Vegan premed?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Roughhty

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello.
I'm a vegan premed.

I'm wondering about how medical school admission counsels look upon veganism and animal rights avocation in general. I have tried to find information about veganism and the medical field, but it is limited and this makes me feel uneasy.

Premed students are recommended to do activities which they enjoy- and I throughly enjoy advocating for animal rights- and that we should strive to do unique extracurricular activities so as to not be forgettable. I have been considering founding an animal rights club and advocating veganism as one of my extracurriculars.

I am confident that I could sufficiently defend my position and support my beliefs, however, I do not want to hinder my chances of acceptance. I am more than accustomed to the controversial nature of animal rights and the general reluctance of the public to consider/accept the health benefits of veganism. I am terrified that being openly vegan will result in me being past over in favour of a more passive meat eater. I am an average applicant and the last thing that I need is another hurdle! If safer, I am prepared to omit veganism from my application entirely, and take on a EC in an entirely different spectra.

That being said- Does anyone have any information about how medical school admission counsels respond to vegan applicants? What are your opinions on how I should handle the application process and the sensitive issue of animal rights? Do you think it it safe to list "active animals rights advocate" as an extra curricular, or would I be better off to not mention my controversial beliefs?

I am hoping to find first hand information from vegans who have been accepted to medical school, so that I can make a decision about how prominent I want my animal rights beliefs to represented during my application process. Is anyone here at SDN a vegan, or does anyone have any suggestions about who I could contact?

Thank you all in advance.

Members don't see this ad.

No one cares you're a vegan. That includes adcoms

Members don't see this ad :)
Vegan? No one cares. You may have to provide your own grub becuase most schools aren't going to offer much on interview day and at school sponsored events in the way of vegan fare aside from a piece of fruit and a cup of coffee. I know of a vegan physician but I don't know why the physician chooses to be vegan (health, beauty, ethics, etc).

Animal rights? Now you've got some people worried that you are going to be a problem for them with regard to teaching and research that involves animals. You might be best off to keep it to yourself.

Jejeje, evolutionary speaking being a vegan doesn't make sense + I love the taste of meat. Sorry pal!

Don't be too self-conscious! I don't know of any school that asks about your eating prefs. I would recommend keeping the activism to yourself. You never know if one of the adcoms has had their research affected by an activists or if they have the "old school hippie" attitudes towards the non-meateaters

Are you opposed to animal research? That would put you in an awkward position with all of mainstream science.

Don't be too self-conscious! I don't know of any school that asks about your eating prefs. I would recommend keeping the activism to yourself. You never know if one of the adcoms has had their research affected by an activists or if they have the "old school hippie" attitudes towards the non-meateaters

Yeah, I would be most worried about being interviewed by an Adcom threatened in the past over their animal research, if they didn't just throw out your application completely. Best to avoid animal rights activism, or at least the mention of it.

Animal rights? Now you've got some people worried that you are going to be a problem for them with regard to teaching and research that involves animals. You might be best off to keep it to yourself.

Yes, this is what I was worried about.

I'm not a pretentious vegan, I don't want to force my opinions onto others who aren't interested. I understand how monotonous and useless the act is. That being said, I am passionate about my beliefs and would like to spread the word about the health benefits of vegetables and the bad treatment of animals through leaflets or free food stands or something. Maybe a seal hunt protest or two. I don't want to throw paint on anyone or burn any labs down or anything.

BUT
If this is a EC that will be detrimental to my application, I would rather put my time and energy into basket weaving. I'm just wondering how other vegans have handled their opinions and the application process. To down play, or highlight?

Also, thank you for the heads up- vegan food options at functions are usually limited, I'm well practised and prepared in purse lunch packing. :)

Hey. I'm a third-year medical student and have been vegan for over 7 years.

www.pcrm.org

IMO, vegetarianism (at least) is in the future of mainstream medicine. But we're not in the future and people are set in their ways so I wouldn't risk mentioning it in your application at this current point in time.

Also, my family med preceptor is vegetarian and thinks very highly of me being vegan.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Yeah, I would be most worried about being interviewed by an Adcom threatened in the past over their animal research, if they didn't just throw out your application completely. Best to avoid animal rights activism, or at least the mention of it.

Yes, this is exactly my fear.

I think I will have to shelf my activism and invest my time elsewhere, I don't want to jeopardize my eligibility.

On animal testing- I understand that it is unavoidable in a lot of research, and I try not to think about it. I also believe however, and I hope others will agree with me, that in some cases it IS avoidable. I think in instances where it is feasible, animals should be omitted from studies.

Yes, this is exactly my fear.

I think I will have to shelf my activism and invest my time elsewhere, I don't want to jeopardize my eligibility.

On animal testing- I understand that it is unavoidable in a lot of research, and I try not to think about it. I also believe however, and I hope others will agree with me, that in some cases it IS avoidable. I think in instances where it is feasible, animals should be omitted from studies.

Just be careful expressing this. Even if you are right, imagine being a researcher for decades, making a few discoveries that might just have led to reduced mortality for certain illnesses, and some college student who hopes to be a doctor some day tells you that your experiments were designed wrong. I don't think you could expect a favorable result with your application cycle in that situation...

Members don't see this ad :)
I was raised vegan and my family only ate vegan foods. In highschool my parents told me try meat sort of like how the Amish do their rumspringa. I had bacon and never looked back.

Much to my family's displeasure I bring over KFC for Christmas.

Hey. I'm a third year medical student have been vegan for over 7 years.

www.pcrm.org

IMO, vegetarianism (at least) is in the future of mainstream medicine. But we're not in the future and people are set in their ways so I wouldn't risk mentioning it in your application at this current point in time.

Also, my family med preceptor is vegetarian and thinks very highly of me being vegan.

Brilliant! I was beginning to think I was alone. Congratulations to you! And I agree, the absence of animal products in the diet has health benefits that are only just beginning to become widely known, I'm very excited about the future.

I think I will downplay my activism, I don't want to be overlooked for it.

And I'm familiar with PCRM, but frankly, a lot of their activism has me on edge. I wish they were more professional and scholarly! Seriously, remember that "sit next to a vegan" on an air plane campaign? Smells like PETA to me. I would love to a strong vegan physician role model, if only they would present credited scholarly articles and studies to help the cause, instead of silly 'I'm not mclovin it' ads.

Holy Franz- Sorry if that unsettles you. I mean to passively spread the word. I understand most people (ie, you.) don't want to hear about it, but I think there are others who would. I don't see any difference in my setting up an vegan information booth, and someone else setting up a political campaign booth, a support burma booth, a buy our jewellery booth, ect. Being annoying/insulting turns people away, which is why I strive to not to be that.

Actually, yes it does, but I'm not going to waste my time. www.google.com

Yes, the two most important accomplishments of Homo erectus were the controlled use of fire and the manufacture of B-12 supplements to support their vegan lifestyle.

;)

Yes, the two most important accomplishments of Homo erectus were the controlled use of fire and the manufacture of B-12 supplements to support their vegan lifestyle.

;)

I am not refuting that meat played an important role in the evolution of human culture- but I think there is a fungus with B12 that they have found now, and aside from that, you can get B12 from unwashed organic vegetables (read: dirt.) I can find citation if you would like.

Just be careful expressing this. Even if you are right, imagine being a researcher for decades, making a few discoveries that might just have led to reduced mortality for certain illnesses, and some college student who hopes to be a doctor some day tells you that your experiments were designed wrong. I don't think you could expect a favorable result with your application cycle in that situation...
You wouldn't be saying that if a family member was deathly ill with a disease that is currently being heavily researched in animal models. Yes some of the studies are total BS, but they allow further studies to get closer and closer. Many studies fail or fail to find anything significant. But you have to shoot in order to score.

I understand both your points and I agree wholeheartedly. Although I'm sure I could defend my opinions of where I think animal testing is acceptable and why I think it should be phased out of certain research, this is really not what I'd like to be defending in my personal essay or discussing in an interview- it isn't worth being honest about at this point in my medical journey if it will upset people I desperately need approval from.

I'm wondering about how medical school admission counsels look upon veganism and animal rights avocation in general. I have tried to find information about veganism and the medical field, but it is limited and this makes me feel uneasy.
Why would there be a lot of information? What does it have to do with being a doctor?

Premed students are recommended to do activities which they enjoy-
Everyone is.

we should strive to do unique extracurricular activities so as to not be forgettable.
You don't want to be unforgettable in a bad way.

I have been considering founding an animal rights club and advocating veganism as one of my extracurriculars.
Do you have enough people for a club?
What can this club actually accomplish?

I am confident that I could sufficiently defend my position and support my beliefs, however, I do not want to hinder my chances of acceptance.
Then stop building your identity on being a vegan.

I am more than accustomed to the controversial nature of animal rights and the general reluctance of the public to consider/accept the health benefits of veganism.
While many Americans who eat a very unhealthy diet are meat eaters, that doesn't mean you cant eat animal products in proper moderation and be just as healthy as a vegan. It's easy to see consider and accept the health benefits of a healthy lifestyle, but veganism is an extreme that is unnecessary for a healthy lifestyle.

I am terrified that being openly vegan will result in me being past over in favour of a more passive meat eater.
No one can look at you and tell you are a vegan. They will only know if you tell them. I've been a vegetarian my whole life. It rarely comes up. I've had known people for years that never knew and were shocked to find out. I don't hide it, I just don't make a big deal out of it.

I am prepared to omit veganism from my application entirely, and take on a EC in an entirely different spectra.
You couldn't take on both ECs?

That being said- Does anyone have any information about how medical school admission counsels respond to vegan applicants?
They are people just like you and me who have the own beliefs and outlooks on things. If another vegan got a great response, doesn't mean you will.

What are your opinions on how I should handle the application process and the sensitive issue of animal rights?
No reason to mention it.
I consider myself an animal rights activist, but I would do animal experimentation for the greater good.

Do you think it it safe to list "active animals rights advocate" as an extra curricular, or would I be better off to not mention my controversial beliefs?
No. It's just 1 factor of your life. You don't need to mention it.

I'm not a pretentious vegan, I don't want to force my opinions onto others who aren't interested. I understand how monotonous and useless the act is.

If they were interested they would do the research themselves.

That being said, I am passionate about my beliefs and would like to spread the word about the health benefits of vegetables and the bad treatment of animals through leaflets or free food stands or something.
Everyone in America has the ability to research the health benefits of vegansim and the bad treatment of animals for themselves. If they cared about it, they would already know by the time they got to college. They don't need someone trying to educate them about it. If you are handing stuff out and telling people to believe in your lifestyle , you are pushing your views.

I was raised vegan and my family only ate vegan foods. In highschool my parents told me try meat sort of like how the Amish do their rumspringa. I had bacon and never looked back.

:highfive:
I was born into vegetarianism, even my grandparents are vegetarian.
I eat bacon and marshmallows.

This belief of animal rights people is what bothers me the most. I have done animal research and in order to be allowed to perform this research, the lab must gain approval first which explains WHY animals ARE needed in this specific study and it is already the standard to avoid animal use wherever possible. At my institution at probably most others, the animals are monitored by a staff veterinarian and at any sign of trouble, are treated expeditiously. Please do your research.

Reactions: 1 user
Hello.
I'm a vegan premed.

Premed students are recommended to do activities which they enjoy- and I throughly enjoy advocating for animal rights- and that we should strive to do unique extracurricular activities so as to not be forgettable. I have been considering founding an animal rights club and advocating veganism as one of my extracurriculars.

I am confident that I could sufficiently defend my position and support my beliefs, however, I do not want to hinder my chances of acceptance. I am more than accustomed to the controversial nature of animal rights and the general reluctance of the public to consider/accept the health benefits of veganism. I am terrified that being openly vegan will result in me being past over in favour of a more passive meat eater. I am an average applicant and the last thing that I need is another hurdle! If safer, I am prepared to omit veganism from my application entirely, and take on a EC in an entirely different spectra.

That being said- Does anyone have any information about how medical school admission counsels respond to vegan applicants? What are your opinions on how I should handle the application process and the sensitive issue of animal rights? Do you think it it safe to list "active animals rights advocate" as an extra curricular, or would I be better off to not mention my controversial beliefs?

I am hoping to find first hand information from vegans who have been accepted to medical school, so that I can make a decision about how prominent I want my animal rights beliefs to represented during my application process. Is anyone here at SDN a vegan, or does anyone have any suggestions about who I could contact?

Not trying to be a jackass in my usual "the-game-is-already-over" way, but if you are so wedded to nutrition and health, you might be disappointed with medical schoool. You are likely to get a few hours of lectures tops about nutrition in the entire four years and that will be basic stuff, not fist-raising and a "Forks Over Knives" pep rally. Americans are definitely fat because they don't eat enough green stuff, but this is still outside of mainstream medicine. Just a thought.

Gosh.

Why would there be a lot of information? What does it have to do with being a doctor?
I was afraid it may have something to do with not becoming a doctor. If I had a forehead tattoo or two moms I would be looking that up instead.

Everyone is.
Oh, of course, thanks.

You don't want to be unforgettable in a bad way.
Yes. That is why I came to the SDN and asked if being openly vegan would be viewed in a bad way.

Do you have enough people for a club?
What can this club actually accomplish?
Well, I hadn't really put up fliers or developed a club thesis yet, but obviously my founding a club would hinge on valuable activities and sufficient members, as does any club. I was really more wondering about if 'Vegan club president' on my application would land it in the garbage or get a nod of approval.

Then stop building your identity on being a vegan.
I actually avoid mentioning my beliefs at all costs, because of the stigma surrounding it. I was, however, fleetingly considering highlighting in my medical school application, but I was worried about the implications it may have. As I said above a few times, I think it is too controversial a niche for me to try and feature.

While many Americans who eat a very unhealthy diet are meat eaters, that doesn't mean you cant eat animal products in proper moderation and be just as healthy as a vegan. It's easy to see consider and accept the health benefits of a healthy lifestyle, but veganism is an extreme that is unnecessary for a healthy lifestyle.
Lets just agree that we probably agree on some things and disagree on a lot of others. I don't really want to have a meat/no meat argument and I highly doubt you want to either.

No one can look at you and tell you are a vegan. They will only know if you tell them.
I understand that, of course- I said I was worried about the implications of being 'openly' vegan, ie, putting it in my personal essay.

You couldn't take on both ECs?
I am doing more than one EC. I meant that I wouldn't spend my time and energy in a hobby which I couldn't mention in a medical school application- I would invest it into something else.

They are people just like you and me who have the own beliefs and outlooks on things. If another vegan got a great response, doesn't mean you will.
I'd still like to see how other vegans fair.

No reason to mention it.
No. It's just 1 factor of your life. You don't need to mention it.

Yes, I know that I don't have to mention it. I was wondering though, if I choose to, if it would be a good EC, or a negative one. I understand fully that I can just not say anything about it.

If they were interested they would do the research themselves.
Everyone in America has the ability to research the health benefits of vegansim and the bad treatment of animals for themselves. If they cared about it, they would already know by the time they got to college. They don't need someone trying to educate them about it. If you are handing stuff out and telling people to believe in your lifestyle , you are pushing your views.

I know its hard to believe, especially if you came from a family of vegetarians, but a lot of people are completely unaware of the bad treatment of animals. Please don't think that I live in a fantasy world where I think everyone I speak to will stop eating meat. I have been a vegan for a long time and I'm fully aware that most people don't care- But in the same way I advocate people stop tanning, or visiting mexico alone, I will keep trying to let people know about the dangers of animal products, and the harm those animals come to. If I reach even one person, I feel I make a difference, even if at the irritation of a lot of others, and at your personal disapproval.
And I suppose I am pushing my views- I meant more that I intended to politely do so.

Onto my other big fans:
Please do your research.
I'm not an expert, I'm sorry if my uninformed and loosely described opinions are irritating. I was asked for my opinion and I briefly summarized it. I recognize that our regulations governing research are well established and there for a reason and I won't pretend to grasp them in even the vaguest sense. I am not an AR activist who goes about about yelling that animal testing is wrong, because, although I am not educated about the matter, I recognize that I am not educated in the matter so I avoid talking about it. I will develop justifiable opinions when I have the training to do so.
That being said:
http://www.afma-curedisease.org/index.html
This website has always given me hope that there are other non-animal based testing methods available, and I have been under the impression that the group is legitimate. Maybe I am just a uneducated premed student though- Could you please take a look through it and let me know if this is absolute hogwash, or if there is anything to they have to say of value? I would appreciate your opinion- I don't want to uneducated on this topic.

Not trying to be a jackass in my usual "the-game-is-already-over" way, but if you are so wedded to nutrition and health, you might be disappointed with medical schoool. You are likely to get a few hours of lectures tops about nutrition in the entire four years and that will be basic stuff, not fist-raising and a "Forks Over Knives" pep rally. Americans are definitely fat because they don't eat enough green stuff, but this is still outside of mainstream medicine. Just a thought
I'm really not into nutrition in a phenomenal sense. If I was I would just become a dietician or a NP or something. I was just wondering if admission committees might like me if I liked nutrition.

gettheleadout- I know. :( PCRM is embarrassing to me as a vegan. Please do not let it represent us as a whole.

Actually, yes it does, but I'm not going to waste my time. www.google.com

Very convincing argument :rolleyes:

Jajaja I've heard this many times. :laugh:

My thoughts exactly :sleep:

:confused: I thought it was the caloric density of meat that allowed pre-humans to have increasingly large, energy-sucking brains. That and fire, which allowed plants and animals to taste better and be easier to ingest/digest.

That said, let's not confuse wild antelope grazing pristine prairie 10,000 years ago with the mass-produced and nitrate-, stabilizer-, antibiotic-, and hormone-infused crap widely available now.

The best advice I've seen is to flip the CW. Prepare a plate of whole grains, lean dairy, nuts/legumes, and produce, and garnish that with meat. Not the other way around.

I know its hard to believe, especially if you came from a family of vegetarians, but a lot of people are completely unaware of the bad treatment of animals. Please don't think that I live in a fantasy world where I think everyone I speak to will stop eating meat. I have been a vegan for a long time and I'm fully aware that most people don't care- But in the same way I advocate people stop tanning, or visiting mexico alone, I will keep trying to let people know about the dangers of animal products, and the harm those animals come to. If I reach even one person, I feel I make a difference, even if at the irritation of a lot of others, and at your personal disapproval.
And I suppose I am pushing my views- I meant more that I intended to politely do so.

If you've been on Facebook for more than two months and have friends outside of your immediate circle, I can almost guarantee you've been exposed to animal cruelty information. I'll use the word information to be nice, but let's just say that there are many people who don't share your desire to avoid being pushy (a personal fave of mine was "macaw monkies being illegally captured in nets for black market trade = eating cows is bad"-oh, and the people that posted it to whom I said I thought it was a ludicrous parallel said that they wished I would be "thrown to the lions" and meant it quite literally-true story).

The point of posting that story is: those are the kinds of people you risk yourself being associated with if you mention animal activism. I agree that avoiding it would be in your best interests.

To be quite honest, my primary issue with those who advocate for a diet based upon animal rights -- including, but not limited to, vegan-ism, organic diets, [true] free range meat and the like -- is that it tends to come from a place of immense socioeconomic privilege and it is a privilege that most within the community do not truly recognize or appreciate. This is especially important as I have met far too many vegans who feel a moral superiority based upon their choices, even if it is not voiced in an outward way.

Here is a basic truth: choosing one's diet is a privilege as one must have food security to have that freedom. If one is poor, they are significantly less likely to have that food security that would allow them to pursue such diets in a healthy, balanced way.

Organic and free-range foods, in nearly all circumstances, are pricey. Meat and dairy replacements, in almost all circumstances, are pricy. While someone can follow a healthy vegan diet without soy-based meat replacements, they will either have to eat more food overall or eat more meals that require actual preparation to consume the same level of proteins and other needed nutrients. Plus, as I have noticed that many who advocate for a vegan diet also advocate for an organic one [for good reason], they would also have to purchase more expensive food to begin with to truly meet the advocated standard. For someone who works long hours with very little pay, this is simply not feasible, especially when you consider the fact that many, if not most, farmers markets and similar venues where one would find such food do not accept food stamps.

That, of course, assumes they have enough money to buy their own food at all. If they are depending on food pantries, garbage cans, soup kitchens and the like, one is going to eat whatever is given to them. It will not matter if it is vegan, organic, free range, saturated in high fructose corn syrup or any other descriptor. It is food and that is all that matters.

Then you have food deserts, in which there is genuinely no quality food for hours,

Thus, as someone who does consider hirself an at-times passionate animal rights advocate*, but also a human advocate, I tell vegans and those with related diets who want their diets to be more widely accepted -- even if they do not want to force them, per se -- that one of the best ways to do this is to make the aforementioned food more widely available, especially when it concerns quality vegetables and food that is organic, free range, lacks high fructose corn syrup, lacks saturated fats and so forth. Fight for your local farmer's market to take food stamps. Buy, grow or otherwise obtain fresh, healthy food and then either serve them at your local food pantry or deliver them to needy families. Bus families to grocery stores. This is the best way to advocate for vegan-ism, in my opinion, and I say this as a vegetarian who wants to go vegan. But only once you have done these things do I think one can talk about how people should become vegan.

*I am against factory farming, animal abuse/neglect, the categorization of military dogs as equipment, all-kill shelters, inhumane treatment of captive (ie, zoo, carnival, etc) animals and unethical animal research, in that I believe it should be -- and, in my experience is -- done humanely. For example, a family member was recently in lab that did research with mice that involved irradiating their bone marrow. It was the only way to conduct those studies; but all of the mice received extensive palliative care. They did everything they could to make sure the mice were in as little pain as was possible.

All of that being said, in terms of medical school applications, I think others here, in the midst of typical SDN inflammatory behavior, have made some good points. Many, if not most, of the adcom will likely have been directly involved or in some way benefited from (ie, a physician who can give his patient a treatment discovered with the help of animal research) animal research. If you are involved or they get the impression you are involved in activities that oppose their research, they become defensive towards you and view your application unfavorably.

In addition, there is stigma surrounding being vegan, mainly due to the vast amount of vegans who are, shall we say, militant in those views. Unfortunately, they taint the image for the rest of you and many will assume that vegan=militant vegan.

On the other hand, I doubt any adcom will oppose you fighting against animal abuse, unethical treatment as a whole, nor do I think they would oppose you advocating for seals. They may not personally be invested in it; but it will not be a negative.

Ultimately, if you choose to pursue this, I would make sure to frame it very, very carefully in your application.

Good luck!

Meat and dairy replacements, in almost all circumstances, are pricy.

Nope. Almost all produce is $1.50/lb or less.

And I can make a burger - whole grain bun, lean ground turkey, provolone cheese, lettuce, pickles, castup - for about a dollar.

Then you have food deserts, in which there is genuinely no quality food for hours

Two major studies recently debunked the "food desert." It turns out areas with a higher concentration of gas stations, convenience stores, and fast food restaurants also have a higher concentration of grocery stores.

I'm vegan too! Just be sure you focus on the positive whatever you say, you definitely don't want to make the reader uncomfortable by sounding accusatory at all... Shouldn't be a problem though if you focus on the positive, good luck!

Same situation. I'm applying this cycle and described animal rights activism I've been involved in in detail in my work and activities. I'll let you know how that goes in a few months ;)

This is more complicated than just "food deserts don't exist and aren't a problem."

http://opinionator.blogs.nytimes.com/2012/04/25/time-to-revisit-food-deserts/

Sent from my iPhone using SDN Mobile

Rules vs exceptions.

"Poor neighborhoods, Dr. Lee found, had nearly twice as many fast food restaurants and convenience stores as wealthier ones, and they had more than three times as many corner stores per square mile. But they also had nearly twice as many supermarkets and large-scale grocers per square mile."

"Dr. Sturm found no relationship between what type of food students said they ate, what they weighed, and the type of food within a mile and a half of their homes."

"Living close to supermarkets or grocers did not make students thin and living close to fast food outlets did not make them fat."

It probably depends a lot on the school. In general, Loma Linda should be in favor of your vegetarianism. At Stanford, one of the most famous professors who has been on most the short list of predictions for a nobel prize in recent years (co-inventor of microarrays) has been a vegan, and is now dedicating his research into meat substitutes.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/science/2012/jun/22/fake-meat-scientific-breakthroughs-research

Schools that have a lot of South Indians, particularly Jains (Jainist) should be sympathetic.

If you've spent a lot of time in activism, that's generally a good thing. It means you engaged in the community, want to help others, and maybe helps make you unique. Focussing on the effort to reduce meat consumption for the environment and other's health is a good way to go.

As noted, med schools, particularly ones doing a lot of basic research with rodents, primates, frogs, fish, etc. may be concerned that you will focus activism against that if you have protested animals in research in the past, but even that isn't always a deal breaker. You are allowed to have your own beliefs and your own moral compass. You just need to be able to work well with those with other beliefs.

The classic debate ... Should thousands of chimpanzees dies so millions of humans can live?

My answer: Yes.

No one cares dude, just don't pull the missionary card on the interviewer.

Last edited:
You wouldn't be saying that if a family member was deathly ill with a disease that is currently being heavily researched in animal models. Yes some of the studies are total BS, but they allow further studies to get closer and closer. Many studies fail or fail to find anything significant. But you have to shoot in order to score.

If only that were all the animal testing that took place. I spent two years working in a lab that used a rat model of retinitis pigmentosa, and didn't say a thing. When animals get killed pointlessly to test cosmetics or household products, that crosses the line.

The classic debate ... Should thousands of chimpanzees dies so millions of humans can live?

My answer: Yes.

"Chimpanzees"?!! Do you have any idea how expensive they are?

I have dissected cats for my anatomy class and baby pigs, sharks etc for basic bio classes. How do you feel dissecting these animals in classes? If you are one the of the people who asked to be excused in class because dissecting animals is against your beliefs, then maybe you shouldn't mention veganism. If you feel that sacrificing animals' lives is OK in the name of knowledge and science, then you shouldn't have a problem being an open vegan; but be prepared to explain your stand so that nobody takes you the wrong way (aka hippie who calls for end to animal testing, but is ok chugging down antibiotics developed from animal testing when in need of medicine)

Yes, this is what I was worried about.

I'm not a pretentious vegan, I don't want to force my opinions onto others who aren't interested. I understand how monotonous and useless the act is. That being said, I am passionate about my beliefs and would like to spread the word about the health benefits of vegetables and the bad treatment of animals through leaflets or free food stands or something. Maybe a seal hunt protest or two. I don't want to throw paint on anyone or burn any labs down or anything.

BUT
If this is a EC that will be detrimental to my application, I would rather put my time and energy into basket weaving. I'm just wondering how other vegans have handled their opinions and the application process. To down play, or highlight?

Also, thank you for the heads up- vegan food options at functions are usually limited, I'm well practised and prepared in purse lunch packing. :)

Every vegan is a pretentious vegan! Basically it's the equivalent of indoctrinating yourself into Westboro.

SPREAD YOUR BELIEFS ELSEWHERE, DEMON!

I am totally confused as to why you would consider making this an issue? Are you trying to feel persecuted for your beliefs or something? No one gives a crap whether you are a vegan or not.

MayXu.jpg

Last edited:
I suggest talking to a PhD at your school who conducts animal research so that they can explain to you exactly the regulatory processes regarding animal research and approval for such. Try to get your information from the source rather than relying on fancy-looking websites. The internet is crazy.

Hello.
I'm a vegan premed.

You almost had me until i got to that :laugh:

As is true in the business world, there are only 3 questions that really matter when assessing a candidate for hiring/admission:

Are they qualified/can they do the work?
Are they passionate about the work?
Will they fit in? (but putting aside prejudices and bigotry)

Someone who acts like a jerk about their dietary habits and preferences, philosophical beliefs, religious (or atheistic) zealotry, and so forth, can get rejected on the basis of that last question.

As is true in the business world, there are only 3 questions that really matter when assessing a candidate for hiring/admission:

Someone who acts like a jerk about their dietary habits and preferences, philosophical beliefs, religious (or atheistic) zealotry, and so forth, can get rejected on the basis of that last question.

Translation: Vegan on AMCAS = Game. Over.

Some day (hopefully), but we're not there yet. :(

Organic and free-range foods, in nearly all circumstances, are pricey. Meat and dairy replacements, in almost all circumstances, are pricy. While someone can follow a healthy vegan diet without soy-based meat replacements, they will either have to eat more food overall or eat more meals that require actual preparation to consume the same level of proteins and other needed nutrients.

Beans = cheap, easy to prepare, and protein rich. Vitamin B12 from cereals, soy milk, nutritional yeast, or a multivitamin. Don't buy all organic produce, just avoid the dirty dozen. Iron from cream of wheat or black strap molasses.

I'm not a vegetarian or vegan, but they aren't inherently expensive diets to follow.

There is a difference btw animal rights and animal welfare. You may turn some people off if they believe you know the difference and continue to label yourself an animal rights activist. Just a thought.

Status
Not open for further replies.