Vaccine hesitancy

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I think almost everyone has already had the disease.
The local medical university in my state did a study where they estimated the percent of people in my state that have either had COVID or have been vaccinated. It was over 70% in many counties, and that was a month ago.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
Instead of people getting vaccinated?

I'm very far from a woke virtue signaling liberal but to say the vaccine didn't change things massively is completely absurd.
I don't think he/she was saying that, but I agree with you. The vaccines have been hugely helpful where they've been widely given. You're still my favorite woke virtue-signaling liberal, though.

• Haha
Watching your loved one tossed into large pile of burning dead bodies is probably something that should only happen in Hollywood movies.
This was best portrayed in The Holy Grail. "Bring out yer dead!"

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
The local medical university in my state did a study where they estimated the percent of people in my state that have either had COVID or have been vaccinated. It was over 70% in many counties, and that was a month ago.
I definitely believe this, and I'm guessing it's more or less the same across the country (vermont likely had the lowest prevalence of infection but has had a great vaccine drive).

I think almost everyone has already had the disease.

You are probably correct. The number of new cases started to plummet the first week in January. I had predicted months before that we would reach herd immunity at ~400,000 deaths which would mean 200,000,000 infections. That happened the last week in December. The widespread availability of the vaccines also occurred around that time and likely contributed to the drop. Which factor was more important? Impossible to say since we lack accurate data on total number of people who got infected and were likely immune.

I definitely believe this, and I'm guessing it's more or less the same across the country (vermont likely had the lowest prevalence of infection but has had a great vaccine drive).

Good, so we know where the vaccine Zombie Apocalypse is going to begin.

• Haha
Exactly. And kids will get it at a young age, and require resistance to it just like all the other variants, so that as adults symptoms will be mild.
Sure which is why (thankfully) I haven't had to worry about my kids during all of this.

But, as I tell my patients, everyone is going to get this at some point. Do you want your first time to be with or without the vaccine first?

You are probably correct. The number of new cases started to plummet the first week in January. I had predicted months before that we would reach herd immunity at ~400,000 deaths which would mean 200,000,000 infections. That happened the last week in December. The widespread availability of the vaccines also occurred around that time and likely contributed to the drop. Which factor was more important? Impossible to say since we lack accurate data on total number of people who got infected and were likely immune.
I think that's likely the result of all the Christmas family super spreader events having all been diagnosed by early January more than anything. After the holidays, we went back to how things were in summer/early Fall.

This is why cases and deaths are trending down. That being said, the vaccinated people are doing a lot of heavy lifting here. The number of people vaccinated outweighs the number of true infections at this point by a large number. If not for the vaccines this pandemic would not be trending in the right direction. We would be nowhere near herd immunity by "natural" immunity alone.

Obligatory response to the waiting for the data crowd: the data shows the benefit and risk of vaccines far outweigh the benefit and risk of "natural" immunity from infection. The data has confirmed this and been validated many times over in the last few months. Those "waiting for more data" do not understand the current data, and more of it wont help them "understand" better.

Reactions: 8 users
Vaccines work. Vaccinated groups accounting for any adverse effects are still better off than unvaccinated groups accounting for any adverse effects. Anyone who argues this will never have their minds changed.

REGARDLESS, people have the right to do whatever they want. If they don't want to get the vaccine then so be it. They take the risk like most everything we do in our lives.

If you are a business owners, you should have the right to do whatever you want with unvaccinated people.

Seems quite simple to me.

Reactions: 4 users
So dumb question.....

I believe 100% that the vaccine works and gives > 95% protection after two doses. So why would a business owner who has been vaccinated and all his employees are vaccinated care if someone not vaccinated comes into their place of business? Science and evidence says this shouldn't matter as there would be neglible risk to anyone except the anti-vaccer if they were in an at-risk group.

Members don't see this ad :)
So why would a business owner who has been vaccinated and all his employees are vaccinated care if someone not vaccinated comes into their place of business?
They're going to tell you something about statistics showing "it's still possible" to get COVID if you've been vaccinated, which technically is true. It's an overreaction in my opinion, because the risk is negligible and the risk of serious disease is even less. I'm ready to move on with life post COVID-hysteria. Some people are not. I think COVID has unearthed significant mental illness in people that were better able to hide it, pre-pandemic.

Science and evidence says this shouldn't matter as there would be neglible risk to anyone except the anti-vaccer if they were in an at-risk group.
If science is correct and Vax people have essentially zero risks of getting complicated Covid, the issue most will come up with is you still can get it/be a carrier/infect others who are not vaccinated.

If your business are all vaxed, then I think you should open up b/c the risks are low. But regardless, if you own something you can do whatever you want if it doesn't make logical sense and the marketplace will react to verify your stance.

People make things way toooooooo complicated. As an individual/family, all I can do is what I think is best and deal with the consequences like everything else in life. If I am paranoid, then I get vaxed and still never leave the house. If I am a thrill seeking antivax, then I don't then go around risking getting Covid/complications. Seems so simple to me and don't ever get people being pissed off when someone doesn't wear a mask. If you are so worried about others not wearing a masks then stay home or go only to businesses that require them.

So dumb question.....

I believe 100% that the vaccine works and gives > 95% protection after two doses. So why would a business owner who has been vaccinated and all his employees are vaccinated care if someone not vaccinated comes into their place of business? Science and evidence says this shouldn't matter as there would be neglible risk to anyone except the anti-vaccer if they were in an at-risk group.
The greater the number of unvaccinated people you allow into your store --> greater number of potentially infected and infectious people --> greater chance that some of your staff get sick. As you pointed out, the vaccine is 95%, not 100% effective.

Is this a large risk? Almost certainly not. That said, a private business owner is free to do whatever they like in this scenario.

If science is correct and Vax people have essentially zero risks of getting complicated Covid, the issue most will come up with is you still can get it/be a carrier/infect others who are not vaccinated.

If your business are all vaxed, then I think you should open up b/c the risks are low. But regardless, if you own something you can do whatever you want if it doesn't make logical sense and the marketplace will react to verify your stance.

People make things way toooooooo complicated. As an individual/family, all I can do is what I think is best and deal with the consequences like everything else in life. If I am paranoid, then I get vaxed and still never leave the house. If I am a thrill seeking antivax, then I don't then go around risking getting Covid/complications. Seems so simple to me and don't ever get people being pissed off when someone doesn't wear a mask. If you are so worried about others not wearing a masks then stay home or go only to businesses that require them.
Thank you! Glad you said it's not logical. I have no issue with private business owners doing whatever they want. I'm free to not visit their establishments. The issue is when big tech, and big businesses that you can't avoid doing business with start making illogical demands and rules.

Also I'm glad people still wear masks in their cars and outdoors. It's a great way to spot mental illness and avoid them.

Thank you! Glad you said it's not logical. I have no issue with private business owners doing whatever they want. I'm free to not visit their establishments. The issue is when big tech, and big businesses that you can't avoid doing business with start making illogical demands and rules.

Also I'm glad people still wear masks in their cars and outdoors. It's a great way to spot mental illness and avoid them.
I can't like this enough.
You win today!

"If you don't like that I drive drunk, just stay off the roads"

Reactions: 5 users
Not equivalencies by any stretch.
No? Your (generic you, not you personally) stupid choices put me at risk in both scenarios (and in both scenarios the risk is still quite small) and the equally stupid "if you're scared don't leave the house" applies to both.

Reactions: 2 users
No? Your (generic you, not you personally) stupid choices put me at risk in both scenarios (and in both scenarios the risk is still quite small) and the equally stupid "if you're scared don't leave the house" applies to both.

If you think not getting a vaccine for a largely non-fatal illness is the same as drunk driving..... I'm not sure there is any reasoning with you.

I guess the majority of Americans (me not included) who don't get their flu shots should be incarcerated by your standards.

"If you don't like that I drive drunk, just stay off the roads"
These are the kind of people I like to avoid. Seriously impossible to discuss anything because the extreme cases will be used.
I guess everyone who drives an ICE cars are just killers of the future generations.

• Okay...
Huh?
Driving drunk is more akin to knowingly going out and about while infected w/ covid in pre-vaccine times.

The vaccine is >95% effective now. However, the Delta variant is starting to circulate more strongly in the US for people not vaccinated. What's to say that an additional mutation or two renders the vaccine completely ineffective? It can happen, and that's why I still wear masks in public.

Like all of you, I'm ready for COVID to go away. It would go away a lot quicker if more people get vaccinated. >70-80% vaccination rates will hinder all circulation of the virus, which will lessen the chance of a mutation rendering the vaccine ineffective.

Is it likely the vaccine becomes ineffective? No. Is it possible? Yes. People -- everyone -- need to get vaccinated.

Reactions: 7 users
If you think not getting a vaccine for a largely non-fatal illness is the same as drunk driving..... I'm not sure there is any reasoning with you.

I guess the majority of Americans (me not included) who don't get their flu shots should be incarcerated by your standards.
Vast majority of drunk driving accidents aren't fatal either.

I think we've had a year of a pandemic that killed a shocking number of people, hospitalized even more many of whom still have lingering symptoms, overwhelmed our hospitals, and shut down large parts of the economy. So either get your damn vaccine or accept that plenty of people will still want you to wear a mask when indoors around other people. Or if we get data saying having had COVID offers equal protection to the vaccine, that'll probably work too.

Flu outside of pandemics didn't do that even pre-vaccine. If it did, I'd absolutely feel the same way about the flu vaccine - possibly more so given that flu hits kids reasonably hard while COVID does not. Although I don't believe the flu has the long pre-symptomatic period. That said, after I got the flu from office staff in 2019 despite being vaccinated I'm tempted to require masks of anyone who is not vaccinated during flu season.

People -- everyone -- need to get vaccinated.
Yes, everyone get the vaccine so COVID will go away. Where a mask still, if you choose. Control what you can control. At the same time, people would be best served by stopping the hysteria over things they can't control, like what other people are doing. Viruses are going to be here. Life goes on.

Increasingly this dispute seems to come down to one fundamental disagreement:

Those who find the well being of others a compelling reason to modestly change behavior vs those who do not find the well being of others a compelling motivation.

If my observation is accurate, then I don't see argument as effective. People usually can not be argued out of their ethical intuitions.

Those who find the well being of others a compelling reason to modestly change behavior vs those who do not find the well being of others a compelling motivation.

If my observation is accurate, then I don't see argument as effective. People usually can not be argued out of their ethical intuitions.
I don't think you've exactly nailed the issue. There are people like me who don't want to make adjustments in our lives based on THEORETICAL risks that may never materialize. If the vaccine works, my argument is that we need to get rid of the fear, nonsense, and controlling people's behavior. I shouldn't drive a car either based on the real (not theoretical) risk that I might lose control and kill a pedestrian.

It's lightning-strike probabilities that I don't worry about, and am still curious why people adjust their lives to avoid rare scenarios.

I think you're last statement is accurate, although I would argue that many, if not most, are willing to change their decisions based on the level of inconvenience vs danger.

I would say that the risk of a vaccinated individual catching Sars2-CoV from a water fountain and then spreading it to another person who then gets seriously ill or dies from covid-19 is so unlikely, as to be considered zero-risk.

So can we please reopen the water fountains? It's shaping up to be a pretty hot year, and I'm pucking thirsty.

Although, I'm also in favor of vaccine mandates and socialized healthcare. Could talk about some of my more extreme positions off-line.

I think you're last statement is accurate, although I would argue that many, if not most, are willing to change their decisions based on the level of inconvenience vs danger.

I would say that the risk of a vaccinated individual catching Sars2-CoV from a water fountain and then spreading it to another person who then gets seriously ill or dies from covid-19 is so unlikely, as to be considered zero-risk.

So can we please reopen the water fountains? It's shaping up to be a pretty hot year, and I'm pucking thirsty.

Although, I'm also in favor of vaccine mandates and socialized healthcare. Could talk about some of my more extreme positions off-line.
Are water fountains closed? I haven't noticed, but I'm now realizing that I am never looking for water fountains, since I am one of those folks who is always lugging some water around with me.

Are water fountains closed? I haven't noticed, but I'm now realizing that I am never looking for water fountains, since I am one of those folks who is always lugging some water around with me.

I'd never use them anyway. Water fountains were gross before covid...

West Florida has been super weird. It has been unseasonably cool until last week, when all the rains came and God turned the knob to "sauna".

My husband (mechanical engineering) and his brother (a lab veterinarian) started a business that serves the lab animal industry decades ago. In the course of circulating in this industry, and being a member of AALAS myself, I have come to meet a lot of people from all over the world who work in the industry.

We’ve been following the development of the pandemic since January 2020, when our facility became officially “closed doors”, even before the local hospital set up any protocol. Since we have to respond to the requirements of the labs developing COVID pharmaceuticals and vaccines, we’ve had to take a “clean” approach, which means people living on site and no social circulation in the community in person...for more than one year now. In addition, wearing respirators and etc. in public because we can’t risk getting any of the lab animals sick.

We’ve had to deal with air scavenging issues when repair men have to come in from outside, sanitation and quarantine. It is fortunate that Zoom and the internet in general help us carry on for the most part.

I know the folks at the facilities where the Moderna vaccine was developed and who did the phase 2 safety trials. No one is talking about what they’ve seen, which is odd, but not really indicative of anything either way.

One cousin of mine, a biomedical engineer, works for Pfizer and she refused to get any COVID vaccine...and she’s a
vaccine advocate.

My sister got the Pfizer vaccine after her hospital adopted a soft vaccine mandate and had months of issues, she thinks due to her sarcoidosis. Basically she had to relearn how to read. I had to push her to get a neuro assessment and report to VAERS as she did not even recognize the problem until I asked her why she kept calling me back in response to texts one day.

Another cousin and his wife who are hospitalists got the Pfizer vaccine and have had no complaints.

All our local docs and nurses have had the Pfizer vaccine with no complaints other than transient physical stuff.

I don’t know anyone in the pharma or vaccine industry at the research level who has been vaccinated with the AZ, Pfizer, Janssen or Moderna vaccines...just some who’ve received the sinovac.

My husband (mechanical engineering) and his brother (a lab veterinarian) started a business that serves the lab animal industry decades ago. In the course of circulating in this industry, and being a member of AALAS myself, I have come to meet a lot of people from all over the world who work in the industry.

We’ve been following the development of the pandemic since January 2020, when our facility became officially “closed doors”, even before the local hospital set up any protocol. Since we have to respond to the requirements of the labs developing COVID pharmaceuticals and vaccines, we’ve had to take a “clean” approach, which means people living on site and no social circulation in the community in person...for more than one year now. In addition, wearing respirators and etc. in public because we can’t risk getting any of the lab animals sick.

We’ve had to deal with air scavenging issues when repair men have to come in from outside, sanitation and quarantine. It is fortunate that Zoom and the internet in general help us carry on for the most part.

I know the folks at the facilities where the Moderna vaccine was developed and who did the phase 2 safety trials. No one is talking about what they’ve seen, which is odd, but not really indicative of anything either way.

One cousin of mine, a biomedical engineer, works for Pfizer and she refused to get any COVID vaccine...and she’s a
vaccine advocate.

My sister got the Pfizer vaccine after her hospital adopted a soft vaccine mandate and had months of issues, she thinks due to her sarcoidosis. Basically she had to relearn how to read. I had to push her to get a neuro assessment and report to VAERS as she did not even recognize the problem until I asked her why she kept calling me back in response to texts one day.

Another cousin and his wife who are hospitalists got the Pfizer vaccine and have had no complaints.

All our local docs and nurses have had the Pfizer vaccine with no complaints other than transient physical stuff.

I don’t know anyone in the pharma or vaccine industry at the research level who has been vaccinated with the AZ, Pfizer, Janssen or Moderna vaccines...just some who’ve received the sinovac.
Anecdotes are not evidence. None of this in any way suggest widespread long-term negative effects from the vaccines.

So dumb question.....

There were a few restaurants that closed down temporarily in my area due to super-spreaders. I'd worry about the loss of business from a person spreading an infectious disease and driving away my clientele; I would probably take whatever unreasonable steps to mitigate that.

With that said, most places that I have been to lately do not seem to have an enforced mask policy any longer. I've also had multiple servers not wearing masks.

There were a few restaurants that closed down temporarily in my area due to super-spreaders. I'd worry about the loss of business from a person spreading an infectious disease and driving away my clientele; I would probably take whatever unreasonable steps to mitigate that.

With that said, most places that I have been to lately do not seem to have an enforced mask policy any longer. I've also had multiple servers not wearing masks.

Well since contact Tracing isn't a thing right now, it'd be low on list of worries. Seriously that's the best you can come up with?

Distancing parties and frequent cleaning to limit droplet transmission would suffice for the most part. Air scavenging would deal with the remaining indoors occupation danger due to SARS-CoV-2 aerosols, whether patrons are vaccinated or not. Were I a restaurateur, air scavenging is what I would have invested in during 2020 to mitigate the future risk to my clientele and business. This would remove the politics of mask vs. mask less or vaxx vs. vaxxless from the consideration, and allow the patrons to enjoy their meals and relaxation without controversy. And there would then be no public health reason to close down with that in place.

Yeah, I googled the term and saw pictures of cylinders and diagrams of physics and I got scared and felt nauseous and immediately closed my browser.
I LOL-ed at this. Air or gas scavenging practice is quite common in anesthesiology and veterinary applications, too...whether you (meaning a general person, not you in particular) get the underlying mechanics or not is unimportant. Fact is, it works. :)

Is this one of those things where any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic?

So more like Asgard than Sith...
When I was on ortho when I was a resident, one of the surgeons was describing to a pt what was going to happen with their surgery for total knee replacement. As he went on, he then said "And then we'll sprinkle on some magic dust", with the requisite odd look from the pt. He then said that "to describe the growth factors is a 65 minute lecture, so we just call it magic dust". The pt was satisfied.

• Haha
Positive and negative pressure...like in viral labs, or hospital rooms for containment of contagion... or magic, if you will.

Wow! That's some serious precedence they have set. I hope they do the same for the flu vaccine, otherwise it's an inconsistent policy and could be legally challenged.
doesn't nearly every hospital require the flu vaccine? everyone around here does.

Distancing parties and frequent cleaning to limit droplet transmission would suffice for the most part. Air scavenging would deal with the remaining indoors occupation danger due to SARS-CoV-2 aerosols, whether patrons are vaccinated or not. Were I a restaurateur, air scavenging is what I would have invested in during 2020 to mitigate the future risk to my clientele and business. This would remove the politics of mask vs. mask less or vaxx vs. vaxxless from the consideration, and allow the patrons to enjoy their meals and relaxation without controversy. And there would then be no public health reason to close down with that in place.
That sounds like an expensive technology. How much would that run your average business owner?