USMLE Step 3 PASSED on first shot with 238!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

indomethacin_

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I give all thanks, praise, and glory to God that I PASSED STEP 3 on my first shot with a 238!

I know I have been going for a while since 2015, so here's an update for those who are interested.
-2016-2017 was just preparing and reading Schwartz in preparation for residency, mission trip to Guatemala.
-2017-2018 I matched as a preliminary general surgery resident and was focusing on doing well on ABSITE and paid absolutely no mind to step 3.
-2018 - 2019 I matched into categorical general surgery residency, got married in 5/2018, did well on ABSITE 1/2019 and finally decided it was time to take this exam.

Here's my timeline for Step 3 studying:

Total dedicated study time: 3 months while as a PGY 1 categorical general surgery resident, I had already completed a preliminary general surgery year which I believe helped me tremendously.
Started Studying: 3/1/2019
UWorld average: 69%; 71st percentile.
Self Assessment UWSA 1 on 4/3/2019 : Scored 213; was thankful for a decent passing score.
Self Assessment UWSA 2 on 5/18/2019: Scored 209; again grateful I scored somewhat above 200.
Stopped Studying: 5/27/2019
Test Center Location: Prometric Center 117 Washington Ave, North Haven, CT 06473
Test date: Day 1 5/28/2019
Test date: Day 2 5/29/19
Test Results: 6/19/19

My Sources:
1.) USMLE World; went through the entire qbank twice. First time read all explanations and put notes into small spiral notebook. After first run took UWSA 1, and 1/2 of 2nd run took UWSA 2. 2nd time around just read explanations for questions I got wrong. I was doing anywhere from 40-80 questions a day waiting for attendings to sign out from 6:30 am - 7:30 am.
2.) CCS 51 cases; went through these twice, would do at least 3 cases a day in the morning from 4 am - 5am prior to going to work as a PGY 1 general surgery resident; my golden hour that helped me. Didn't have the strength or willpower to do this before I went to bed, tried multiple times. I had my notes from 2016 in a marble notebook from all of these 51 cases which was a huge blessing. 1st pass I would read my notes then do the CCS case, 2nd pass I would do the CCS cases without my notes to make sure I remember to order and treat the patient in the proper way.
3.) Read my First AID USMLE Step 1 book along with my USMLE Step 1 qbank notes, and USMLE Step 2 CK qbank notes only for Cardiology, Pulmonology, Microbiology, Infectious Disease, and Biostats in last few weeks prior to exam. I read biostats in last week and on 5/27 one day prior to the real deal.
4.) UWSA 1 and UWSA 2.

My experience:
My first baby son was born on 3/28/2019, I am grateful that I had completed nearly 1,000 UW questions before he was born and was able to be a good father and be present for my family. This exam was very different for me because I took Step 1, Step 2 CK, and Step 2 CS as a single medical student with the ability to study 8-10 hrs a day for those exams. Now, I am categorical PGY 1 general surgery resident, with barely 2 hrs in a day to attribute to studying, and had UWSA scores which have been lowest in my history of dealing with USMLE exams.

So in short, I believe this Step 3 exam was a test of my faith, my courage, my bravery, and my confidence.
All you need is 196 to pass Step 3, and I believed in my heart that it would be doable for me.

Since my was only a few months old, I did sleep on the couch in the living room away from the bedroom on 5/27 and 5/28 to ensure that I would get a minimum of 8 hrs of sleep on each of those days.

Day 1: 232 multiple-choice; 6 blocks of 38-39 items; total 45 minutes breaktime
Block 1
5 minute break
Block 2
5 minute break
Block 3
5 minute break
Block 4
15 minute break for lunch; left exam room first time
Block 5
10 minute break
Block 6
Done with day one.

I felt awful after the first day, 5-6 biostat questions each block, with 1 drug ad per block. 5 WTF questions, rest seemed fairly doable. I was having these recurring thoughts of what it would be to fail this exam, fellowship opportunities for me, and most importantly what this would mean for the future for my family. I was fighting these thoughts internally kept trying to focus on the positives of all the good wishes and prayers my friends and family had for me. Almost was down to the last minute on the first 4 blocks, then in frantic was able to complete blocks 5 and 6 with nearly 15 minutes remaining.

Day 2: 180 multiple-choice items, 6 blocks of 30 items; then 13 case simulations; total 45 minutes break time

Block 1
5 minute break
Block 2
5 minute break
Block 3
5 minute break
Block 4
10 minute break for lunch; left exam room first time
Block 5
5 minute break
Block 6
5 minute
Case 1-4
2 minute break
Case 5-8
2 minute break
Case 9-13
Done with day two.
I remember vividly that this drive to the test center was different, I kept saying to myself over and over that I am going to pass this exam. I kept envisioning myself to be the surgical oncologist I dream to be. I envisioned coming home to my wife who hugged me and congratulated me for passing this exam with good scores. I envisioned my son laughing and smiling on the day I would pass. I also wrote down passing step 3 as one of my top ten goals on 12/4/2018 in my journal. And most importantly I asked and prayed for the Lord to guide me, and bless me and my family.

No biostats at all, I felt very confident for most of the questions, at least 5 were WTF but most of the questions on this day surprisingly were from Step 1 and Step 2 CK material that I happened to review and remember.
The case simulations went by extremely fast, at least 3 of them ended abruptly for me, but at least 10 of them the patient improved and I knew I got the right diagnosis and treatment down. However due to this I had at least 2 hrs of break time left over. I believe my first year of prelim residency and crushing orders on the floors helped me tremendously in my typing speed. I walked out of this day feeling that it was possible for me to pass.

Over the next few weeks I would have these false thoughts of what it would be like to fail this exam. I had so much faith that God will bless me with a passing score, that I took my USMLE books and notes aside and put them in my storage closet, with the faith that I will never have to look at them again, and started reading Operative Techniques in surgery to prepare myself for the good surgeon I believe I am meant to be. This was a testimony of my faith in God.

I kept trying to stay positive thinking of all the good that I know, and all the good I will do. One of my good friend who was an internal medicine resident said, "If you think you did bad, you did good." I am grateful to say the he was right.

When I got my scores, I was thankful that I passed, and that I was well beyond the curve and well beyond my UWSA scores which was a relief to know that.

One piece of advice that I can give you:
Have faith and believe in yourself, if you have worked hard on your journey, trust your choices, don't change answers, and you will certainly pass this exam. For life is exactly what you speak and envision it to be.

View attachment 268524

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users

1561122165830.png

Reactions: 1 user
nice job but you really went overboard with the studying lol