VCU vs Nova

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

which school?

• VCU

• Nova

Results are only viewable after voting.

jg344

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I keep going back and forth between VCU and Nova.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Why in the world would anyone want to go to NOVA?

Stay in-state, if that is where you want to practice.

I keep going back and forth between VCU and Nova.

Here's the thing, Nova is a 15 minute drive from where I live so I'd save a lot on living and all the extra expenses but Nova is still up there in cost since its private. Also I really enjoyed the environment at Nova, the people there are great and really welcoming and nice. Plus living and Florida. They prepare you to take the Florida exams where I plan on practicing, and networking may be a possibility meeting possible employers. They are remodeling the sim lab and I believe the clinics as well for the new classes coming in. But I am a little worried with the bad reputation of the clinical experience there, but to what extent is this really? Total tuition/fees/books for 4 years is $287,993

But VCU, great program with a great reputation, I loved the curriculum and the focus on the experience in clinic. People there were also great. I was also offered a 40k scholarship for the 4 years so that can help cancel out living expenses. I'm not too sure about the city and area, unfortunately I was in and out for the interview. They have impressive clinics and the whole dentsim thing was really cool. I've heard you come out of VCU with a lot of experience with your hands and pretty efficient. Total tuition/fees/books for 4 years is $285,519 (not deducting or including scholarship money)

I know at the end of the day I'll be a dentist coming out of either but I want to be sure I get the most out of where I put my money.

I'd really appreciate any feedback, thank you!
When were you offered the scholarship? Did it come with your acceptance? (by email? by mail?)

When were you offered the scholarship? Did it come with your acceptance? (by email? by mail?)
Monday, by email, and it did not come with my acceptance

Why in the world would anyone want to go to NOVA?
why did you capitalize every letter in Nova? thats weird.

I go to the school and have several friends who are in clinic.....they love it. Its south Florida so patients are not an issue, there are waitlists for patients to get in to the clinic so there is no hussling to get people into a chair.

its also noteworthy to mention that Davie (Ft Lauderdale) is extremely nice, clean and A LOT safer than Richmond VA. We are 15 min from the beach :p and everything you need (restaurants, grocery stores, bars, fast food, mall) are within minutes of campus.

Im just a lowly D1 but so far ive loved my experience. our faculty and administration take our feedback and make immediate changes. Our new Sim lab is the result of student government stepping up and administration seeing the need and following through. Our professors are approachable and helpful and our admissions committee has done an amazing job of selecting students who work well together. everyone helps everyone. there are VERY few gunners.

I have a friend at VCU and he loves it, i also have a friend in my class who is a resident of VA who got into VCU and declined her acceptance there to come to Nova.

OP, if you have any specific questions about Nova feel free to shoot me a PM!

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
why did you capitalize every letter in Nova? thats weird.

I go to the school and have several friends who are in clinic.....they love it. Its south Florida so patients are not an issue, there are waitlists for patients to get in to the clinic so there is no hussling to get people into a chair.

Im just a lowly D1 but so far ive loved my experience. our faculty and administration take our feedback and make immediate changes. Our new Sim lab is the result of student government stepping up and administration seeing the need and following through. Our professors are approachable and helpful and our admissions committee has done an amazing job of selecting students who work well together. everyone helps everyone. there are VERY few gunners.

I have a friend at VCU and he loves it, i also have a friend in my class who is a resident of VA who got into VCU and declined her acceptance there to come to Nova.

I capitalized it for emphasis. Probably shouldn't have as it makes it look like every letter is supposed to stand for something LOL

I'm glad you have a positive experience there! I just heard stories about how overpriced it is. Apparently, you don't get the training you're paying for. That's just what I heard from multiple people, who either went to Nova themselves or were sharing information they heard from someone else. Don't take it personally. ;)

I capitalized it for emphasis. Probably shouldn't have as it makes it look like every letter is supposed to stand for something LOL

I'm glad you have a positive experience there! I just heard stories about how overpriced it is. Apparently, you don't get the training you're paying for. That's just what I heard from multiple people, who either went to Nova themselves or were sharing information they heard from someone else. Don't take it personally. ;)
As im sure you have seen on SDN there are some people that are impossible to please. I know quite a few graduates from this school that are doing VERY well. One in particular is the Dentist for PGA Masters winner Jordan Speith. Every school has draw backs and rumors spread by disgruntled students/ former students. Didnt take your comments personally but i see so much hate geared toward Nova that i wanted to clear the air for those that have decisions to make.

i also have a friend in my class who is a resident of VA who got into VCU and declined her acceptance there to come to Nova.

Ooooof.