UTSW Class of 2009!!!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
if y'all decide to live in irving, living near 114 will make the commute fairly easy.

Members don't see this ad.

MadameLULU said:
if y'all decide to live in irving, living near 114 will make the commute fairly easy.

SEE! I told em that Madame LULU....

I imagine if I didn't have so many fond memories of Deep Ellum from years ago when hyou could still park down there, clubs were sketchier and it wasn't like a mall, I would think it was a cool thing. Instead its bitter sweet. However, I imagine it might be a very cool place to live.

Members don't see this ad :)
roja said:
I imagine if I didn't have so many fond memories of Deep Ellum from years ago when hyou could still park down there, clubs were sketchier and it wasn't like a mall, I would think it was a cool thing. Instead its bitter sweet. However, I imagine it might be a very cool place to live.

Deep Ellum has become WAY sketchier in the past few years. There has been a bunch of stabbings and shootings past 2am. It isn't the hip place to go out anymore. I think "those in the know" go down to Oakcliff or by Fair Park.

In my opinion, the only place worth visiting in Deep Ellum is the Angry Dog. Best. Burgers. In. Dallas.

Deep Ellum has fallen out lately. There are still some cool places to live there. Living in Uptown definitely seems to be the best choice based on price-location-quality. Plus if you are single, the scene is definitely not too shabby if you can get past the Dallas attitudes.

bump! oh, excuse me... :rolleyes:

UGH...very annoyed! I see everyone else at the other Texas schools getting more information, filling out loan apps...I feel left out...I thought I would get a head start by turning in my FAFSA in mid-January...pfft... :(

Prophecies said:
UGH...very annoyed! I see everyone else at the other Texas schools getting more information, filling out loan apps...I feel left out...I thought I would get a head start by turning in my FAFSA in mid-January...pfft... :(

I want my award letter now so I can makee final decisions. damnit, this is frustrating!! I feel sorry for those ppl who got accepted to schools which require applicants to let them know early, like Cleveland Clinic or Wake.

BTW, Happy belated b-day Prophecies. Hope you had a great day!

Has anybody heard anyword on when packages will be sent? Or is it just "late April".

Any final housing decisions been made? I have pretty much decided on the uptown area. A little pricey, but I can feel ok about leaving my apt at night and having something to do.

I got my finaid packet last night via email...yay for financial aid! I was so upset that they waited this long...I'm glad my monetary situation has been worked out. Did you receive your packet yet?

hehehe thanks for the bday wishes MadameLULU...yeah I had to work...it was grrrrrrrrrreat :rolleyes:

I got the email this weekend. I feel relieved. For some reason, I was waiting to send out acceptance retraction letters until this came. Now I just have to figure out how to pay for the unmet needs that the old fed decided I could come up with on my own. :)

Members don't see this ad :)
JWAG said:
I got the email this weekend. I feel relieved. For some reason, I was waiting to send out acceptance retraction letters until this came. Now I just have to figure out how to pay for the unmet needs that the old fed decided I could come up with on my own. :)

I also received my aid package a few days ago. Regarding the unmet need, I also had quite a bit ($9,000). I called up the financial aid office today to ask about the Federal Perkins Loan. Apparently, the government is debating whether or not to continue the perkins loan at all. So Southwestern isn't able to offer that money yet. The lady said they will know by July.

I plan on e-mailing my financial aid counselor to request additional aid in the form of Unsubsidized Stafford (since I maxed out on Sub Stafford).

Sorry to intrude, but since some of y'all are receiving your Fin. Aid stuff I was just wondering who you will be using as your Stafford lender? And why you chose them?

Thanks!

-tx

txguy said:
Sorry to intrude, but since some of y'all are receiving your Fin. Aid stuff I was just wondering who you will be using as your Stafford lender? And why you chose them?

Thanks!

-tx

I'm gonna go with T.H.E. (Total Higher Education) for my Stafford loans. They have zero origination fees and interest rate reductions once you start repayment. Although the back end benefits are meaningless if you plan to consolidate like I do.

Some other 0% origination lenders: AccessGroup, Wells Fargo

Ditto. Wherever I go to school, I plan on choosing the lender that will give me the most $$ upfront since I'm going to consolodate when everything is done.

apar01 said:
I'm gonna go with T.H.E. (Total Higher Education) for my Stafford loans. They have zero origination fees and interest rate reductions once you start repayment. Although the back end benefits are meaningless if you plan to consolidate like I do.

Some other 0% origination lenders: AccessGroup, Wells Fargo

Yep, T.H.E. is my number one choice so far....I've called them a couple of times and their customer service is excellent!

-tx

Is anybody else doing the summer research program? I decided that I want to do it, but do you think its too late? Who should I talk to about it? I emailed Dr. McPhaul but he never responded.

For unmet need...I had the same (about $5,000) and they said that they would increase my loan amounts by this weekend after I emailed them about it. You need to ask them to increase whatever loans you already have (Stafford I guess?) if no other loans are available for you. However, there are a lot of lender opportunities, including Bank of America, which has loans that are low interest for med students.

dcham said:
Is anybody else doing the summer research program? I decided that I want to do it, but do you think its too late? Who should I talk to about it? I emailed Dr. McPhaul but he never responded.
I don't think it's too late to start finding a mentor, but you had better hurry. Basically, you have to find a mentor on your own from the list provided at UTSW, and they set up everything (you both have to fill out a form and send it to Dr. McPhaul). I emailed Dr. McPhaul a few times and his replies were hit-and-miss. You don't need his permission to do anything...just find a mentor and go.

As for me, I chose not to do research simply because the stipend was too low and I already have a research job that would pay a lot more. I'm sorry, but $1,000 isn't enough to even live off of for three months...unless you live at home or something.

Prophecies said:
I don't think it's too late to start finding a mentor, but you had better hurry. Basically, you have to find a mentor on your own from the list provided at UTSW, and they set up everything (you both have to fill out a form and send it to Dr. McPhaul). I emailed Dr. McPhaul a few times and his replies were hit-and-miss. You don't need his permission to do anything...just find a mentor and go.

As for me, I chose not to do research simply because the stipend was too low and I already have a research job that would pay a lot more. I'm sorry, but $1,000 isn't enough to even live off of for three months...unless you live at home or something.

I thought the stipend was $3000?

Hi Southwestern Acceptees!

I'm at San Antonio right now, and I'm looking for a list of the Texas schools' acceptances to see where friends are going. Does Southwestern have an online list of acceptances?

If so, please link it on my Thread:
http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=195557

Thank you so much!

~Abbiequeen :)

So, this is the first time (after a LONG career of lurking) that I've posted on SDN.

I didn't know a better way to get back in touch w/ people I met at MS0 day. At that point I really wasn't sure I was going to come to UTSW. Well - I'm sure now. I'm coming! And I'm pretty excited about it, truth be told =).

Unfortunately, I'm not doing research this summer - I'm spending one last summer near home in San Francisco, CA. I think I might do it between MS1 and MS2. Everyone who's doing it this summer - hope it goes well, and I hope you'll share what your experience was like!

I'm really looking foward to seeing everyone in August. Congrats to soon-to-be grads, and happy almost-last summer (at least for awhile) to everyone.

Cheers,
Julia
Hometown: Palo Alto, CA
Undergrad: Emory University (Atlanta, GA)

Congrats and welcome Julia.

I decided not to do research either this summer. I can make more money, plus have one last summer to myself. To find a mentor, just look on the UTSW website and email them. There is a list of mentors looking for students or you can try the general faculty list.

MadameLULU said:
Ditto. Wherever I go to school, I plan on choosing the lender that will give me the most $$ upfront since I'm going to consolodate when everything is done.

I wouldn't bank on that... I heard the rules for consolidation may change and it will become less advantageous to do so in the future.

hey guys, i was having some drinks last night with some guys going to other texas medical schools and they were talking about this network - so here i am! i hope everyone is well.

i'm a slacker and didn't get to ms0 day, but i look forward to meeting you guys face to face in august (the 12th, right?)

julie - you've made the right decision to stay in san francisco. there will be plenty of summers to do research, but only one to enjoy your last summer free of medical school stress in san francisco! i think that's the best city in the nation. i used to live in california and i envy you.

i could put some smiley faces and stuff here, but i'll refrain.

has anyone made any living decisions yet? i've done some cursory research and it costs the same to rent and to buy in dallas (rent vs. mortgage+insurance+condo fee+tax) i've been working for awhile so since i've got some money i'm looking at buying. but i'm not sure where. i've heard that uptown is great but it seems a bit pricey. any dallas exerts or real estate gurus have tips?

on a different note, have you guys heard the rumors about how southwestern is uber competitive and cutthroat, etc? i didn't get that impression at the interview - but people feel the need to tell me this stuff. i suppose in the end it's up to all of us, hey?

take it easy!

Hey all,
Not to be rude or anything, but you all are sad, I finally found this thread on page 9 only 'cause I was looking for it. I was wonderin' if there is anyone from out of state still thinking about UTSW or somewhere else. I am on the out of state waitlist and am curious what could happen to it. Also, do alot of you have scholarships or is your finaid all loans? Currently I am accepted at UTMB with a scholarship, I really would like SW but it would be substantially more without the scholarship...
Thanks!

Yeah...no one really posts anything :( *sigh* Oh well...here are my replies:

Competitiveness:
Yeah, I *heard* UTSW was competitive, but I haven't received that impression. Also, I have a few friends that just finished up their MS1 year and they said it wasn't competitive at all...actually it's very cooperative and "buddy buddy" and such. Sounds good to me :oops:)

Financial aid:
Yes, you can get a scholarship from UTSW...mine is for $14,000 for four years...yeah it's not a whole lot, but that's $14,000 less in loans. They should offer you a scholarship (especially if you are out-of-state) when you get the financial aid packet but you have to make sure you fill out your parent's information on the FAFSA or you can't receive any in-school scholarships from UTSW.

YAY UTSW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! w00t w00t!

I didn't think UTSW seemed competitive, but I think the letter grading system CAN create more competition than schools with a Pass/Fail system.

Regarding withdrawing- I most likely will withdraw, but I'm in-state.

Hey Guys and Gals:

Just surfin' around SDN and found this interesting thread...I'm an MS4 (graduating in 28 days) at UTSW and can tell you from my experience it's not "super competitive" here, unlike the rumors you hear on the interview trail. Although there is letter grading (which i think only serves to benefit you during the residency application process), MOST people here are pretty laid back and definitely NOT cutthroat. There are always a few "gunners" (using this term loosely), but they are not the majority of people at UTSW. Glad to here y'all are exciting about coming to UTSW, it really is an awesome med school. Best of luck and enjoy!

Oh, one more little tidbit...T.H.E. is pretty kick a$$ for loans, but make sure you change lenders at least once during the four year period. Doing this enables you to consolidate (which I'm working on now) with whomever offers the best rate. If you keep the same lender, you can only consolidate with them (which sucks, esp. if there rates are not competitive compared to the market). Anyway, sorry to go on, but i have friends who got burned on this....

klubguts said:
Hey Guys and Gals:

Just surfin' around SDN and found this interesting thread...I'm an MS4 (graduating in 28 days) at UTSW and can tell you from my experience it's not "super competitive" here, unlike the rumors you hear on the interview trail. Although there is letter grading (which i think only serves to benefit you during the residency application process), MOST people here are pretty laid back and definitely NOT cutthroat. There are always a few "gunners" (using this term loosely), but they are not the majority of people at UTSW. Glad to here y'all are exciting about coming to UTSW, it really is an awesome med school. Best of luck and enjoy!

Oh, one more little tidbit...T.H.E. is pretty kick a$$ for loans, but make sure you change lenders at least once during the four year period. Doing this enables you to consolidate (which I'm working on now) with whomever offers the best rate. If you keep the same lender, you can only consolidate with them (which sucks, esp. if there rates are not competitive compared to the market). Anyway, sorry to go on, but i have friends who got burned on this....

Do you have this years match list?

MadameLULU said:
Do you have this years match list?
Here it is....we rocked!

Anesthesia: UTSW, Hopkins, Columbia, UCSF, Stanford, UIC, Cleveland Clinic, UPenn, Oshner (new orleans)

Derm: UTSW

ER: UTSW, Vanderbilt, Carolinas Medical Center, Medical College of Georgia, Jacksonville (Fl), UCLA Harbor

Family: Waco (TX), Harlingen (TX), Alaska, Albany (GA), St. Anthony's (OK), UTSW

IM: Emory, UIC, U of Colorado, Duke, Baylor (Houston), UCSF, Columbia, Wash U, MGH, Baylor (Dallas), Presby Dallas, Louisville (KY), San Diego (Navy), Walter Reed (D.C.), Portland (OR), UTSW

Med-Peds: Duke

Neurology: UTSW, UAB

Neurosurgery: WashU, Medical College of Georgia

OBGyn: UTSW, NYU, Chicago, Bethesda, Washington Hospital Center (D.C.)

Optho: UTSW

Ortho: UTSW, Emory, UTMB, Campbell Clinic (Memphis, TN), Westchester, NY

ENT: Tulane, Stanford

Pathology: UTSW, U of Michigan, Cleveland Clinic

Pediatrics: Duke, UTSW, CHOP, Wash U, USC, Tulane, Northwestern, Yale, UCinnci, LA, UC Irvine, Oakland Children's, Baylor-Texas Childrens, Primary Childrens (Salt Lake City), McKayDee (SLC), Memphis

PM & R: UTSW

Psyche: Harvard Longwood, Albert Einstein/Montefiore (NY), UTSW, Montreal

Rads: UTSW, OSU, Baylor Dallas, U of Maryland, Emory, UTMB, Albert Einstein, Rush, UT Houston

Rad-Onc: Vanderbilt

General Surgery: UTSW, UT Memphis, Tulsa (OK), U of Colorado, Cleveland Clinic, Mayo Clinic, UTMB, UC Irvine, Baylor Dallas, Wright Patterson AFB, Travis AFB, Keesler AFB

Urology: Cornell, Brigham and Womens Hospital, Tulane, Wash U

Do we pay a deposit to hold our position at UT SW?

I don't think so.

i hope not - b/c i haven't paid anything. to my knowledge we just need to get those vaccinations.

and send in transcripts

Hi all! I am joining your class. I was waitlisted and got the call from Dr. Wright today. I am thrilled!

Congratulations and welcome!! :)

wow - great news! congrats! as you'll soon see, no one really talks much here...

v j said:
wow - great news! congrats! as you'll soon see, no one really talks much here...
I agree...let's get a discussion going. So what are you guys doing this summer? I was suckered into doing the summer research thing for MS0s, but I'll be staying in McKinney so now I am kinda starting to regret it :\

I am going to Costa Rica for five weeks to learn Spanish and play in the rainforest. My husband is taking a leave of absence so he can go. We are going to live with a family in a little town called Orosi.

This week we are going to be condo shopping. Anybody else thinking of buying or has already bought something?

Also, has anyone here not taken biochemistry? It is STRONGLY RECOMMENDED, but I have run out of time. Any ideas on what to do to be prepared?

Tiffany

P.S. I am so excited to be going to UTSW. Getting the call from Dr. Wright was like getting into medical school all over again, though better, because I knew I would get in, just not where. And UTSW is my top choice. I have been on cloud 9 for days.

My major was biochemistry, and one of my friends who just finished her MS1 was also a biochem major...she said undergraduate biochemistry probably would help very little, since the course at UTSW is different. She said undergrad biochem helped with pathways like glycolysis and stuff, but when it came to everything else...it wasn't that much of a help. I wouldn't worry about it :)

Congrats neoncandle!!

Does anyone know how we can check to see if UTSW has received our transcripts and immunization records? Do we need to call them or is there a website with that info? Thanks in advance.

Bright Star said:
Congrats neoncandle!!

Does anyone know how we can check to see if UTSW has received our transcripts and immunization records? Do we need to call them or is there a website with that info? Thanks in advance.
LOL...actually I emailed them last night and they were able to verify that they received my final transcript from undergrad. But immunizations--aren't we supposed to wait for the form from the Student Health Center? That's what they said at MS0 day... ...

I am going to Costa Rica for five weeks to learn Spanish and play in the rainforest. My husband is taking a leave of absence so he can go. We are going to live with a family in a little town called Orosi.

Tiffany -

That is so awesome - you will have a fabulous time in Costa Rica! My boyfriend and I spent 8 days there over my spring break, and it was such a great time. You can travel all over the country for very little money with frequent comfortable (no kidding - a lot of them are made-over tour buses) public buses, and there is so much to see! I definitely recommend taking a week or so on the Caribbean coast (Puerto Viejo and Cahuita are both really sweet little coastal towns)...you will wonder how we can possibly live life as fast as we do in the U.S. And you will be amazed by the pristine, gorgeous, not-crowded-at-all beaches.

Which rainforest area are you going to - the cloudforests up in Monteverde, or the ones in the northern-central part of the country? The only one we went to was in Sarapiqui (there is a biological reserve/research station there, and it's sort of off the beaten track as far as tourists are concerned), so I don't really have much basis for comparison, but I was quite blown away!

If the people I encountered in my one week are any indication, I think you will find the family you live with to be uncommonly warm, friendly, and helpful. Must be something in the water over there...wish we could import it here sometimes =).

Anyway, as you can tell, I'm wishing it was me going again! Have a wonderful visit, and I hope you will share some Costa Rica stories with me when we meet in August!

Safe travels,
Julia

Prophecies said:
LOL...actually I emailed them last night and they were able to verify that they received my final transcript from undergrad. But immunizations--aren't we supposed to wait for the form from the Student Health Center? That's what they said at MS0 day... ...

In our packet from MS0 day there is a sheet from the Student Health Center that has al lthe immunizations we need and the address where we need to have our records sent too. It also has a sheet at the back where you can get your health care provider to fill out your immunizations records and send it to them. I just gave them a call today and they said they had received my records but needed some clarification on dates for some of my immunizations. And of course I need a tetanus shot so I got to get that. Their number is 214-648-3320 if you want to call and have them send you the information.

Just thought I would give a shizzout! Congrats to those of yall who graduated!

wow - costa rica. that sounds amazing. you'll have a much more exciting summer than i will. i'm just hanging out, relaxing, and reading as much as i can before school starts b/c i imagine my pleasure reading will be severely reduced once we start.

i'm also looking to buy a condo. i'm looking at places just north of downtown. there's quite a range but from what i can tell, that's the best place to go. if anyone has any tips please tell.

about immunizations, you're supposed to get them beforehand. look into it, there's one that takes like 2 or 3 months or something. and call the registrar's office for transcript stuff. ask for a guy named tim williamson.

Grr I better find that immunization form! Do they require any physician signatures for vaccinations, because that could be a problem--all I have are dates from an immunization record, but some of them were transferred from previous pediatricians so they don't have a signature.

And just a little rant...I am very upset with the lack of the varicella vaccine availability for non-pediatric physicians. I have called several IM, general, and family practicioners and none of them carry the vaccine. There is no way I am paying $80 for the vaccine at county health. *hmph*