USUHS Secondary Essay

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Franzpop

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm presently writing my essay for my secondary USUHS application. I'm focusing on my desire to sacrifice, to serve, and backing it up with specific examples from my life. What else should I address in my essay?

Members don't see this ad.

I'm presently writing my essay for my secondary USUHS application. I'm focusing on my desire to sacrifice, to serve, and backing it up with specific examples from my life. What else should I address in my essay?

A few items for consideration:
-Why you want to be a military physician specifically
-A little bit about how the the professions of being a military officer and physician go well together (in my opinion, there are times when they don't mesh, but thats not good essay fodder). Integrity, core values, accountability...
-Any other stuff you have done that might contribute to being an officer in the military- leadership positions and the like
-Your level of comfort with the unpredictable nature of your career- how do you feel about long deployments, foreign countries, being somewhat restricted in your choice of specialty by operational needs, etc.

USUHS knows that you want to be a doctor. They need to know why you are interested in being a military doctor, beyond the "free" schooling.

Good luck!