VA credentialing for residents

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

belle54321

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
The last time I rotated thru VA as a student was pre-9/11, so I guess a lot has changed. As I am about to start my residency in July, I had done my hospital credentialing, but was taken aback with the VA credentialing process (isn't it a little late to start this in mid-may!). I have done my paper application, but I am waiting for my eQIP and fingerprinting. I have no red-flags, but it is still a little intimidating to go through a federal background check. I was doing a little research on my own and was wondering if I would have to fill out SF-86 or SF85 or other forms. And for residents, do they really call all the references (neighbors, personal, relatives, etc.)?

Members don't see this ad.

The last time I rotated thru VA as a student was pre-9/11, so I guess a lot has changed. As I am about to start my residency in July, I had done my hospital credentialing, but was taken aback with the VA credentialing process (isn't it a little late to start this in mid-may!). I have done my paper application, but I am waiting for my eQIP and fingerprinting. I have no red-flags, but it is still a little intimidating to go through a federal background check. I was doing a little research on my own and was wondering if I would have to fill out SF-86 or SF85 or other forms. And for residents, do they really call all the references (neighbors, personal, relatives, etc.)?

They did check my references for all that background stuff. I honestly can't remember when I started it, but it didn't take as long as I thought it would. And I don't know how many responses they have to get back before they feel OK with the check. Anyway, though, you're right -- it's a crazy process. I actually felt a little violated filling out the form.

(As an incoming intern) We have done a bunch of random paperwork, but I don't even think we've filled out references and stuff (that I remember doing for my med school rotations). Yikes!

Members don't see this ad :)
The paperwork for my VA seems to be endless. I've filled out about 5 different forms, some of which have like 4 or 5 pages each. I've gotten fingerprinted (today actually). Crazy. Then there was that 130 slide online tutorial with questions every few slides. All this crap has taken up a LOT of my time.

The paperwork for my VA seems to be endless. I've filled out about 5 different forms, some of which have like 4 or 5 pages each. I've gotten fingerprinted (today actually). Crazy. Then there was that 130 slide online tutorial with questions every few slides. All this crap has taken up a LOT of my time.

I am waiting for the fingerprinting and the online forms. I was also told about the online tutorial yesterday, which I guess is new this year (at least at my VA). The funny thing is yesterday I went to drop off some forms at the VA. I walked through 5 buildings without a single security check. No one stopped me, but many people smiled and politely nodded at me. ( I forget how friendly some veterans are!) I was expecting to go through mental detectors, bag search, but nothing! Most hospitals including the ambulatory wing would have some kind of security/ID check. I was a little surprised by the lack of security.

Last edited:
I am waiting for the fingerprinting and the online forms. I was also told about the online tutorial yesterday, which I guess is new this year (at least at my VA). The funny thing is yesterday I went to drop off some forms at the VA. I walked through 5 buildings without a single security check. No one stopped me, but many people smiled and politely nodded at me. ( I forget how friendly some veterans are!) I was expecting to go through mental detectors, bag search, but nothing! Most hospitals including the ambulatory wing would have some kind of security/ID check. I was a little surprised by the lack of security.

The VAs have Mental Detectors now? :D
Could've used a few of those back in my day... :laugh: