UTSW schedule

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Madhatter

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Does anyone know the typical daily schedule at UTSW, ie, time fellows go in and go home, call frequency, etc? I really want to be in Dallas but will have a newborn and am trying to get an idea before applying.

Members don't see this ad.

on the cardiology months like at parkland or the va, the fellows usually show up when rounds start in the morning at 8 typically. sometimes fellows for the post call team might show up earlier just to touch base with us for updates from the night etc. on those months, i felt like the fellow was just an extra body to help if necessary and was a messenger for the attending but the housestaff bore the brunt of the pain which is expected from a more resident driven place like utsw.

Thank you so much for your reply! Do you know what the CICU and interventional days are like? What time do you end on a typical day? How bad is the home call?

Thanks for any help, just trying to plan life and future childcare options etc :).

Members don't see this ad :)
There is Parkland and VA cardiology rotations which cover floor and ICU patients so there are 4 resident teams with 2 fellows and 2 attendings to split the resident teams. so again, usually its normal work hours essentially for the fellow where they will leave in the afternoon if theres no issues with the patients. usually the fellow might leave before me while i'm finishing up work for the day. you do usually have a day during the week where you have clinic. home call is home call so its either hit or miss. it kinda depends on the situation but if there is a sick patient then usually the fellow will come in. I don't know the specifics about interventional but it seems like just normal work hours. there are also some things over at the university hospital like CHF and a cardiology rotation with housestaff that require a little more work from the fellow just because.

i think there are definitely some more rigorous cards fellowships especially at places like cleveland clinic where the fellows essentially are residents. a lot of fellows have families and kids and they get by just fine so i wouldn't worry about anything. i don't know where you are at for training right now but its more or less the same thing that you're having to go through now except maybe with less overnight call

Thanks!! Sounds like a great place, hoping I can match there :)