Value of submitting AADSAS app before DAT?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mgc

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm going to be finishing my spring semester in May and will begin studying for the DAT right after. I am not a sci major and therefore want to allocate at least 10 weeks for studying. Also, I am taking a DAT course that runs until August 15th - so I have to take the exam after that date.

So my question: is there a point of submitting "early" (June-July range) without a DAT score?

I really wouldn't want to take the DAT mid/late August and then apply, only to have everything processed and ready for review by October or later. Therefore, wouldn't it be smart to apply in June/July and have everything processed and then in August just send in DAT scores? I know most schools won't review until they receive the DAT, but at least my app will be complete and ready for review at an earlier date.

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Yes it would be wise to submit your application ASAP without your scores. I took my DAT right at the end of August last year and submitted my application in June. Just make sure to take lots of practice tests and only take the real thing when you're ready (or mostly ready).

Also, the point is to have everything else ready so that you don't have to waste weeks of waiting with a later batch. The admissions committee moves on a rolling basis, so the sooner the better.

Members don't see this ad :)
Yes it would be wise to submit your application ASAP without your scores. I took my DAT right at the end of August last year and submitted my application in June. Just make sure to take lots of practice tests and only take the real thing when you're ready (or mostly ready).

Also, the point is to have everything else ready so that you don't have to waste weeks of waiting with a later batch. The admissions committee moves on a rolling basis, so the sooner the better.
do you mind me asking if you heard back from any schools even though your DAT scores were submitted in Augest? I'm going to be in the same boat

I submitted my app early aug and took the DAT 9/17. I faxed the unofficial score report/emailed to any schools that would accept them, and I wound up getting an interview invite for my state school a week after they got them (before my official scores were sent lol)

Reactions: 1 user
I submitted my app early aug and took the DAT 9/17. I faxed the unofficial score report/emailed to any schools that would accept them, and I wound up getting an interview invite for my state school a week after they got them (before my official scores were sent lol)
did you just call and ask if they accept the unofficial scores?

Biggest thing is that it takes 4 to 8 weeks for AADSAS to calculate your GPA and your application doesn't get sent out to schools until that's done. Btw, it takes 2 to 4 weeks for your official DAT score to be sent, so keep that in mind.

Scan it and just email it to all the schools you've applied to when you get it. They will either use it or won't, but at least they unofficially know your score and perhaps your application will be reviewed as soon as they receive the official one.

Last edited:
Some specifically said on their website WE WILL NOT ACCEPT UNOFFICIAL SCORES. Those that didn't, I sent mine to. I never called and asked but some emailed me back saying thank you and said they had received them.