va optometrist

This forum made possible through the generous support of
SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

nampa1

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
How is practice different at the VA as opposed to private practice? What increased scope of practice do they have? What is their patient demographics like and what pathology do they see and how do they treat it?
What are the pluses and negatives of VA optometry, practice wise, vis a vis private practice.

Members don't see this ad.

negative: less pay than private practice.

My neighbor's son in law is an optometrist at the VA in my town. We used to go to the same church. If I knew him well, I could ask, but I don't.

I actually shadow ODs at the VA and its true the pay is less, its about $34K/yr. But its also a nice cushy 9 to 5 deal. The pay isnt great but I believe you get benefits thru Federal govt and you can treat patients for glaucoma. A lot of the patients are Veterans (duh) so they are older a lot of encounters with cataracts, macular degeneration, glaucoma suspects, and so forth. It seems like a good environment to learn because you have attending ODs that are there for a 2nd opinion and also referring patients right away to the OMDs working there in the same clinic. It is definitely worth looking into for residency in my opinion =).

Members don't see this ad :)
VA OD's are permitted to practice at the scope level of whatever state they are licensed in, regardless of where their VA is located. The only exception is that OD's with an Oklahoma license are not allowed to do surgeries.

Great! I heard ODs have more responsibliity over patients and treat them independently of an OD? What kind of procedures would they do?

34k a year? give me walmart

I actually shadow ODs at the VA and its true the pay is less, its about $34K/yr. But its also a nice cushy 9 to 5 deal. The pay isnt great but I believe you get benefits thru Federal govt and you can treat patients for glaucoma. A lot of the patients are Veterans (duh) so they are older a lot of encounters with cataracts, macular degeneration, glaucoma suspects, and so forth. It seems like a good environment to learn because you have attending ODs that are there for a 2nd opinion and also referring patients right away to the OMDs working there in the same clinic. It is definitely worth looking into for residency in my opinion =).

That can't be correct. When I was a resident in 2001 there were VA residents who were making only slightly less than $34k as a resident. Surely the attendings are being paid much more than that.

VA OD's are permitted to practice at the scope level of whatever state they are licensed in, regardless of where their VA is located. The only exception is that OD's with an Oklahoma license are not allowed to do surgeries.
Not entirely true. OD's are still subject to the whims of the head OMD. When I was in California, the VA OD's could only practice to the level of CA even if they had licenses in more liberal states. It all depends on your location.

I agree, how can the salary only be $34K?? I don't care if the job was a cushy 9 to 5. Screw that! I make more than that as an Optician now!! Why would anybody want to go to 4 yrs. of OD school to make less than $40K a yr?? Every OD I've ever met has made over $100K if they work at least 4 days a week.

how does a typical day differ from private practice? Other then benefits and guaranteed income, why would someone choose the VA? Thanks.

What's a typical day like at the VA? How does it differ from private practice? Other then benefits and a guaranteed income, why would optometrists prefer to work there? THanks.

The big advantage to me is that you don't have to deal with the retail aspect of the profession. In private or corporate practice it is all about the sale of product in regards to making a living.

The big advantage to me is that you don't have to deal with the retail aspect of the profession. In private or corporate practice it is all about the sale of product in regards to making a living.

you also get all the federal holidays off. Nice ! :D