USMLE scores

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

leviathan

Drinking from the hydrant
Moderator Emeritus
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Just wondering...how do the average USMLE scores compare between Caribbean and American med students?

Members don't see this ad.

leviathan said:
Just wondering...how do the average USMLE scores compare between Caribbean and American med students?

I believe Carribean students need to score a little higher. How much higher, I don't know. That's what I've heard.

leviathan said:

Depends on what you mean. You'll hear a lot of stories about Ross, AUC, and St. Georges students routinely scoring in the 230's and 240's. Sure, some do. But, my experience tells me that the majority of Caribbean students from these schools will pass on the first try and score, on average, between 190 and 210.

Having said all of that, we Carib students do need to score higher to get noticed at more competitive residencies. But, remember the U.S. average is 215. So, if you want to do FP, Peds, Psych, or other "less competitive" residencies, then you basically just need to pass the thing. OTOH, if you are gunning for Ortho or Derm, you better forego the Caribbean altogether.

Hope that answers your question.

-Skip