All Branch Topic (ABT) USUHS DODMERB Stuttering

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ihatepremed

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello All,

I recently received an interview invite to USUHS next month and am currently completing my physical exams. While I am physically healthy, I do have a minor stutter, especially with words starting with st-. I have noticed this problem when growing up and have been able to successfully negate this up until now by just avoiding these words. I have gotten so well in doing this that many of my friends have never been able to notice it. Unfortunately, with the required Reading Aloud test, I will have to face this impairment. Although I know that this shouldn't be a problem with civilian schools, I am worried that I will be disqualified under AR 40-501:

"Any current receptive or expressive language disorder, including, but not limited to any speech impediment,
stammering and stuttering (307.0) of such a degree as to significantly interfere with production of speech or to repeat commands, does not meet the standard."

Do you guys think my stutter will be a problem? If so, would USUHS grant me a waiver?

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Hello All,

I recently received an interview invite to USUHS next month and am currently completing my physical exams. While I am physically healthy, I do have a minor stutter, especially with words starting with st-. I have noticed this problem when growing up and have been able to successfully negate this up until now by just avoiding these words. I have gotten so well in doing this that many of my friends have never been able to notice it. Unfortunately, with the required Reading Aloud test, I will have to face this impairment. Although I know that this shouldn't be a problem with civilian schools, I am worried that I will be disqualified under AR 40-501:

"Any current receptive or expressive language disorder, including, but not limited to any speech impediment,
stammering and stuttering (307.0) of such a degree as to significantly interfere with production of speech or to repeat commands, does not meet the standard."

Do you guys think my stutter will be a problem? If so, would USUHS grant me a waiver?

Thanks!

Lifetime stutterer and USUHS Grad here. I similarly am able to compensate in day to day conversation. I forgot about the Read Aloud Test. I can remember that being a source of anxiety with my DODMERB. Even if you stutter a few times during the test, I highly doubt that it will be noted as a condition requiring waiver or further evaluation, as it sounds like you are well over 95% fluent. Again 'significantly interfere' per the regulations, I would be very surprised if this required a waiver in your case. Worst case scenario, you need to get a waiver, I don't think that would be a problem. Don't let this discourage you!

That makes me feel much better! I never imagined this problem would one day come up and haunt me again but I guess that's life. Now I just have to focus on getting through the interview process...

+1 for BlackFrancis 33.
One of the potentially confusing but important things to remember (for any military/ DOD physical) is that "disqualifying condition" dos not mean that one is disqualified per se: A service (Navy/ Army, etc) can chose to waive a so called "disqualifying condition". In fact, this is routinely done. (I ran a MEPS for a few years, and understand this process.).