UT Southwestern

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

starbuckscoffee

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello all,

I am looking for some first-hand info about UT-Southwestern to help me make my rank list. Please PM me if you have rotated there and are willing to share some info.

Thanks!!

Members don't see this ad.

I know the program very well. I don't know why this post should not be shared with others so here goes...

The program is one of the best in the country, in my opinion. Has everything you need:

1. large program in a very reputable medical school/center in a large city;
2. multiple subspecialty experts including yancey (immunobullous), cruz (contact and immunoderm), bergstresser (immunoderm), cockerell (path), taylor (surgery), jacobe (photo). they don't have peds in-house though but they rotate with gali who has a huge practice in the metroplex.
3. multiple sites: parkland, VA, university hospital, children's.
4. fellowships: dermpath, surgery.
5. the dallas and forth worth derm societies are very active and meet every 2 weeks with tons of clinical material brought in by UTSW and community derms.
6. dallas is a wonderful city: huge but not expensive, great climate, huge airport, great dining and shopping.

If you have any questions, let me know.

how about U Michigan vs UTSW? how dose Michigan compare to UTSW? of course dallas vs ann arbor is a HUGE difference.. :D

Members don't see this ad :)
how about U Michigan vs UTSW? how dose Michigan compare to UTSW? of course dallas vs ann arbor is a HUGE difference.. :D

Very similar HUGE (size of program in terms of residents and faculty) and TOPNOTCH programs, in my opinion. But PERSONALLY (to each his own, so please don't hate on me), this is a no-brainer --- six months of winter with endless snow in a small college town in a state that arguably is in big economic trouble would not make me want to go to Michigan if I had a choice at all. Of course, I'd go anywhere for 3 years to become a dermatologist.

I interviewed at the University of Michigan last year and would agree, it's an excellent program, particularly if you want to go into academics. Ultimately, I ended up ranking it a bit lower than I initially expected to because for me, it's a bit TOO academic. Essentially all of their patients are there as referrals -- for most common dermatologic problems (e.g. psoriasis) you can't make an appointment at U of M without having previously been seen by an outside dermatologist and then referred. Even for those patients that are referred for common problems, I believe they're typically only seen once at the U of M and then a treatment plan is made with follow up being set up with the referring dermatologist. I thought that was a bit odd and actually a detriment to training. For me, it would be important to see those patients back in clinic and to be able to assess their response to whatever treatment plan has been recommended. They also don't have a resident continuity clinic or a boarded pediatric dermatologist (at least as of last year) and those were two big things I think are critically important.

On the flip side, U of M has internationally recognized experts in many areas of dermatology on faculty, has a huge patient population. You'll see things there that you would rarely, if ever, see at most programs. It is an exceptional program and I still ranked it very highly. Ann Arbor is also a pretty cool place, in my opinion. If I've mischaracterized anything and someone is more familiar with the program, please correct me. I didn't interview at UT Southwestern, so I can't give you a direct comparison, but I hope this is helpful.