USMLE Step 1 Score estimate?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Tantalum

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Just based on the fact that I score an average of 80% on a Random Timed UWorld Block, what can you estimate my step 1 score to be?

I have taken practice tests in the past and I plan to take one in a few days, but I am just looking for an outside opinion and current estimate of my score at the moment.

Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Screenshot_2_cleaned.jpg

This is my UWSA 1 score.
I am taking the real thing in about a month and plan on studying full time until then.
Considering UWSA 1 slightly overpredicts, what can I expect?

When is the best possible time to study UWORLD I'm a M1 student.
I would say sometime during your M2 year, you can do questions on certain topics you covered. I would recommend doing them in tutor mode and read all the explanations. You should be using it as a learning tool at that point, not to test yourself.
Good luck

Screenshot_2_cleaned.jpg

This is my UWSA 1 score.
I am taking the real thing in about a month and plan on studying full time until then.
Considering UWSA 1 slightly overpredicts, what can I expect?
minimum 224, ive seen overprediction by up to 19 points, but considering your uworld percentage score your closer to 230s, take nbme 15, see how that goes, if its close to this, then your in 240s for sure

Reactions: 1 users
Hey guys I'm just curious as to if the NBME/CBSSA 3 digit step one score is accurate.... I took NBME 15 form got a 68.5% correct and that equates to a 184? And like a 75% is barely passing? Surely that isn't the case on the real test.. thoughts?

Members don't see this ad :)
I had a 67% on Uworld and got a low 230s. Those stupid Uworld-step 1 "correlation" charts had me in the 240s. Dont trust them OP if anyone gives them to you. N=1 in my case, but they are mostly based on conjecture and wildly outdated.

Hey guys I'm just curious as to if the NBME/CBSSA 3 digit step one score is accurate.... I took NBME 15 form got a 68.5% correct and that equates to a 184? And like a 75% is barely passing? Surely that isn't the case on the real test.. thoughts?
yup 65-70% will get you a barely passing score on real deal,

seeing that the NBME prediction is very accurate in comparing to STEP you do need high percentages correct on the easy and medium questions, but for example an 80 percent on real deal is going to get you a higher 3 digit score than on an nbme, (this is all speculation, no one knows for sure)

I had a 67% on Uworld and got a low 230s. Those stupid Uworld-step 1 "correlation" charts had me in the 240s. Dont trust them OP if anyone gives them to you. N=1 in my case, but they are mostly based on conjecture and wildly outdated.
This is a low 230s on the real thing?

yup 65-70% will get you a barely passing score on real deal,

seeing that the NBME prediction is very accurate in comparing to STEP you do need high percentages correct on the easy and medium questions, but for example an 80 percent on real deal is going to get you a higher 3 digit score than on an nbme, (this is all speculation, no one knows for sure)
So each question is weighed? Even if I get 85% correct if I miss all easy questions then my grade is going to be relatively low? And also You're saying that the average student (about a 228) gets 80 something % correct on step 1?

This is a low 230s on the real thing?

my point is there is no strong correlation between UW and the real deal. So many confounding factors at play with how Uworld is done and all. For me somehow I must have underperformed but I feel like I learned as much as I could from UW. did 1 pass on it.

A Predictive Model for USMLE Step 1 Scores

this study is the closest thing i could find to an actual correlation....74.23% corresponded with 241 roughly altho this is just a small sample size.

So each question is weighed? Even if I get 85% correct if I miss all easy questions then my grade is going to be relatively low? And also You're saying that the average student (about a 228) gets 80 something % correct on step 1?
no that's not what I am saying at all, I am saying that you need to get a high percentage of the easy and medium questions correct like in the 80s because you can't afford to get them wrong, all questions are worth the same according to NBME,

I said that 80 percent on an step on is most likely worth more than an 80 percent on nbme, I picked 80 arbitrarily, (again no one knows for sure)

the point is that you can't bank on just what percentage you need to get correct on step, you need to outperform other students taking that test, and if the average student is getting in the 80s on the NBME (which they are). then you need to get to that level because they will take same forms as you and you cant just magically outperform them on the real deal. go to link below to see NBME percentage and 3 digit nbme score,

Official: NBME % Correct to 3 Digit Score Thread

Reactions: 2 users
I need advice.

UWSA1 = 243
UWSA2 = 249
NBME16 = 236

Now I know some may say "that's not a big drop", but the issue is I've put in about 2 weeks of hardcore studying after UWSA2 until NBME16.
I need to know which is a more accurate predictor of my step score and what can I expect to score on the exam.
Exam is about a week away, I plan on doing NBME 18 and another one.
Also, on the real thing are questions more like NBME or UWSA?? I've noticed that they are incredibly different types of question styles among the two.

Everyone that I know has taken it says UWorld is more like the real deal.

I need advice.

UWSA1 = 243
UWSA2 = 249
NBME16 = 236

Now I know some may say "that's not a big drop", but the issue is I've put in about 2 weeks of hardcore studying after UWSA2 until NBME16.
I need to know which is a more accurate predictor of my step score and what can I expect to score on the exam.
Exam is about a week away, I plan on doing NBME 18 and another one.
Also, on the real thing are questions more like NBME or UWSA?? I've noticed that they are incredibly different types of question styles among the two.
your looking at a 240+

UWSA1 = 243
UWSA2 = 249
NBME16 = 236
NBME18 = 242
NBME19 = 230 (fml)

I heard 19 is bad, but does it really underpredict by a lot?
Gonna do 17 tomorrow, one pass of FA and a sketchy marathon before the real deal.