VA Internship--Maternity Leave Question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PsychIntern365

Reaction score
Hey all, I was hoping anyone had any insight into what VAs do regarding maternity leave for interns? It appears they've taken away the paid maternity leave, as well as some other benefits, for interns starting with this 2022-2023 internship class. Does anyone who currently works for a VA know what options are available if an intern does give birth during internship year? Especially in states that may not have other state-level maternity leave practices? I imagine an intern wouldn't qualify for FMLA.

Members don't see this ad.

Does anyone who currently works for a VA know what options are available if an intern does give birth during internship year?
Discuss this with your TD as much in advance as possible. They are most likely going to be understanding and will help to identify a reasonable amount of approved leave without pay to maintain your health insurance & intern status and you'll 'make up' the time afterwards (e.g., if you take 2 months off for maternity leave, you'd stay on for 2 extra months after your cohort finishes). Congrats!

Reactions: 1 user
Discuss this with your TD as much in advance as possible. They are most likely going to be understanding and will help to identify a reasonable amount of approved leave without pay to maintain your health insurance & intern status and you'll 'make up' the time afterwards (e.g., if you take 2 months off for maternity leave, you'd stay on for 2 extra months after your cohort finishes). Congrats!
I second this. I was a supervisor for an Intern who returned to finish out her internships hours (several months after her cohort left). Our TD found supervisors and training opportunities for her to finish after she took time off with her infant (she came back to work with us for 3-months). I believe she exhausted her PTO/leave time and then, continued to be at home with her infant with no pay (but then, returned for pay when she worked that last 3months).

Congratulations and best wishes!

Members don't see this ad :)
Good advice above, and congratulations!

Being an intern in and of itself would not disqualify you from FMLA. However, you need to be employed for 12 months prior to taking the leave (and work a minimum number of hours) to be eligible for FMLA benefits.

ETA- APPIC has some policies/resources on this topic: For Students

They bring up the important issue of asking about liability coverage during the leave.

Last edited:
Hi there! Not sure how helpful it would be but there might be some nuggets in the past threads I created about this topic (though I started late rather than leaving in the middle). I started late as an intern at at a VA and I am just extended my internship year to make up that time. Unless it was something special at your VA, there weren't any paid leave benefits this year either (nor do I think in recent years, though I'm not positive). There was another intern at our institution who took 3 or 4 months off in the middle of her internship year, I don't think she had any benefits, but they just extended her year to make up the time. I think what @CheetahGirl outlined seems the most likely course of action. Feel free to message me with any questions about things like pumping etc!