USMLE 199 score and being realistic

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Hope666

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I haven't seen one of these for this year at least or 2013 so I'm going to be the one to put my neck out there. I have a crap score on the Step 1 (199). I want to do internal medicine. I only have two auditions lined up. I was rejected by others. I'm taking step 2 in two months. I'd like to do better and I am taking a study rotation to prepare for it. Any advice?

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Advice is to be realistic. You'll find a match, especially if you really improve your step two. Make sure home institution is your back up, back up and apply broadly to places that are not reaches. You can send me a list of places you'd like up go by PM and I'll let you know what I think.

I haven't seen one of these for this year at least or 2013 so I'm going to be the one to put my neck out there. I have a crap score on the Step 1 (199). I want to do internal medicine. I only have two auditions lined up. I was rejected by others. I'm taking step 2 in two months. I'd like to do better and I am taking a study rotation to prepare for it. Any advice?

Advice is to be realistic. You'll find a match, especially if you really improve your step two. Make sure home institution is your back up, back up and apply broadly to places that are not reaches. You can send me a list of places you'd like up go by PM and I'll let you know what I think.

The big question you have to answer for us before we can help you out is whether you're a US MD, a DO, an IMG, or an FMG. That and any geographic restrictions helps us give you some advice.

Members don't see this ad :)
The big question you have to answer for us before we can help you out is whether you're a US MD, a DO, an IMG, or an FMG. That and any geographic restrictions helps us give you some advice.
Second that. If you are a US MD, relax.

I forgot to put that in there. Most people just call me the medical student at this point. I'm a DO and I'm in the North West. So it does complicate things. I am hoping to (ironically) try for ACGME residencies. I'm not at this point ruling out DO, but the current consensus is that they will be combining in the next 5 years so I don't really know the attitude of residencies directors on this. I'm sure it's mixed. I'm shooting for respectable community programs. I know I'm not the most stellar candidate.

Oh, thanks for giving me a serious reply and not some of the responses that show up on other parts of SDN. I appreciate it.

beast step 2 and tell them you had the flu on step 1 day. ive heard at my school of people matching more competitive specialties than IM with sub 200

I forgot to put that in there. Most people just call me the medical student at this point. I'm a DO and I'm in the North West. So it does complicate things. I am hoping to (ironically) try for ACGME residencies. I'm not at this point ruling out DO, but the current consensus is that they will be combining in the next 5 years so I don't really know the attitude of residencies directors on this. I'm sure it's mixed. I'm shooting for respectable community programs. I know I'm not the most stellar candidate.

Oh, thanks for giving me a serious reply and not some of the responses that show up on other parts of SDN. I appreciate it.

With a 199 on step 1 you'd be crazy to skip the DO match. Not sure what the "merger" has anything to do with your situation or why you even mention it. You should definitely apply to a realistic (and very long) list of ACGME programs (unfortunately "respectable community program" would be a reach and should certainly not constitute the majority of the programs you apply to). You also need to take the DO match seriously and go into it expecting that you'll end up at a DO program. Unless you get 12+ ACGME interviews at programs where you feel you actually have a chance (the alternative being that they just interviewed you to round out their rank list....as a safety basically) you should go for the DO match. It's going to be an expensive, and probably unsatisfying, process. Unfortunately for you PDs at many of these community programs will not hesitate to take the SGU grad with a 230 over a DO with a 200.

Yeah. DO with a 199 are both easy discriminators to file the application in the round cabinet. I still think a match will be found here.

I stil think it would be helpful to get a list of places OP might consider sending an app.

With a 199 on step 1 you'd be crazy to skip the DO match. Not sure what the "merger" has anything to do with your situation or why you even mention it. You should definitely apply to a realistic (and very long) list of ACGME programs (unfortunately "respectable community program" would be a reach and should certainly not constitute the majority of the programs you apply to). You also need to take the DO match seriously and go into it expecting that you'll end up at a DO program. Unless you get 12+ ACGME interviews at programs where you feel you actually have a chance (the alternative being that they just interviewed you to round out their rank list....as a safety basically) you should go for the DO match. It's going to be an expensive, and probably unsatisfying, process. Unfortunately for you PDs at many of these community programs will not hesitate to take the SGU grad with a 230 over a DO with a 200.
What he said. You not only need to be in the AOA match, you need to really be in it and assume that's where you're going. No harm in applying to a truckload of MD schools and if you get a bunch of invites, skip the DO match. But you're looking at 1 1/2 strikes at a minimum and you need to maximize your chances.

Hi all, have been following this post. I too am a 199 but who comes from a US MD program, not top 25, but higher than top 50 per US news. I am wondering how many programs I should be applying to in hopes of matching at a university program? Lets say step 2 is 225 (which i hope to do better than). 3rd year has been H, P, HP, HP, P, HP thus far. I am yet to hear a number and looking for some advice, thanks!

Hi all, have been following this post. I too am a 199 but who comes from a US MD program, not top 25, but higher than top 50 per US news. I am wondering how many programs I should be applying to in hopes of matching at a university program? Lets say step 2 is 225 (which i hope to do better than). 3rd year has been H, P, HP, HP, P, HP thus far. I am yet to hear a number and looking for some advice, thanks!

Applying is cheap and effortless. Don't limit yourself off the bat. You're going to need a wide range of low- and mid-tier university programs, focus on the ones in less desirable areas, you'll also want to throw in some community programs too. I hesitate to give you a number but it should definitely be greater than thirty but probably less than 60. Also you should aim higher than 225 on step 2. The mean is a 235! Good luck

Maybe you should start your own thread. This one hasn't been active in a few days and your question might get overlooked.

Sent from my KFOT using Tapatalk 2

Applying is cheap and effortless. Don't limit yourself off the bat. You're going to need a wide range of low- and mid-tier university programs, focus on the ones in less desirable areas, you'll also want to throw in some community programs too. I hesitate to give you a number but it should definitely be greater than thirty but probably less than 60. Also you should aim higher than 225 on step 2. The mean is a 235! Good luck

thanks, could you give an example of one of these mid tier or low tier programs (mainly im wondering what do you define as less desirable areas)? Im thinking of something like SLU (and no desrespect to them what so ever, but I do not think st. louis is as desired to live in as new york).

and sure, the goal is 240 plus.

Last edited:
thanks, could you give an example of one of these mid tier or low tier programs (mainly im wondering what do you define as less desirable areas)? Im thinking of something like SLU (and no desrespect to them what so ever, but I do not think st. louis is as desired to live in as new york).

and sure, the goal is 240 plus.

Sure, there are plenty. The SUNY hospitals for instance: Upstate, Buffalo and Stony Brook are all in less desirable locations but are solid programs. not sure about SLU. Many programs in the southeast and midwest (except for the big powerhouses) are also good options to look into. A quick and dirty way is to look at the list of residents, if you see DOs and/or caribbean grads those are the kind of programs you should focus on.

How did you do on COMLEX? You might be better off without the usmle on your record. Not sure if that's possible but I think it might be.

Sent from my iPhone 6 using Tapatalk

I have a fairly minimal list at this point as I'm trying to find broad general locations that my SO will be okay with. He's still looking at the lists and locations. He knows I don't have the option of being location picky and I don't plan on it, but still I'm putting effort in both our happiness. I'll post it later. As for my COMLEX it's about the same. Two people in my life died this year, add that on test anxiety and well this is what I have to work with. I'm just hoping that it works out okay.

Can also look at WVU, LSU Shreveport, maybe Mercer but it only seems to have 1 categorical DO. Penn Hershey. University of Illinois branches in Peoria, Urbana Champaign.

Look for uni programs in towns you aren't super familiar with, they will generally be less competitive.

Thank you for the recommendation. I appreciate it. I'm wondering if anyone would be willing to me PMing them concerning more detailed aspects of my application. I'm seeing my adviser concerning this, but other sources of information/advice are welcome. Thanks.

Last edited:
Here's some more programs you should look into.
U of Arizona in Tuscon...yes the one with the current VA scandal
Rutgers Njms
Rutgers New Brunswick

Some decent community programs
Washington Hospital Center in DC
Allegheny in Pittsburgh
Kaiser programs in California