VA hospital job

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

math123

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello Everyone!,
I dont know if this is a correct place to post this or not but I am currently a intern in internal medicine and I am really interested in working at the VA clinic as a PCP after i graduate residency. I was wondering how hard is it to get a VA job in PCP right after residency and is it hard to qualify for the loan forgivness program that they have as well ( EDRP). Thank you everyone! I appreciate your time!

Members don't see this ad.

I can't speak to difficulty getting the job, but the posting that you would apply for must have EDRP listed as one of the incentives. Not all jobs/locations come with that incentive.

I am looking at likely working VA after my active duty time. I'm psychiatry so can't necessarily speak to primary care but from what I can tell, seems VA are pretty regularly looking for physicians especially PCP and MH. It does need to specify EDRP which mental health is a high need specialty and many of the job listings have my specialty listed as EDRP. I wouldn't be surprised that many primary care positions are EDRP as well.

Members don't see this ad :)
Double check, but the vast majority of VA physician jobs include EDRP. You're an intern, so you're still 2 years away, but I bet that'll still be the case. EDRP is never competitive. The job either offers it or it doesn't. Physician jobs in general are not competitive, particularly in primary care. You've done the competitive parts already. The VA is, generally, on the low end of even that level of competitiveness. You didn't mention where you were. It's possible that if you are in the heart of San Francisco or NYC, there may be some slight competition. I'd recommend searching on usajobs.gov and contacting the physician recruiter you find in a nearby job to get firm concrete answers to your questions. You'll also brighten their day a good deal. :)

Last edited:
Yeah won't be hard to get a job especially if open to moving even slightly from where you are located at now. Most of the physician jobs have EDRP included with them. If the listing on usajobs does not then contact the HR contact person for the listing on there and often times they can add it to it if you want it and they want to hire you.