VA Medical Center Loan Repayment

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

O Gurl

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi, all!

I am exploring loan repayment options in clinical psychology and was wondering if anyone knows if the Education Debt Reduction Program (EDRP) is available at all VAMCs or just those in rural/under-served locations?

Thanks a bunch!

Members don't see this ad.

I am no expert, but my general sense is that loan repayment through the VA is a joke and available to very few psychologists. Employment at VA will also render you ineligible for an NIH loan repayment award (which is probably your best bet if you are a researcher). I think the same applies to any other federal loan repayment programs as well. VA can be a wonderful place to work if your heart is in it, but be wary of what it might entail for your loan repayment options.

Hi, all!

I am exploring loan repayment options in clinical psychology and was wondering if anyone knows if the Education Debt Reduction Program (EDRP) is available at all VAMCs or just those in rural/under-served locations?

Thanks a bunch!

I work at a VA in California and I just discovered that the rules for the Federal Student Loan Repayment program have recently changed, and no longer require you to be working in an underserved area to qualify for loan repayment monies.

However, monies only become available at the beginning of the fiscal year, and only when the particular agency gets the money disbursed to them, so it's hard to know exactly when to apply - my sense is its a mad scramble at every VA that gets doled out this money. I will be trying to apply when the application window opens again this year / next year, so I will report back if I have any success in scoring myself a chunk of change.

Members don't see this ad :)
It is definitely a cluster...I know multiple people who are doing it through the VA, and it was far from clear cut. One person got more than another, while a third person tried to secure it, but the funding was not available at that time. I would definitely ask around because it seems to be a moving target.

From what I know about it, certain positions offer the repayment as a kind of perk. Best bet is to ask whoever's doing the hiring whether entry into the repayment program is a possibility.

Hey, guys. Thanks for the insights. It sounds like it is possible, but like with most gov't-related things, is kind of a process to secure. Thankfully, I have a bit of time to ask around (started my internship at a VA this week) before decided on a first (real) job.