UT-Knoxville Acceptance?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

BatGirl012

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm an alumnus from UTK with a BS in animal science; I had a pre-veterinary concentration (in hopes of going to veterinary school after graduating). But I was rejected when I applied the first time, and the things I've been advised to do in order to strengthen that application have been proving incredibly difficult, financially stressful, and time-consuming, especially since student debt has started lurking.

Long story short, I'm looking into getting an MPH in epidemiology or public health policy.

I don't have much official experience within the field, but I'm thinking of just applying to some "easier to get into schools". I have a firm understanding of it--I have numerous relatives and friends that work within the PH field. I've worked with a veterinarian. I took classes in college.

Anyway. What would my chances of being accepted into UTK (or if you can give me some other TN schools like it)? I've got a 3.81 GPA, will have good recommendation letters once they're written, and my SOP is coming along. The only real problem might be my GRE--I got a 151 V/150 Q and 3.5 on the analytical writing but that was a TERRIBLE week for me, I was sick, and had only started studying for it (on my own) 3 weeks prior while also filling out vet school applications.
I've been studying again for about a month so far and plan on retaking it.

Members don't see this ad.

I would say that your GPA will help you, however I'm not sure how your GRE scores would be viewed - they may be inclined to put more weight on your scores with minimal public health work experience.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Reactions: 1 user
I would say that your GPA will help you, however I'm not sure how your GRE scores would be viewed - they may be inclined to put more weight on your scores with minimal public health work experience.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Yes, those were my thoughts as well.
I've heard that schools like UTK and ETSU don't put a lot of emphasis on having a "high" GRE--scores above a 300 and an analytical score of 4.5 or above should supposedly suffice. But I just don't want to take any chances since I'm already paying this much money and going to all the trouble of applying. If it helps drastically improve my chances of getting in, so be it.