UTHSC Memphis Letters of Recommendation Premed

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

orange_elephants

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm trying to figure out how many/which letters to send to UT for my medical school application. It says online : If you have already graduated from the undergraduate institution and your school feels too much time has lapsed for them to complete an evaluation, you will need to submit three (3) letters of reference with at least two (2) from science professors and one non-science reference letter. In addition, optional non-academic reference letters may be submitted, although no more than three (3).

But I just graduated in May so I didn't know if they have a different policy for students still enrolled or recently graduated.

Members don't see this ad.

I'm trying to figure out how many/which letters to send to UT for my medical school application. It says online : If you have already graduated from the undergraduate institution and your school feels too much time has lapsed for them to complete an evaluation, you will need to submit three (3) letters of reference with at least two (2) from science professors and one non-science reference letter. In addition, optional non-academic reference letters may be submitted, although no more than three (3).

But I just graduated in May so I didn't know if they have a different policy for students still enrolled or recently graduated.
It sounds like, if your school offers a committee letter, you should go through the process to get that. If not, or you needed to get it when you were still enrolled, then go with this alternative.

It sounds like, if your school offers a committee letter, you should go through the process to get that. If not, or you needed to get it when you were still enrolled, then go with this alternative.

My school doesn't offer a committee letter :/
Thanks for your help though!

Members don't see this ad :)
Have you tried contacting admissions about this? (They were super friendly and helpful when I contacted them about a question I had)
I feel like they will just have you do the two science, one nonscience thing, but I'd email to be sure.

I graduated in 2014, had my first application cycle in 2015 and reapplied this cycle. I used my committee letter both years. I would use the committee letter if you can.

Edit: nevermind. Didn't see that your school doesn't have one. I am pretty sure that the 2 science, 1 non-science LOR requirement is a good thing to have for most schools. I would check with each school you plan to apply to though.

If your school doesn't offer one, then you'll have to do it separately.

I applied to the same med school and my undergrad is known for committee letters. They just don't do it for alumni. Didn't come up beyond a simple Q&A