USMLE Score Cut-offs

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

GopherBrain

MARK IT ZERO!!
Moderator Emeritus
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Does anyone have any specific knowledge of the Step 1 score cutoffs used by various programs?

Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

As far as I know, no real cut-offs for any but the top 4 or 5 programs (Columbia probably has a cut-off, but I can't even swear to that). It's still a small enough field that most diligent PD's will read (almost) every app they get unless the Step I score or transcript is abysmal. LOR are far more important in neuro.

You can start with Lavinia Snyder: [email protected]

Sample letter:
I am appealing to the Board of Psychology to revisit and review the examinees’ results for 2014, and reverse the decision for all those who scored over 70, be declared “PASS” instead of making them retake the exam. Clearly there have been changes in the CPSE because the passing rate was around 90% in the past; however the most recent statistic is a 52% pass rate in September, 2014. After years of education, rigorous requirements for a dissertation, 3000 supervised training hours, and passing the challenging EPPP, this is very problematic.

Beginning in 2014 the CPSE exam has a cut-off criterion that has resulted in about a 30% drop in the pass rate. This is inequitable and discriminatory compared to the requirements for our colleagues historically. On a personal note, I found the questions were poorly worded and convoluted.

Here is a link to the official exam statistics: http://www.psychology.ca.gov/applicants/exams/statistics.shtml
2010: 95%; 2011: 86%; 2012: 86%; 2013: 80% 2014: 61%; September 2014: 52%

Once again, I sincerely urge the BOP to revisit and reverse the decision to declare "PASS" to the candidates who scored above 70.

How to File a Citizens Comment/Complaint About The DCA
The California Department of Consumer Affairs welcomes your comments, complaints, and/or suggestions. To send us a comment, complaint, or suggestion about one of the Boards, Bureaus, Programs, or Divisions within the Department of Consumer Affairs, choose one of the options below.
  • I want to send my comments, complaints, or suggestions about a Board, Bureau, Program or Division within the Department of Consumer Affairs using an online form.
  • I want to send my comments, complaints, or suggestions about a Board, Bureau, Program or Division within the Department of Consumer Affairs using a form I can print and fill out.