VCU/MCV Class of 2014

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Hello all!

I got accepted in the March 16th round (at 6:06pm) too - next year is between VCU & Miami right now for me, and I'm leaning towards VCU.

Few questions:

1. Does the VCU school of medicine website have any type of pages up for those of us who have been accepted into the class of 2014? I've looked but haven't seen anything.

2. For clarity, the second look is only for minority/disadvantaged applicants, correct?

3. Do we receive a snail mail hard copy of acceptance?

I spoke with the admissions office about 2 weeks ago and they said they would have an orientation website up for us by the end of this month.

Members don't see this ad.

we have a facebook group for the incoming class.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey everyone,

So I'm planning a trip to Richmond for a few days to get a better feel for the school/city. Any suggestions on what to check out, where to eat, etc? A big draw for me is the beauty of Virginia... I'd like to somehow experience some of that, so I'll probably end up renting a car.... but where to go? :) I would love to hear anyone's suggestions! I'll also be checking out places to live, and thanks to previous posts I have some info on that. Thanks in advance!

Hey guys, I'm a 4th year at MCV now and I am doing an independent project that basically means I have a few months off. I am a native from Richmond so I know the area well. If you want (and it works with my schedule) I would be happy to take some of you around Richmond one day. Just let me know.

- instatewaiter

there are a lot of great places to eat in richmond. what do you like to eat?

there are a lot of great places to eat in richmond. what do you like to eat?
mexican food is my favorite... but I'm open to almost anything. Good pizza, thai, sushi, a good burger.....

Hey everyone,

So I'm planning a trip to Richmond for a few days to get a better feel for the school/city. Any suggestions on what to check out, where to eat, etc? A big draw for me is the beauty of Virginia... I'd like to somehow experience some of that, so I'll probably end up renting a car.... but where to go? :) I would love to hear anyone's suggestions! I'll also be checking out places to live, and thanks to previous posts I have some info on that. Thanks in advance!

Mmmmm breakfast at 821 Cafe or Millie's..... just sayin'

Hey everyone,

You should also check out Maymont park or Belle Isle if it's sunny. Lastly, if you want a really good view of the whole city, go to the observation deck at City Hall (900 E Broad St.), or Jefferson Park (2100 Jefferson Avenue). For the City Hall one, just take the elevator all the way to the top.

You should also check out Maymont park or Belle Isle if it's sunny. Lastly, if you want a really good view of the whole city, go to the observation deck at City Hall (900 E Broad St.), or Jefferson Park (2100 Jefferson Avenue). For the City Hall one, just take the elevator all the way to the top.

Thanks! I will definitely do these things.. I can't wait :)

so i was accepted in the 2/1 batch, still haven't gotten a letter stating my acceptance. do they usually mail out physical copies?

Members don't see this ad :)
so i was accepted in the 2/1 batch, still haven't gotten a letter stating my acceptance. do they usually mail out physical copies?
I am under the impression that only URM students get the hard copy because it also includes information about second look day. And, congrats!

mexican food is my favorite... but I'm open to almost anything. Good pizza, thai, sushi, a good burger.....

I haven't found good mexican food in richmond that compares to what I had in southern Cali. There is good pizza at Bottoms Up in shockoe bottom. Capital Ale House has dollar burgers (normally $5+) on Monday nights. Plenty of good thai restaurants (Ginger, Thai Diner, Elephant Thai). Good sushi is lacking in Richmond.

I haven't found good mexican food in richmond that compares to what I had in southern Cali. There is good pizza at Bottoms Up in shockoe bottom. Capital Ale House has dollar burgers (normally $5+) on Monday nights. Plenty of good thai restaurants (Ginger, Thai Diner, Elephant Thai). Good sushi is lacking in Richmond.

Dude, have you been to Akita or Carytown Sushi? They're owned by the same people. I've lived on both coasts and it's the best salmon I've ever had.

So true, I think I've been to 15+ Mexican food restaurants and none of it compares to California. I've had to settle on Mexico Restaurant when I really want Mexican food. But Bottoms Up Pizza is wonderful!

City Dogs is my favorite Richmond restaurant. They make these wonderful gourmet hot dogs and really good milk shakes.

Dude, have you been to Akita or Carytown Sushi? They're owned by the same people. I've lived on both coasts and it's the best salmon I've ever had.

I haven't been to either but I will put them on my list of places to try. Thanks for the heads up.

So I am coming to Richmond for the second look weekend, is there anything a med student would recommend I do while I am there?

Just need some things to do while I am in Richmond and I don't really know where to start.

So I am coming to Richmond for the second look weekend, is there anything a med student would recommend I do while I am there?

Just need some things to do while I am in Richmond and I don't really know where to start.

My disclaimer is that I am not a med student, yet. :p I am a former grad student and have been here in Richmond for over 1.5 years.

Where are you staying? I would recommend bringing running shoes so you can run along the canal, Brown Island, and Belle Isle. If you have a car, I would walk around Carytown during the day or early evening. The bar/dancing scene is in Shockoe Slip. The more laid back bars are in the Fan. There are places to eat that you should definitely try. Millie's, Lulu's, Cafe Gutenberg for brunch. Kuba Kuba (cuban food), Edo's Squid (italian), Mamma Zu, Black Sheep for lunch or dinner. If you are looking for fancy, Acacia, Bistro 27, Julip's, Jefferson Hotel restaurants.

My disclaimer is that I am not a med student, yet. :p I am a former grad student and have been here in Richmond for over 1.5 years.

Where are you staying? I would recommend bringing running shoes so you can run along the canal, Brown Island, and Belle Isle. If you have a car, I would walk around Carytown during the day or early evening. The bar/dancing scene is in Shockoe Slip. The more laid back bars are in the Fan. There are places to eat that you should definitely try. Millie's, Lulu's, Cafe Gutenberg for brunch. Kuba Kuba (cuban food), Edo's Squid (italian), Mamma Zu, Black Sheep for lunch or dinner. If you are looking for fancy, Acacia, Bistro 27, Julip's, Jefferson Hotel restaurants.

Thanks. :thumbup:

I'm not sure where I'll be staying, but I guess it will probably be in the downtown area - any recommendations on any hotels outside downtown that would safe and relatively cheap?

I will have a car, so that should help in exploring.

Any recommendations on where to get good barbecue?

A lot of people like Buzz and Ned's.

Here's a bunch of the match stuff from this years match

Competitive Programs
CT surg integrated (1) – one of 10 spots nationally
Gas (9)
Ophthal (4)
ENT (6)
Neuro Surg (2)
Child Neuro-1 (Johns Hopkins)
Derm 1
URO (3) including MGH (Harvard)
Rad-Onc (1)
Ortho (7)
Rads (11)

Less Competitive
IM (38 total) including Johns Hopkins, Duke x2, Yale, Hopkins-Bayview, Wake forrest, UPMC, Maryland x3, Emory, VCUx 9
Peds (19 total) including Johns Hopkins x2, Duke, Brown x2, UTSW, Georgetown, EVMS x 2
Med Peds (5)
Med/EM (2)
OB-Gyn (12)
Neuro (5) Mayo (fl), NYU, Georgetwon, Brown, VCU
FM ( 17)
EM (13)
Psych (2) Johns Hopkins, Beth Israel (NY)
Gen Surg (8)
PM & R (5)
Pathology (2) Duke, Mayo

You would list everything that love to do in Richmond ;) :laugh:

Thanks.

I'm not sure where I'll be staying, but I guess it will probably be in the downtown area - any recommendations on any hotels outside downtown that would safe and relatively cheap?

I will have a car, so that should help in exploring.

Most of the hotels in Richmond are pretty reasonably priced. My friends family is visiting over easter weekend and they are staying at the Commonwealth Park hotel in a king suite for 105/night. It is in a safe area right across the capital building and close to mcv. There's also a marriot that is close with similar prices.

http://www.commonwealthparksuites.com/

I'm really excited for your visit Richmond. I'm not sure how long you'll be staying but let us know what your interests are (outdoors, bar hopping, culture spots, etc) and we can help. There's just so much i love to do here :D

You would list everything that love to do in Richmond ;) :laugh:

You and half the people in Richmond love to do these things because Richmond is soooooo biggggg and excitingggg. :rolleyes:

Hey guys,

Does anyone have a copy of last year's academic calendar? I want to attend a conference but want to make sure I don't have any tests that date.

Thank you!

Hey guys,

Does anyone have a copy of last year's academic calendar? I want to attend a conference but want to make sure I don't have any tests that date.

Thank you!

The new calendar and school stuff are posted on the school website. Someone posted the link in the facebook group.

so i just called the financial aid office to get a good picture of when financial aid award packages would be given out and was told 'late may/early june.' i know this is contingent on the FAFSA & Need Access, which i've almost completed (next week at the latest).

still - i'm confused...for people who have multiple acceptances, wouldn't the financial aid be a huge factor in the decision that is supposed to be made no later than may 15th?? can you hold multiple spots in a class after the 15th, with the only consequence being that you lose the deposit $? i've read it on AAMC that you have to make a decision on schools that have offered you acceptance by may 15th, but you can hang on to any waitlists with the hope of getting in over the summer.

i guess i would just like to know the financial aspects to each school before this deadline comes up...:(

so i just called the financial aid office to get a good picture of when financial aid award packages would be given out and was told 'late may/early june.' i know this is contingent on the FAFSA & Need Access, which i've almost completed (next week at the latest).

still - i'm confused...for people who have multiple acceptances, wouldn't the financial aid be a huge factor in the decision that is supposed to be made no later than may 15th?? can you hold multiple spots in a class after the 15th, with the only consequence being that you lose the deposit $? i've read it on AAMC that you have to make a decision on schools that have offered you acceptance by may 15th, but you can hang on to any waitlists with the hope of getting in over the summer.

i guess i would just like to know the financial aspects to each school before this deadline comes up...:(

sorry - i just reread the amcas website's recommendations. i take it that they are just that, 'recommendations'...not rules. still, i guess my point still stands - if you are choosing b/t 2 or more schools, i feel like the schools should provide financial information before you pass a date where you will lose money.

Fiiiiiiinally i found this thread.. :soexcited:

that email was exciting, but white coat ceremony on friday the 13th :eek:

i have become very superstitious about that specific day after my first mcat experience :annoyed:

did you recently get in or did it take you awhile to find this thread? congrats either way.

did you recently get in or did it take you awhile to find this thread? congrats either way.

thanks, i got in feb 1st but my initial search didn't get me anywhere until yesterday :p

we also have a facebook group.

Has anybody received a financial aid packet yet?

I would kind of like that info pretty soon. It would be nice to know where I'll be spending the next four years.

is there a place on needaccess to check the status or are they supposed to email/mail us that info?

Metallica - I have asked a few other students, and none of us have received anything yet.

OneMCAT - I am not 100% sure, but I am almost certain that we will be notified via email

I hope this helps.

Just a heads up, the NeedAccess form is due today for admitted students... (or so someone in the fin aid office told me)

Hi SDN Reader,

I am currently M1 at VCU from S.California, going for M2 August 2010.

I want to live near VCU. Rent is expensive. I am looking to share two BDRM apt. in safe location

If anybody from any year intertested, please E Mail me.

Thanks

Congrats to everyone who has decided to join us here at MCV!

I am currently an M1 so I hope to offer you a fresh perspective on the school. Sure I have my complaints about professors but in talking to my friends at other medical schools my complaints are very similar to theirs. There are always going to be the good, the bad, and the ugly when it comes to classes. There's no way around it. Some professors obviously only teach because it is required of them if they wish to do research at the school but this is the case at every school and was definitely the case with my undergrad professors as well.

I absolutely love MCV. I'm from California and although I miss the beautiful weather at times I do not regret choosing MCV over the Cali school I got in to. My class is amazing. Yes it is big (204) but that just means I have ample opportunity to meet people I truly get along with. Trust me, between FCM, project heart, and the new societies you will have plenty of opportunities to work in smaller groups with people. The faculty has been nothing but friendly to me and incredibly supportive. I personally have not had much to talk to them about, thankfully, but I do know a few people who have had family emergencies and illnesses that have caused complications and the staff and faculty worked with them.

I do have some bad news though, Costanzo is retiring at the end of this year. Thus, our claim to fame will no longer be around. However, we have been reassured that her board review classes will carry on as they are (she is in the process of training someone to take the task on). Really, this shouldn't affect you all too much. If anything it is my class that will suffer seeing as how we will be the transition year. So I would not be too worried about this, although it is definitely a disappointment. Costanzo really is an incredibly professor.

Good luck to you all!

Has anyone heard anything about financial aid packages? If anyone has gotten anything, please let me know.

Hey. Does anyone know what type/brand of stethoscope we will need? Some schools require a certain quality or above and I haven't found anything that says that at MCV. I don't know if I should spring for a Cardiology level one, or just stick with the basic. Thanks!

MCV doesn't require anything specific, and I wouldn't bother with buying one yet. Most people borrow one from the school first year until they have a better idea of what they want.

What is taking so long for the fin aide offers? I wonder if the oos students even get anything other than loans :annoyed:

Hey. Does anyone know what type/brand of stethoscope we will need? Some schools require a certain quality or above and I haven't found anything that says that at MCV. I don't know if I should spring for a Cardiology level one, or just stick with the basic. Thanks!

First, do not get an electronic scope (ie littmann 3000/4000 or thinklabs ds32). They suck.

Second, get either the Littmann cardiology III or the classic II SE. Get a scope with 2 heads (ie the bell and the diaphragm) because it is easier to learn on than the single head, tunable diaphragms.

I'd recommend the cardiology III because it is a much better scope but it is also twice the price. If someone doesn't buy you a scope, Allheart.com usually has the best deals (for pretty much anything medical it is a good site). Stay away from the bookstore because it is much more expensive for large purchase items like scopes, diagnostic sets etc.

Allheart has the cardiology III for 138ish and the classic 2se for 68ish

I am looking for a female roommate to join a med student and a nurse in sharing a house. The house is located about 5 minutes drive from MCV/VCU and it is very close to the onramps for 64 and 95. The bedroom is spacious and can be furnished if you would like. You will have access to your own bathroom. All the appliances are new and there is a washer and dryer in the house. Rent will be $625 flat (electricity, water, trash, cable, internet, telephone included).We are respectful, tidy, and easy to get along with people. If you are interested please email me and I will get right back with you.

Mellisa
[email protected]

whom do i contact about getting all the paperwork in order? i am abroad and hope to figure out as much as i can overseas. THANKS!

whom do i contact about getting all the paperwork in order? i am abroad and hope to figure out as much as i can overseas. THANKS!

Go to this website. website It has all the information you need. You just need to do your FAFSA, which is pretty standard, and what's called a needaccess application. A good portion of your needaccess should overlap with your FAFSA. This is all done online.

If you need to contact the financial aid office, which your probably don't need to do since the forms are online, call them at 804-828-4006 in the US. The country code is 1+....