VCU and Some Inquiries

In the Moonlight

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello All,

I am new to the forum. I am currently a junior in high school and would like to start planning my long road ahead to becoming a doctor (hopefully)!

I am interested in completing either a pre-med program where I receive a degree in pre-med, OR completing a Biology major alongside my pre-reqs. I am hoping to apply to VCU. With that in mind, I did some research on VCU and can't find a "pre-med degree," -- only the pre-reqs you would need to take to get into their medical school.

So, does a pre-med degree really matter? Will I be completely lost in med school if I don't obtain a pre-med degree?

For anyone who has attended VCU, did you like it? I am a VA resident, so I'm planning on taking a trip to tour the campus in the near future.

Thank you!

Members don't see this ad.

I'll just comment on the "pre-med" degree. It doesn't exist. A pre-med is just any degree + pre-med prerequisite courses. Pick whatever major will allow you to maintain a competitive GPA (3.7+).

I'll just comment on the "pre-med" degree. It doesn't exist. A pre-med is just any degree + pre-med prerequisite courses. Pick whatever major will allow you to maintain a competitive GPA (3.7+).

I wasn't aware of this -- thank you!