Menu Icon Search
Close Search

About the ads

usmlerx?

Discussion in 'Step I' started by CALLR001, 04.28.12.

1. CALLR001

CALLR001

Medical Student
    SDN 2+ Year Member

SDN Members don't see this ad. (About Ads)
    I am about half way done with Uworld with a 78% but still have about 6 weeks till the real deal. I really enjoy doing questions and have already finished kaplan. I have been told that Uworld should be saved for last, but I didn't expect to be going through it so quickly. I was wondering if I should stop Uworld and start usmlerx and then restart and finish Uworld in a couple of weeks? Is usmlerx worth it or should I just continue to power through Uworld and go through it twice? By the way my goal score is 240.
  2. shan564

shan564 Below the fray

Resident [Any Field]
    SDN 7+ Year Member
    If you're getting 78% on UW and you're shooting for 240, you might as well take the exam tomorrow. :D

But more seriously... I went through a similar quandary a few weeks ago (except with a lower score). I was enjoying the questions, so I was doing a lot of them. The problem that arose after a while was that my scores didn't seem to be improving much from doing that many questions. So I dialed back the questions to 25-50 per day and started focusing more on primary studying. With the extra time, I was able to get through FA/Pathoma/DIT much more quickly/effectively and I saw a significant increase in my UW/Kaplan scores.
  3. CALLR001

CALLR001

Medical Student
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    Thanks for the response. I guess I can put more time into FA/Pathoma and maybe do less questions per day. Unfortunately, I find that much less stimulating. I have also noticed that doing a lot of questions hasn't really increased my performance much. I have been sitting at about 78% since I began uworld, granted that was only a week and a half ago. Do you think plateauing is a legitimate concern? Should I consider moving up my date a week or two? I know these are questions that I ultimately have to answer myself but any input would be appreciated.
  4. jumpmanv15

jumpmanv15

Resident [Any Field]
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    this

if i was gettin 78% i would take it asap, but thats just me. Can't hurt to go over the material one more time like FA, pathoma, and Uworld. Good luck man!
  5. angrybirds

angrybirds

Medical Student
    Hey,

Long term lurker here. Made an account just because I am in the same situation as you and wanted to see what you decide to do? I am around 70% complete in UWorld with an 81% (powering through because initially planned to go through it 2-3x) with 8 weeks left to go.

Have you taken any NBME practice tests yet? If not, take a NBME practice tests to see where you stand (take 2 or 3 to make sure the previous scores were not just a fluke). If you're happy with your score move up your test date. This is what I'm doing. I've taken 3 so far scoring 250-260's. I'm going to take one more this week, and if I score around there again, I'm going to move up my test date.

Best of luck! Let us know here what you decide and I will do the same.
  6. CALLR001

CALLR001

Medical Student
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    Thanks for the helpful response!
    I took one NBME practice test and scored in the high 250s. Since I am also doing fairly decent on Uworld and I would be happy with anything above a 240 I moved my test date up a little more than 1 week. I now take it May 28th. That still gives me time to repeat Uworld and go through FA again. Although I am still torn on whether to repeat Uworld or to start a new qbank.
  7. angrybirds

angrybirds

Medical Student
    Cool!

Yeah, I took another practice test and its within range. I will probably move my test date as soon as possible. Kinda want a vacation haha

Best of luck with everything!

// Share //

Style: SDN Universal