USMLE 6 Attempt for exams ----- Unfair Policy change by the NBME/USMLE folks

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I agree with pretty much everyone that 6 attempts is generous enough. More would constitute a pattern of a) not being prepared, b) not recognizing it, and then capping it off with c) not taking the hint when things go badly the first time. Doesn't mean someone who gets locked out is a bad person, but they're not showing they can succeed as a doctor.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
When the thread is about people repeatedly failing, proudly proclaiming that 99% of your class got a 230 is bragging, as it would be when you're talking to a buddy who failed when you say you got the 81%.

Sorry I'm not sorry?

Members don't see this ad :)
Well if one crosses the limit on a particular step component.....due to various reasons (family, health, work, etc). That is what I was referring to.....

Previously when examinees took this exam, this rule did not exist. Hence, they did not have to think that if they failed it, it would be counted towards a 6 attempt limit. It is UNFAIR, and OUTRIGHT INJUSTICE to impose such a rule on them right now. It is like saying you have received x amount of traffic tickets, ok from now onwards anyone who has received 6 tickets or more (whether it be for speeding, or minor traffic violations) will never be able to drive again, AND people who previously got 5 tickets and were not subjected this rule it will apply to them as well. Hence, irrespective of when you took the exam you are suddenly put under the gun.

That is JUST WAY TOO MUCH PRESSURE ON ANYONE! This itself could lead someone to jeopardize their last attempt, no matter how well prepared they are this final time to take the exam.

Someone who knows that all their attempts will be counted towards a particular set number would be much more careful in attempting the exam and will not rush to take it to meet a particular deadline.

There should be some relief, or a separate rule in place for these folks....for instance....Ok from a specific date anyone who takes the exam it will be counted towards a 6 attempt limit. Examinees who took this exam before the attempt limit is introduced will still get the full 6 chances or this rule will not apply to them.

This would be A BIT MORE FAIR.

Our country was established on the very principles of equality, justice and compassion. We are always fighting to make things right for others less fortunate around the globe. We always go out of our way to provide much needed relief and make life a bit easier for others. America stands alone as a role model that exemplifies compassion and care for many countries.

Why don't the NBME folks start acting like they are part of this great Nation? They seem to do whatever the heck they like to do.....It is virtually impossible to get a fair say on any or all matters affecting us.

I would really appreciate everyone's input on how this can be tackled............

Get used to capricious rules. Have you heard of moc? Maintenance of board certification? It's ridic.

Reactions: 1 user
http://againstusmle6attemptlimit.blogspot.com/

I request everyone to pls visit the above blogspot and post your comments about this topic over there.
Perhaps we can also discuss this very sensitive topic over here as well.

Many deserving people are suffering....pls Let's all Stand together United to help others in need.
I feel you. I know ...there should be no such limits. I will visit this site

Step I is meant to establish minimal competency as one progresses to the next stage in their medical career.

If you can't pass one/several of the Step exams in 6 attempts (and I would argue far fewer attempts, actually), then maybe God/Allah/Vishnu/whoever is trying to tell you that your talents are better focused elsewhere.

I never actually thought I'd see the day someone on SDN would be whining about "only" 6 f*cking attempts for Step exams. You're lucky they don't start garnishing your future wages after 3 failures.
You don't have to be so insulting

You don't have to be so insulting

Clearly I do, as it seems my post was still lost on you based on your reply to ja12a

Sitting for and failing a "minimum competency" exam 6 times tells me and everyone else that you're not cut out for medicine in the U.S. In fact, with each subsequent failed attempt one continues to demonstrate not only a lack of knowledge, but a lack of insight into his or her deficiencies. If someone failed the exam, say, 5 times, don't you think they should be absolutely 200% super extra certain they have done everything to prepare and have ensured through adequate test prep and practice material that failure is all but impossible?

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
Is it 6 attempts for all the steps combined or is it for each one? I can't imagine someone taking a step 5 times..

Edit: I see it's 6 attempts per component... After taking one component 3 times and not pass it, I think it's time to call a quit...

Reactions: 2 users
I don't see any point in bumping a thread that had been inactive for a year and had pretty much run its course. Thread closed.

Reactions: 1 user
Status
Not open for further replies.