Menu Icon Search
Close Search

About the ads

USPHS - Don't Ask Don't Tell?

Discussion in 'NHSC | PHS | IHS' started by Grif, 08.23.10.

1. Grif

Grif Crazy About Psychology

Psychology Student
    SDN 2+ Year Member

SDN Members don't see this ad. (About Ads)
    I keep finding conflicting information online, so would like to hear from current or former USPHS interns. Does "Don't ask, don't tell" apply to civilian interns? JRCOSTEP/SRCOSTEP is technically under United States Department of Health and Human Services, along with the Indian Health Service (which is gay-friendly) and other agencies where they don't care.

At some point you're "active duty," the details of which are a bit hazy and variable. Some people report going to gov agencies, some people go to prisons (eep) and some work on military installations. I would think that on a military base, DADT would be in play, but I've also met openly gay/trans civilians who work for the VA with no problem. So it gets confusing.
  2. rxstar

rxstar

Pharmacy Student
    I've wondered about this myself... The one thing I found that is potentially helpful/reliable, is this resource: http://www.equalitymaryland.org/pdfs/dadt_survival_guide.pdf

Specifically:
    I'm not an intern or a commissioned officer, so I can't speak from first-hand experience. I have asked a few active duty PHS officers about DADT. Although none of them could tell me for sure the technical legalities, they've said that they know of openly gay officers that have had no problems, and that in general the PHS tends to be a gay-friendly workplace. Though I bet it'll depend quite a bit on the specific agency and location. Even if there isn't a specific policy discriminating against sexual orientation, I doubt there is a specific policy that protects against discrimination based on sexual orientation.
  3. OnTheOtherHand

OnTheOtherHand The Voice of GeneCo

Pre-Medical
    I've phoned their recruitment line to ask and the guy on the other end of the line said that they do accept transgender people.
  4. stusci

stusci

SDN 2+ Year Member
    OnTheOtherHand, what exactly does that mean? Does it matter what stage of transition the transgender person is in? Did the recruiter actually seem like he knew what he was talking about and not just trying to say things to encourage you to apply?

// Share //

Style: SDN Universal