VCOM Post-Bacc Program 2016

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

futuredoc5225

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey! Is anyone else applying to VCOM's post bacc?
If so, for the professional letter of recommendation, do you think it would hurt my chances if it isn't from an MD or DO but from the professor I did an undergraduate research fellowship with?

Members don't see this ad.

Hey! Is anyone else applying to VCOM's post bacc?
If so, for the professional letter of recommendation, do you think it would hurt my chances if it isn't from an MD or DO but from the professor I did an undergraduate research fellowship with?
Hello. I am also applying to VCOM's post bacc program! Seems like a great program to increase credentials for medical school and gain more clinical experience. As far as the letter of recommendation question, it does mention on the website that they prefer an MD or DO letter. I think the only way to know if it would hurt your chances is to give the admissions department a call. Good luck!

• Hi! That's great, good luck! I'm very excited about this program and really want to attend! I talked to a few students who are attending now, and they said that it shouldn't hurt my chances! But I think I will call and ask just to make sure! I want to do everything possible to increase my chances!

Members don't see this ad :)
I submitted my application on Tuesday! But it says on the website that they won't start reviewing the applications until January!

Reactions: 1 user
I submitted my application on Tuesday! But it says on the website that they won't start reviewing the applications until January!

True. Was more wondering along the lines of them communicating that they received everything for your application. In your case, that's too soon to know. Good luck!

Hey everyone! Applying to the program too! Planning on submitting my application this week

Hey guys, I'm applying to this program as well. I plan on submitting my app in the next couple weeks. I'm taking the Jan mcat. Do you think this will set me back since the scores won't be released till late February?
Also if any current students in the program happen to be browsing through this forum, your input on how classes are and any useful tips will be very helpful to us. Thanks and good luck guys!

Hey guys, I'm applying to this program as well. I plan on submitting my app in the next couple weeks. I'm taking the Jan mcat. Do you think this will set me back since the scores won't be released till late February?
Also if any current students in the program happen to be browsing through this forum, your input on how classes are and any useful tips will be very helpful to us. Thanks and good luck guys!
There is an older thread with all of that information on it. Don't immediately have that link next to me.. You do not need an MCAT to apply to their Graduate Certificate program. It's recommended to take it before the program starts, but no required to have a complete application.

Did anyone else apply to the DO program as well as this one? If so did you have to resend your LORs and official transcripts?

Members don't see this ad :)
Did anyone else apply to the DO program as well as this one? If so did you have to resend your LORs and official transcripts?
I applied to their DO program too. They told me that they are able to use the same LORs and transcripts as long as you applied for this cycle. However, they only access those documents once you have received an official rejection from their DO program. Until this happens, your file is in a pile waiting to be "complete."

I applied to their DO program too. They told me that they are able to use the same LORs and transcripts as long as you applied for this cycle. However, they only access those documents once you have received an official rejection from their DO program. Until this happens, your file is in a pile waiting to be "complete."
Makes sense, thank you. I have been complete and under review since 10/23 so I am getting pretty anxious. Have they reviewed your file for the DO program yet?

Makes sense, thank you. I have been complete and under review since 10/23 so I am getting pretty anxious. Have they reviewed your file for the DO program yet?
I was complete around the same time however I called the admissions office directly and they pretty much told me that I'm not getting in with my stats. By January I should probably get some sort of official rejection letter they said.

I was complete around the same time however I called the admissions office directly and they pretty much told me that I'm not getting in with my stats. By January I should probably get some sort of official rejection letter they said.
Bummer :( When I called they gave me the generic "You are still under review" answer. My stats are borderline so I am expecting the same as you.

Bummer :( When I called they gave me the generic "You are still under review" answer. My stats are borderline so I am expecting the same as you.
Hopefully we both get into this program!

What's everyone's stats that's applying to the post bac program if you don't mind me asking?

There is an older thread with all of that information on it. Don't immediately have that link next to me.. You do not need an MCAT to apply to their Graduate Certificate program. It's recommended to take it before the program starts, but no required to have a complete application.
Thank you!! I'll browse through last years thread

My stats are overall GPA of 3.2 and a science GPA of a 3.o with an MCAT score of 18. I plan to retake the mcat in July of 2016.

My stats are overall GPA of 3.2 and a science GPA of a 3.o with an MCAT score of 18. I plan to retake the mcat in July of 2016.
Pretty much the same stats as me haha planing on retaking the MCAT too in July if I get accepted into this program

when did you guys submit your apps? I submitted mine awhile ago but received an email about submitting it 8 days ago. Hopefully they don't take too long with the admissions process

when did you guys submit your apps? I submitted mine awhile ago but received an email about submitting it 8 days ago. Hopefully they don't take too long with the admissions process
I submitted mine around December. They probably just started reviewing the applications though. Spoke with someone and they said they would not start looking until January.

I submitted mine at the beginning of December. I emailed the admissions coordinator a couple of weeks ago to make sure they had everything. It turns out they never received my LORs, so I had to get them resubmitted. About a week or so ago, she emailed me back and said they had received everything and my application was in queue to be processed and being prepared for review. Once it was processed and prepared, it will go to the admissions committee. She said that they are just starting to process their queue and that applications are processed in the order they are received and completed, that they don't have a definite timeline. She also said to check your junk/spam folders, that sometimes their emails get filtered there!

I submitted mine two weeks ago and got the email that they received my application. I called them a few times to see if they have received my LOR and Transcripts but it goes straight to voicemail. Should I just send them a email???

I submitted mine two weeks ago and got the email that they received my application. I called them a few times to see if they have received my LOR and Transcripts but it goes straight to voicemail. Should I just send them a email???
Email would be best but it might take a few days for them to get back to you at most. Whenever I called, I typically did it around noon or 3-4PM EST and someone answers almost every time.

It always went to voicemail for me too. I finally emailed them, and they got back to me within a couple of days!

Has anyone heard anything back yet?

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

yeah keep us updated I haven't heard anything as of yet. Hopefully the process wont take too long, does anyone know when they generally get back to you?

yeah keep us updated I haven't heard anything as of yet. Hopefully the process wont take too long, does anyone know when they generally get back to you?

I looked through last year's thread for VCOM. It seemed that for the people who applied early (as in January-March) they heard back in about a month, and for the people who applied after that, it took about 2 months to hear back! So hopefully since we have applied early, we will all be hearing something soon!

Reactions: 2 users
Did anyone else apply without taking the MCAT or GRE?

Does anyone know what time classes run till? I know LECOM is 2-6pm and I was hoping this one would be early classes as I am an early person. Ahh this process is so exciting yet nerve-wracking

I applied with no MCAT or GRE or SAT.

Classes are from 8-12pm, most days. I think I read that in a forum a year or so back.

Reactions: 2 users
Just called and found out my application was complete as of yesterday. Should hear about a decision by March the latest!

Reactions: 1 users
Just called and found out my application was complete as of yesterday. Should hear about a decision by March the latest!

Did they tell you that you would hear back by March?

Did they tell you that you would hear back by March?

They said "within the next few weeks." I then followed up by saying "So, if I don't hear anything by March I should call you?" and they said yes.

Does anyone know if my chances will be diminshed if I have a letter from a work supervisor and not from a doctor? Any help from current students in the program will be helpful! Thanks!

Does anyone know if my chances will be diminshed if I have a letter from a work supervisor and not from a doctor? Any help from current students in the program will be helpful! Thanks!

I hope not! Mine was from my research supervisor not a doctor.

I hope not! Mine was from my research supervisor not a doctor.

I'm so nervous because of that! I emailed Ms. Hewitt and this is what she sent:

"Thank you for your email and interest in our program. Regarding the letter writers, yes, you may have your current supervisor write a letter for you and this will meet the professional letter requirement. I do know that the admissions committee does like to see that you have some shadowing experience with a physician and so a letter can also help to support that. If you have a physician you’ve worked with who is able to write a letter, I suggest including your supervisor’s information as the official professional letter writer, but also request that the physician send in a letter on your behalf.
The letters may certainly come in after the application, we actually don’t match up letters to files until we’ve received and processed applications, so that’s not a problem. Just note, all materials must be received before your application will move into the queue for processing in preparation for review by the admissions committee."

So I don't know what to do!

I'm so nervous because of that! I emailed Ms. Hewitt and this is what she sent:

"Thank you for your email and interest in our program. Regarding the letter writers, yes, you may have your current supervisor write a letter for you and this will meet the professional letter requirement. I do know that the admissions committee does like to see that you have some shadowing experience with a physician and so a letter can also help to support that. If you have a physician you’ve worked with who is able to write a letter, I suggest including your supervisor’s information as the official professional letter writer, but also request that the physician send in a letter on your behalf.
The letters may certainly come in after the application, we actually don’t match up letters to files until we’ve received and processed applications, so that’s not a problem. Just note, all materials must be received before your application will move into the queue for processing in preparation for review by the admissions committee."

So I don't know what to do!

Oh wow! Well I do have shadowing experience but it's with a bunch of different doctors. I put that within my application, so hopefully it will still be okay, especially since my letter is from my undergraduate research supervisor!

Oh wow! Well I do have shadowing experience but it's with a bunch of different doctors. I put that within my application, so hopefully it will still be okay, especially since my letter is from my undergraduate research supervisor!

I do too! Hopefully we both get in!