Which school is better for Pre-Med?

• UTD

• UH

Results are only viewable after voting.

aspiringOMsurgeon

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys, so I need some help deciding between the University of Houston and the University of Texas at Dallas. I got the Tier One Scholarship for UH which pays for 4 years of tuition and fees and two years of on campus housing and meals plus a research and study abroad stipend. I also received the Academic Honors Scholarship from UTD which is a complete coverage of UT Dallas tuition and mandatory fees plus a $3,000 per semester cash stipend. I currently live in the Dallas area so I would be able to commute to UTD every day. I want to know which university has a better pre-med program and opportunities for aspiring medical professionals like myself. This has been a really tough decision for me so far so any help is appreciated!

Members don't see this ad.

OP, it sounds like you got a pretty sweet deal with either.

Couple questions
How much is the study abroad and research stipend ? Do you have to do research at UH with that scholarship ? What do you plan on majoring in ?

Couple of observations: my friends who came from UTD had a good time and education. The ones that were premed had a good experience and were quite successful with UTD. UTD has some research going on on campus though since its not a tier 1 I'm not sure how ubiquitous it is compared to UH. However UTD has some partnerships with UTSW including a bs to to route and a close relationship with their admissions ( when I was a wee lad I had met with one of the admissions doc and he kept pushing for me to go to UTD vs another big state school) . the cash stipend is big especially if you live at home. UTD is also in Richardson is a nice area compared to the area surrounding UH( third ward)

UH is good school as well. Being Tier 1 means plenty of research opportunities and money. Probably more study abroad and research diversity . I cannot comment on the partnership of UH and Texas Medical Center or know much about UH premed but being in the same city and general (20-25 min) area of the TMC is big for potential researching and networking opportunities. I do known that last time I looked UH was on a plus minus grading system meaning it's easier to not get a 4.0 beacause of A- 's etc. Dunno how UTD grading is done .

Good luck. You'd get a great education no matter what. The biggie is doing well nonmattet where you are. Try not to take a bigger load than you can handle and get involved with community service, shadowing, research , and other extracurriculars/activities earlier than later to spread out the wealth and time.