VCU Post Bac Question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

davina1979

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I plan on applying for med school 2007 and like most want to raise my undergraduate G.P.A. by completing a post bacc program. I am applying to the Microbiology track at VCU. Based on previous posts it seems as if the anatomy,physiology, and biochem are the best route to go.

Do you think VCU medical school would give preference to those in the anatomy,physiology and biochem track over micro?

For those of you who have completed the program, how demanding is the program? How many hours a week did you commit to studying?

Thank you.

Members don't see this ad.

When I applied to the program last summer, I went in planning to be a Micro student. As the summer wore on and I talked to more people, the more negative stuff I heard about that track, it's rigors, and it's support. So I changed depts like the week before school started, and ended up doing physiology.

It's a very rigorous program. You will learn a lot, you will study hard, and you will memorize A LOT. Be prepared to study more than you ever have before. First semester biochem and physiology each have 6 tests.. that's already twelve tests, not including an elective.

I don't think that the VCU medical school would give preference to those from other tracks over micro. But I do think that anatomy has a better chance of getting into school, because they have to take both histo and neuroanatomy and the requirements to get into that program are higher than the others.

As a side note, this program will not increase your undergraduate GPA. It is a graduate level program, and on AMCAS it will have it's own GPA (either under post bac or graduate... I'm not sure which I put).

Let me know if u have any other questions.

Members don't see this ad :)
I think I will switch. I planned on taking Micro because I will complete a Master's in Public Health this August and I am interested in infectious diseases but I'll take whatever track will increase my chances of getting in.

Thanks so much.

Please don't change ur track just because of me. If you're really into infectious disease and micro.. then by all means go that track. People tend to do better in classes that they are interested in. I just wanted to let you know that I heard that they dont' have the best support in that track in terms of faculty.

I would rather go with a track that may help me as far as getting into med school. Plus I have had to deal with a program lacking in support for the past two years. I also think the anatomy or physiology track may better prepare me for med school.

Thanks again

I would recommend applying to all 6 programs and once you find out which one's you got into making the decision there. Do it soon b/c many programs are filling up fast. I am pretty sure anatomy is almost filled.

You will not necessarily have an easier time getting into med school from say, anat. The students that go to that programs are generally the best students and they are ranked. So you may be a great student but be ranked relatively low in the anatomy department and have trouble getting into med school. With that said, the anatomy program from what I gather, did have the best sucess of any of the programs this year (in terms of getting thier students in). They consistently perform this way. The head of that program, Dr. Leichnitz can be a great asset and will help you a lot. You will also get a decent amount of exposure and face time in the phys department. Biochem, Genetics and Micro departments will not give you very much help at all. You will pretty much feel like you are on your own in those programs. To tell you the truth, if you do well, the grades will speak for themselves. Other than guidance, the faculty of each department will not do a great deal for you so you won't really miss it.

I did the biochem. program and did very well. I got in to VCU medical school despite a very low undergrad GPA (2.8).

In terms of preparation for medical school, the anatomy program will do that the best. All 6 programs take the physiology and biochemistry classes. The Anatomy program also takes histology and neuroanatomy (in the 1st and 2nd semesters) while the Phys program takes cardiac physiology in the second semester.

Biochemistry, by far will give you the most leeway in terms of classes you take. They only require you to take the biochem course both semesters and mammalian phys in the first semester (plus a 1 hour semenar each semester). So you can take any classes you want to and tailor you courses to what you want to take (not what they make you take). Anatomy and physiology have essentially set course requirements.

Regardless of the program you pick, it will be very hard. There will be a noticable step up from undergrad. I would recommend you treat it like a job: 4 hours of class followed by 4 hours of studying in the library and then go home. If you do that, you will do well. The tests are really easy if you know the material. The problem is that there is a rediculous amount of material and it is hard to get through it all. There will be a difficult transition in the beginning. Just make sure you study your butt off for the 1st exam. A lot of kids were slaughtered by the first exams. By the withdraw deadline 1/3 of the class dropped out b/c they were failing or near to it.

MAKE SURE YOU GET PRACTICE TESTS BEFORE EACH EXAM. From year to year the exams don't change a tremendous amount.

In general, I would recommend the biochemistry program. It gives you the leeway to pick your schedule and if you choose, you can take the classes many student in the other programs take. Take 12 credits the 1st semester: 2 seminars (both are gauranteed A's), biochemistry and mammalian physiology. Get a 4.0. The admissions committee only sees your 1st semester grades b/c they end discussion on candidated by March. Make sure you do well in the 1st semester. You will have an advantage b/c a lot of people will take 15 credits (an extra 4 credit class w/o the 2nd seminar) and will be struggling through thier transition period. The Phys program recommends 15 credits while the anatomy program requires 16 credits in the first semester.
I talked to Dr. Heldberg (dean of admissions for the medical school) to see if I should take more than 12 credits. She told me that the admissions committee does not care how many credits you take provided you get A's in the Biochemistry and Physiology classes. Ironically, to them a person who gets A's in phys biochem, and the 2 seminars (4.0 w/ 12 credits) looks better than someone who gets A's in phys, biochem, 1 seminar and a B in 'drug dependence' (3.7 w/ 15 credits). They both got A's in the major classes but one got a lower GPA due to the extra class. The extra stress of the extra class does not pay.

If you have questions post 'em or private message me.

Instatewaiter said:
I would recommend applying to all 6 programs and once you find out which one's you got into making the decision there. Do it soon b/c many programs are filling up fast. I am pretty sure anatomy is almost filled.

You will not necessarily have an easier time getting into med school from say, anat. The students that go to that programs are generally the best students and they are ranked. So you may be a great student but be ranked relatively low in the anatomy department and have trouble getting into med school. With that said, the anatomy program from what I gather, did have the best sucess of any of the programs this year (in terms of getting thier students in). They consistently perform this way. The head of that program, Dr. Leichnitz can be a great asset and will help you a lot. You will also get a decent amount of exposure and face time in the phys department. Biochem, Genetics and Micro departments will not give you very much help at all. You will pretty much feel like you are on your own in those programs. To tell you the truth, if you do well, the grades will speak for themselves. Other than guidance, the faculty of each department will not do a great deal for you so you won't really miss it.

I did the biochem. program and did very well. I got in to VCU medical school despite a very low undergrad GPA (2.8).

In terms of preparation for medical school, the anatomy program will do that the best. All 6 programs take the physiology and biochemistry classes. The Anatomy program also takes histology and neuroanatomy (in the 1st and 2nd semesters) while the Phys program takes cardiac physiology in the second semester.

Biochemistry, by far will give you the most leeway in terms of classes you take. They only require you to take the biochem course both semesters and mammalian phys in the first semester (plus a 1 hour semenar each semester). So you can take any classes you want to and tailor you courses to what you want to take (not what they make you take). Anatomy and physiology have essentially set course requirements.

Regardless of the program you pick, it will be very hard. There will be a noticable step up from undergrad. I would recommend you treat it like a job: 4 hours of class followed by 4 hours of studying in the library and then go home. If you do that, you will do well. The tests are really easy if you know the material. The problem is that there is a rediculous amount of material and it is hard to get through it all. There will be a difficult transition in the beginning. Just make sure you study your butt off for the 1st exam. A lot of kids were slaughtered by the first exams. By the withdraw deadline 1/3 of the class dropped out b/c they were failing or near to it.

MAKE SURE YOU GET PRACTICE TESTS BEFORE EACH EXAM. From year to year the exams don't change a tremendous amount.

In general, I would recommend the biochemistry program. It gives you the leeway to pick your schedule and if you choose, you can take the classes many student in the other programs take. Take 12 credits the 1st semester: 2 seminars (both are gauranteed A's), biochemistry and mammalian physiology. Get a 4.0. The admissions committee only sees your 1st semester grades b/c they end discussion on candidated by March. Make sure you do well in the 1st semester. You will have an advantage b/c a lot of people will take 15 credits (an extra 4 credit class w/o the 2nd seminar) and will be struggling through thier transition period. The Phys program recommends 15 credits while the anatomy program requires 16 credits in the first semester.
I talked to Dr. Heldberg (dean of admissions for the medical school) to see if I should take more than 12 credits. She told me that the admissions committee does not care how many credits you take provided you get A's in the Biochemistry and Physiology classes. Ironically, to them a person who gets A's in phys biochem, and the 2 seminars (4.0 w/ 12 credits) looks better than someone who gets A's in phys, biochem, 1 seminar and a B in 'drug dependence' (3.7 w/ 15 credits). They both got A's in the major classes but one got a lower GPA due to the extra class. The extra stress of the extra class does not pay.

If you have questions post 'em or private message me.

Instatewaiter, thanks for the words of wisdom. :thumbup:
I'm currently applying to the anatomy program.

Instatewaiter,

Thank you so much for the information. So it is possible to apply for more than two programs? I think I read we are allowed to apply to two prgrams max. Do classes meet M-F?

Thanks

davina1979 said:
Instatewaiter,

Thank you so much for the information. So it is possible to apply for more than two programs? I think I read we are allowed to apply to two prgrams max. Do classes meet M-F?

Thanks
Instatewaiter - I'm glad that someone else posted their opinion of the program!

Davina - I think you can apply to more than two programs and I definitely know people who have done so. And yes, biochemistry and mammalian physiology meet M-F during the first semester. Biochem also meets M-F during the second semester.

Good luck!

Unless the applications have changed, I am pretty sure you can apply to all 6 programs on one application (you just write each one in), which makes it really easy. I applied to all 6, so if there was a restriction, they don't seem to enforce it. Know that some programs are more difficult to get into. I think anatomy and phys are the hardest to get into while the others are relatively easy to get into. I had no idea there was such a difference between programs, so you guys are definately at an advantage.

For those applying to the Anatomy program, get on Dr. Leichnitz's good side quickly. He is a very nice guy and a great resource. He may even talk to the admissions committee on your behalf if you do well and he likes you. If you are in the phys program, get on the good side of whoever the head is (I think Dr. Ford). These guys will guide you through the program. The biochem guys will not really help too much. Its head, Dr Grogan is a great guy but won't be as proactive as many of the other heads.

More words of advice:
If VCU is one of your top choices, set up a meeting with the new dean of admissions (Dr. H is retiring). Describe your application and ask what you can do to improve your chances. This will not only give you some input on your app. but will also get you some exposure to the people who will decide your fate. Set up the interview soon. The dean's schedule tends to fill up quickly (Dr H is booked until she retires in august)

Meet the professors early and go to office hours. This way, you can get a letter of recommendation easily and you will have a good idea which professor will be the best choice. I would recommend getting the letter of recommendation in nov. or december. Most likely you will be on 'hold' from VCU until your first semester grades come in so you can wait until the beginning of winter.

For phys. buy the recommended book by Costanzo. It's a good addition to the syllabus. The syllabus has practice tests at the very end. Use them.

Thank you, you all have been a big help. Good luck to all of you.

Davina

davina1979 said:
Thank you, you all have been a big help. Good luck to all of you.

Davina

is it necessary to take MCAT to get into this program?

The qualification for the program are not very stringent:

You need a 2.8 GPA (some programs allow lower) and either
1600 on all the GRE (V+Q+A) or
1100 on verbal and quantitative sections of the GRE (V+Q) or
22 MCAT.

To tell you the truth though, if you have near a 22 on the MCAT getting into the program is the least of your worries. Most of the people who did very well in the program and subsequently got into med school this year had pretty high MCATs. They were pretty smart kids that had basically screwed around in college but could do the work.

Hey guys, I was wondering for those of you who already applied/got accepted whether you submitted your medical school recommendations or composite letter to satisfy the recommendations requirement. I called the graduate office at vcu but the woman I spoke to didn't sound like she was sure...

thanks!

preetster said:
Hey guys, I was wondering for those of you who already applied/got accepted whether you submitted your medical school recommendations or composite letter to satisfy the recommendations requirement. I called the graduate office at vcu but the woman I spoke to didn't sound like she was sure...

thanks!
I had my recommenders write a letter specifically for the certificate program.

ayznshorti said:
I had my recommenders write a letter specifically for the certificate program.

thanks for the info!

Yeah, I had the same question when I applied. They said I could just send in my med school recommendations but they would rather the recommenders fill out the little sheet that they have and send that in.