VA + Private Sector Job

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

postbacpremed87

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Do you know if it is possible to take a job as a VA psychiatrist (40 hours a week) Monday-Thursday, but then supplement with a 1099 private practice gig on Fridays for 8 hours. Does the VA stop you from doing that due to their set up?

Members don't see this ad.

Do you know if it is possible to take a job as a VA psychiatrist (40 hours a week) Monday-Thursday, but then supplement with a 1099 private practice gig on Fridays for 8 hours. Does the VA stop you from doing that due to their set up?

Our psychiatrist in the is outpatient clinic work s 4 days a week, but its 32 hours.

Members don't see this ad :)
Yeah, you can do this. Where I'm at it's ok as long as you let the department director know what you're doing and it doesn't interfere with your work at the VA.
I don't know if it's actually legal for them to say "no". I bet it isn't, but it's still a good idea to be cooperative about it.
I am an "at-will" employee for the VA, meaning there is no contract, just a letter of agreement of what I'm expected to do and what they provide in return for compensation. No contract = no non-compete clauses or anything.
Only thing I really don't like about the VA is that apparently you can't run for political office if you work for the VA, or take money for doing things when you represent yourself as a VA employee (like lectures, conferences, etc.)

Any institution usually requires you mention your outside work but outside practice is almost always not a problem. What is a problem, as far as I know is most state facilities will not allow you to do commercial pharmaceutical stuff.

Any institution usually requires you mention your outside work but outside practice is almost always not a problem. What is a problem, as far as I know is most state facilities will not allow you to do commercial pharmaceutical stuff.
Nor will the VA. No drug rep dinners, no speaker fees, no reps bringing you lunches. nada.

You may have trouble working four 10 hour days because the VA clinic will only be open set hours and you won't be able to see patients there when the office staff is gone. And you can bet they don't come in early or stay late for anything.

You may have trouble working four 10 hour days because the VA clinic will only be open set hours and you won't be able to see patients there when the office staff is gone. And you can bet they don't come in early or stay late for anything.

Word...

Sitting in the office of an attending who works 3 days/week at this VA. Several docs here work part-time here, part-time private or even community setting to vary practice. Seems like a great way to go if you are interested in working at a VA.