UT Austin College of Pharmacy: Why is there an extra LITERATURE pre req?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

LEE ADAMA WILLIAMS

Reaction score
So apparently if you want to go to UT Austin COP you have to take an extra literature class outside of the core requirement even if you have a bachelors degree?

Michigan State, UNC Chapel Hill, UM twin cities, UCSF (All of which are ranked HIGHER than UTA) dont require this as a pre req.

TAMU, TTU, U of H, and other schools I didnt apply to dont require this pre req.

are there any UT Austin COP students who got accepted and managed to get around this massive inconvenience?

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited by a moderator:
  • Hmm
Reactions: 1 user
Uhh if you care about care about money, why do you want to become a pharmacist in the first place? You realize pharmacist salaries are dropping right? Three years ago I got hired at almost $60/hr but in just the past year the new hire rate has dropped to $40-50/hr. Just take out more loans. What's another hundreds of dollars on top of the $200k debt you're going to graduate pharmacy school?

The cost and "massive inconvenience" of one undergrad class is the last thing you should be worried about. There is a term for this called "penny smart, dollar foolish". If you think a few hundred dollars is a lot, what do you think about $200,000 for the cost of pharmacy school? Now try to imagine paying off that debt while working for Uber or serving tables because there will be no more pharmacist jobs by the time you become one. Talk about massive inconvenience.

Members don't see this ad :)
So apparently if you want to go to UT Austin COP you have to take an extra literature class outside of the core requirement even if you have a bachelors degree??? Why in gods name would they require something that stupid, do they think pharmacy students have the luxury of taking extra classes that cost them Hundreds of dollars and teach them nothing ( if you are a pretentious d!<k who thinks literature classes teach me anything I couldnt already learn from reading a book F-V<K OFF)

Michigan State, UNC Chapel Hill, UM twin cities, UCSF (All of which are ranked HIGHER than UTA) dont require this as a pre req.

TAMU, TTU, U of H, and other schools I didnt apply to dont require this pre req.

are there any UT Austin COP students who got accepted and managed to get around this massive inconvenience?

Or you can stop whining and don't apply.

Imagine caring about pharmacy school rankings.

I don't see you bitching about the genetics requirement, which many programs don't require

Reactions: 1 users
Passionate about pharmacy

Complains about having to take one additional class that costs hundreds of dollars

Still wants to take out $200k+ in loans to go to pharmacy school

Did you decide to look at pre reqs of pharmacy schools while you were applying or something? It shouldn't be such an inconvenience if you are already in school or back in school taking extra classes.

Last edited:
Did you decide to look at pre reqs of pharmacy schools while you were applying or something? It shouldn't be such an inconvenience if you are already in school or back in school taking extra classes.

Their website was very misleading about what classes you are exempt from if you have a bachelors degree

Or you can stop whining and don't apply.

Imagine caring about pharmacy school rankings.

I don't see you bitching about the genetics requirement, which many programs don't require

Because genetics actually teaches you something useful, and I have my reasons for caring about rankings as well as other things I wont disclose on this site

The cost and "massive inconvenience" of one undergrad class is the last thing you should be worried about. There is a term for this called "penny smart, dollar foolish". If you think a few hundred dollars is a lot, what do you think about $200,000 for the cost of pharmacy school? Now try to imagine paying off that debt while working for Uber or serving tables because there will be no more pharmacist jobs by the time you become one. Talk about massive inconvenience.
Ah yes, the obligatory "dont go to pharmacy school bc my life sucks" comment, thank you good sir

Ah yes, the obligatory "dont go to pharmacy school bc my life sucks" comment, thank you good sir

Did you read any of the responses? You are complaining about a course that costs less than 0.5% the cost of a PharmD. It is completely negligible and will make no difference in the long run.

My life is actually great. But the same opportunity won't exist for you, sorry to say.

Last edited:
Did you read any of the responses? You are complaining about a course that costs less than 0.5% the cost of a PharmD. It is completely negligible and will make no difference in the long run.

My life is actually great. But the same opportunity won't exist for you, sorry to say.
Yeah Im sure it is, thats why you reply to questions with "dont go to pharmacy school" instead of answering them.. You are clearly at the top of your profession and not the veritable kiddie table

Yeah Im sure it is, thats why you reply to questions with "dont go to pharmacy school" instead of answering them.. You are clearly at the top of your profession and not the veritable kiddie table

The answer to your question is because that's what the school decided. Not sure what you're looking for here. It's laughable that one pre-req is a "massive inconvenience". This is the last thing you should be worried about.

Members don't see this ad :)
The answer to your question is because that's what the school decided. Not sure what you're looking for here. It's laughable that one pre-req is a "massive inconvenience". This is the last thing you should be worried about.

Relative to other equally or higher ranked schools the extra literature class seems like a petty outlier, did you attend UT Austin COP?

Relative to other equally or higher ranked schools the extra literature class seems like a petty outlier, did you attend UT Austin COP?

Nope but it doesn't matter which pharmacy school you go to. Your employment prospects will be bad no matter which school you go to.

Nope but it doesn't matter which pharmacy school you go to. Your employment prospects will be bad no matter which school you go to.

I agree, idk why pharmD's are working as pill counters in retail, but im curious, how many primary author publications do you have in your CV?

I agree, idk why pharmD's are working as pill counters in retail, but im curious, how many primary author publications do you have in your CV?

None. Most pharmacists work in retail because they have nowhere else to work, or they need the income to pay their loans and support their family.

I’m curious, why are you pursuing a PharmD instead of a PhD if you have primary author publications? Those won’t matter if you get a PharmD since the vast majority end up in RETAIL (or unemployed).

• Hmm
I’m curious, why are you pursuing a PharmD instead of a PhD if you have primary author publications? Those won’t matter if you get a PharmD since the vast majority end up in RETAIL (or unemployed).

Good question. No idea why he asked how many I have, as they are irrelevant to obtaining a pharmacist job.

Here you go, I spoon-fed you:

Will composition II or technical writing fulfill the literature prerequisite requirement?
No. You must complete a 3-hour literature course that contains a significant a number of readings from literary works. British, American, and World literature courses will fulfill this requirement.

Do you provide transcript evaluations prior to the application submission process?
No. We recommend that you utilize the resources on our site and compare your transcript to our prerequisite requirements to see what requirements are still lacking. Students attending a Texas institution can also utilize the ATE (Automated Transfer Equivalency) System. If you have specific questions about a particular requirement, you can send an email to Pharm.D. Admissions.Generally, all science/math prerequisite courses should be for science or engineering majors. Business calculus will not fulfill our calculus requirement. Nor will courses following allied health degree plans count for our biology, microbiology, and chemistry requirements.

Here you go, I spoon-fed you:

Will composition II or technical writing fulfill the literature prerequisite requirement?
No. You must complete a 3-hour literature course that contains a significant a number of readings from literary works. British, American, and World literature courses will fulfill this requirement.

Do you provide transcript evaluations prior to the application submission process?
No. We recommend that you utilize the resources on our site and compare your transcript to our prerequisite requirements to see what requirements are still lacking. Students attending a Texas institution can also utilize the ATE (Automated Transfer Equivalency) System. If you have specific questions about a particular requirement, you can send an email to Pharm.D. Admissions.Generally, all science/math prerequisite courses should be for science or engineering majors. Business calculus will not fulfill our calculus requirement. Nor will courses following allied health degree plans count for our biology, microbiology, and chemistry requirements.

I will spoon feed you my question "are there any UT Austin COP students who got accepted and managed to get around this massive inconvenience?"