VA hiring practices

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

voyeurofthemind

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Is the typical recipe for success in getting hired at a VA a VA internship + a VA postdoc? I was planning on limiting myself to VA postdocs because I want a VA career after post doc. However, an opportunity outside the VA for postdoc has emerged that may be too good to pass up if I were extended an offer.

Will I be significantly decreasing the likelihood of being hired the VA I would have done postdoc at down the road? I want to stay in the area and not move to fill any open position within the VA system.

Members don't see this ad.

Is the typical recipe for success in getting hired at a VA a VA internship + a VA postdoc? I was planning on limiting myself to VA postdocs because I want a VA career after post doc. However, an opportunity outside the VA for postdoc has emerged that may be too good to pass up if I were extended an offer.

Will I be significantly decreasing the likelihood of being hired the VA I would have done postdoc at down the road? I want to stay in the area and not move to fill any open position within the VA system.

I doubt it would significantly decrease your odds if you already had significant prior VA experience.

That said - if you have an opportunity to get "in" at the exact site you hope to obtain employment at later, than I would likely jump at the chance to do so.

Members don't see this ad :)
Agree with the above--it can help, especially if the postdoc and/or internship is at the site where you're trying to get hired, but it's not necessary. And even with a VA internship & postdoc, you of course aren't guaranteed much of anything.

You do get to transfer your leave, though, and the time on internship/postdoc counts toward your service history in terms of how much annual leave you accumulate per pay period; that can be pretty nice.

I wouldn't think so, since you have significant VA experience. Our VA regularly hires former VA trainees, even if they only had a VA externship and did internship and postdoc outside the system. I would do whatever is going to be best for your training, since that's the point of postdoc.

The only thing I can think of is that you may be eligible for more job listings if you're a current federal employee. I'm not sure how much that matters for psychologist positions, of course.