Value of CME courses

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Nellyakgo

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Some universities offer continuing medical education seminars (for a fee) over 2-3 days, consisting of presentations from faculty and perhaps a few round table dicussions at the end of each session.
I'm considering attending one.
What do you think of the value of these events with respect to (a)their content/educational value (b)how they compare vs. conferences (c)how they might contribute to one's resume for residency purposes?

Edit: I'm an FMG and not too familiar with the US system and CME. Hence the question.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Anyone with any opinion to offer on this one?
Thanks!

If there's a reason there's no replies please let me know.

OK, so in the hope that this will facilitate some replies, here are my (elementary) thoughts on the matter:

Intrinsic value, the positives:
-Easier access because you don't have to travel to a conference
-The "updates" are all proven/established facts, but those that are the latest. Also they are the most relevant/common topics
-Cheaper than a conference
-Don't need to trawl through a whole conference agenda to pick the most relevant. With this, you attend the whole thing, with the presumption that the entire seminar has been designed with key topics
-You get a cherry picked update

Intrinsic value, the negatives:
-It's commercial
-It's not necessarily presented by the leaders in research in those topics
-Since it's "established" topics, you can read them yourself, and there is no added value from the presentations

Value towards a future residency, the positives:
-Shows you kept up to date, had an interest and tried to educate yourself
-Better to do it, than to not do it

Value toward a future residency, the negatives:
-Has no value whatsoever (?)

Now please can all those experienced derm forum users help me with their thoughts/opinions - pleazzzze?

Members don't see this ad :)
OK, so in the hope that this will facilitate some replies, here are my (elementary) thoughts on the matter:

Intrinsic value, the positives:
-Easier access because you don't have to travel to a conference
-The "updates" are all proven/established facts, but those that are the latest. Also they are the most relevant/common topics
-Cheaper than a conference
-Don't need to trawl through a whole conference agenda to pick the most relevant. With this, you attend the whole thing, with the presumption that the entire seminar has been designed with key topics
-You get a cherry picked update

Intrinsic value, the negatives:
-It's commercial
-It's not necessarily presented by the leaders in research in those topics
-Since it's "established" topics, you can read them yourself, and there is no added value from the presentations

Value towards a future residency, the positives:
-Shows you kept up to date, had an interest and tried to educate yourself
-Better to do it, than to not do it

Value toward a future residency, the negatives:
-Has no value whatsoever (?)

Now please can all those experienced derm forum users help me with their thoughts/opinions - pleazzzze?

Really don't think this would be that beneficial. Way ahead of this would be securing outstanding board scores, numerous publications, and (especially for a FMG) connections with faculty perhaps through away rotations to increase your chances for an interview. Would focus your effort on this rather than attending random CME seminars. The only potential benefit would be forming some connections if the program director of an institution happens to be taking part in the cme program, but not sure how often that actually happens.

Prob would instead present a poster at AAD conference and try to meet faculty there from institutions that you might be interested in.

Some universities offer continuing medical education seminars (for a fee) over 2-3 days, consisting of presentations from faculty and perhaps a few round table dicussions at the end of each session.
I'm considering attending one.
What do you think of the value of these events with respect to (a)their content/educational value (b)how they compare vs. conferences (c)how they might contribute to one's resume for residency purposes?

Edit: I'm an FMG and not too familiar with the US system and CME. Hence the question.

You can certainly attend but I doubt it would make a significant difference.

There are people who have attended our CME seminars and ended up matching in dermatology but it's because our department sponsors a weekly CME event and because they went on to do considerable research.

The CME event might get your name in the door but as an FMG, there is still work to be done.

So to recap:

a) these events can have educational value but it's typically aimed towards those currently engaged in a residency program

b) I can only speak for ours but it represents only a sliver of what is available at a larger conference (the AAD for instance). The faculty running our CME may vehemently disagree with regards to content but there's no denying larger networking opportunities would exist at a larger conference.

c) It would not contribute in any way to your resume. Good to get your name/face known at the department but I would count on filling your resume with something substantially meatier.

Resume = "A brief account of one's professional or work experience and qualifications, often submitted with an employment application." (stolen from the free dictionary, by Farlex)

With that said, attending a conference is neither a form or professional/work experience (actively working) or a qualification.

It's a crap shoot when it comes to meeting people, IMO. I don't think departmental directors and chairs attend such events in order to scout out potentials. I could be wrong. But M3's doing away rotations and ERAS is already in place for such scrutiny.

OK, thanks all.

Volcoff, the things you listed as being way ahead of this : Yes, I'm aware. But I don't have the possibility of doing any of those things presently.

I guess, bottom line is that it won't hurt and it can only help with "knowledge". The most I would lose would be some money and a couple of days.

Anyways, how does one meet the bigwigs at these events in a meaningful way, if one doesn't have anything in particular to offer/contribute (other than slaveship)? Just walk up to them and introduce oneself ??? :)