are either inexperienced in using Mac's because all their education is based upon the Windows OS or that due to a lower total cost of ownership and less maintenance requirements IT employees want to preserve their jobs and keep the funding for their departments at the current levels to keep employees employed.

Unless the school requires you to get a certain laptop then you shouldn't have a problem.

There's probably at least half a dozen here in my class that use macs and they don't have a problem. And really, just about all of the computer usage will be either 1)checking email, 2)surfing the web, or 3)using word and/or powerpoint....all of which can be done on both platforms.

Members don't see this ad :)
[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JixbzFjv_cU[/YOUTUBE]

:hardy:

Dear LECOM Dudes:

That was very helpful. Kind of assuaged my fears of bringing a Mac into the DO school environment.

I'd also never heard of those two media programs you mentioned - Perian, etc. I can do you one better if you want the best media player out there.

I've been using a wicked program called VLC Media Player (PC and Mac versions available). I kid you not guys, VLC will literally play anything. If someone encoded a movie on your grandma's pantyhose, lol - VLC would play it without a hitch. You can even control which language track is played if it's a DivX or (cough cough, ripped) DVD file.

It's THAT good.

Here's a Review of VLC
http://www.softpedia.com/reviews/mac/VLC-Media-Player-Review-13893.shtml

And here's where to Download it (click Download across from one of the American flags - I use UWisc-Madison's):
http://www.videolan.org/vlc/download-macosx.html

I'll be honest and admit the user interface is a little on the simplish side (not as pretty as say Realplayer or Windows MP 9) and sometimes, when you do deep into the Player's Options menus, it's easy to get lost in details that are honestly unimportant unless you're heavy into video editing. Keep it simple: make playlists, watch stuff, hit play and pause, and you're golden.

I love using it. I never EVER have to worry about player errors or malfunctions. Like a Mac, VLC just plain works without a second thought.

Again, thanks for all that info on having a Mac at school. Looks like I'll be buying VMWare Fusion and getting a copy of XP from the school. :smuggrin:

Cheers!

ANYTHING WILL RUN ON A MAC

ANYTHING WILL RUN ON A MAC

IF IT DOESNT RUN ON MAC OS X IT WILL RUN ON WINDOWS XP IF YOU USE BOOTCAMP OR PARALLELS.

THERE IS NO PROGRAM IN THE WORLD MY MAC WILL NOT RUN.

these posts can hopefully stop now

Dear LECOM Dudes:

That was very helpful. Kind of assuaged my fears of bringing a Mac into the DO school environment.

I'd also never heard of those two media programs you mentioned - Perian, etc. I can do you one better if you want the best media player out there.

I've been using a wicked program called VLC Media Player (PC and Mac versions available). I kid you not guys, VLC will literally play anything. If someone encoded a movie on your grandma's pantyhose, lol - VLC would play it without a hitch. You can even control which language track is played if it's a DivX or (cough cough, ripped) DVD file.

It's THAT good.

Here's a Review of VLC
http://www.softpedia.com/reviews/mac/VLC-Media-Player-Review-13893.shtml

And here's where to Download it (click Download across from one of the American flags - I use UWisc-Madison's):
http://www.videolan.org/vlc/download-macosx.html

I'll be honest and admit the user interface is a little on the simplish side (not as pretty as say Realplayer or Windows MP 9) and sometimes, when you do deep into the Player's Options menus, it's easy to get lost in details that are honestly unimportant unless you're heavy into video editing. Keep it simple: make playlists, watch stuff, hit play and pause, and you're golden.

I love using it. I never EVER have to worry about player errors or malfunctions. Like a Mac, VLC just plain works without a second thought.

Again, thanks for all that info on having a Mac at school. Looks like I'll be buying VMWare Fusion and getting a copy of XP from the school. :smuggrin:

Cheers!
While I use VLC on windows and as a last resort on a mac, I just prefer the interface of quicktime to VLC, eh I'm an apple snob what can I say?

But I'm glad we could help