Venison Use Disorder

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Sushirolls

Topped with salmon, avocado and tobiko
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I've been aware of the issues of venison withdrawal, worse with Elk. People who consume their harvest completely before the next season roles around. The stress of an empty freezer and need to even consider non-wild protein. It's a terrible affliction, but thankfully September/October roles around eventually and things subside.

But I am concerned that we may need to push for a DSM SiX work group to explore adding Venison Use Disorder, of course with the usual mild/moderate/severe specifiers. That link, reflects a case study, I hope we don't see more of.

Have you experienced any symptoms of what might be Venison Use Disorder? Or know of others who have?

My spouse has told me we've cooked too many dinners of the week with deer.
I've been chastised for not making any grind to have burger meat in the freezer.
I've got a friend who has used up all the ground elk meat, and getting chastised by spouse.
I've known one family whose kids revolted at the thought of having no Elk in the house and being told, "beef, its what's for dinner."
It can also afflict at a young age, I've known one person who grew up only on Elk and just couldn't eat beef for years.
For those in the lower 48 who draw moose tags (typically once in a life time tag), they go through a sadness once that supply is gone.

Goat meat could possibly be a MAT (Meat Assisted Therapy), but a court order to local restaurants may be needed.

*But seriously that is a poacher, not a hunter, and I'm glad is being processed through the courts. So sad.

Members don't see this ad.

• Haha
Reactions: 8 users
Never heard of it. I'm not a hunter but like watching hunting videos. Don't know what the heck it is. The link provided doesn't show anything strongly suggesting a disorder. Just a guy claiming he's "addicted" to venison which could mean anything. It's also NOT A CASE STUDY. It's a newspaper report of a guy facing legal charges for poaching.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Humor folks.
Sarcasm.

Sigh.

For those who hunt or know hunters this would generate a chuckle, but at least a smile.

So let's rephrase this for the serious crowd and we'll call it cultural competency.

There is a large of chunk of America that hunts. Its varies from simply getting meat cheaply, to time away from family, or time to reconnect with extended family, or as notable as a way of life/passion. People who hunt typically love their wild caught, ethically sourced, sustainable free range animals. The seasonality of the year, hunting is its own season. Just as some get excite about seeing pumpkin spice things in the fall, those first frosts ignite smiles and heart racing in hunters knowing ... its coming. There is a sadness of seeing one's meat supply dwindle and cringe at thought of needing to buy from the grocery store. This is your 0.25CME cultural competency AMA 1a type credit, summary blurb.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
I had venison once and it was incredible. Made sure to avoid it for the rest of my life due to my genetic predisposition for chemical dependence.

• Haha
Reactions: 2 users
Other proposed symptom criteria:
  1. Nightmares of going to the grocery store or butcher shop for farmed meat.
  2. Avoidance of non-wild meat and meat products.
  3. Interference with social functioning due to only wanting to talk about game in social situations or bringing of raw meat to places where it would be inappropriate to do so.
  4. Hallucinations of deer in places where there most certainly would not be a deer.
  5. Delusions about how much deer can fit into the trunk of your new F150 (which the bed is much smaller than the previous models of F150s).

• Haha
Reactions: 5 users
I've been aware of the issues of venison withdrawal, worse with Elk. People who consume their harvest completely before the next season roles around. The stress of an empty freezer and need to even consider non-wild protein. It's a terrible affliction, but thankfully September/October roles around eventually and things subside.

But I am concerned that we may need to push for a DSM SiX work group to explore adding Venison Use Disorder, of course with the usual mild/moderate/severe specifiers. That link, reflects a case study, I hope we don't see more of.

Have you experienced any symptoms of what might be Venison Use Disorder? Or know of others who have?

My spouse has told me we've cooked too many dinners of the week with deer.
I've been chastised for not making any grind to have burger meat in the freezer.
I've got a friend who has used up all the ground elk meat, and getting chastised by spouse.
I've known one family whose kids revolted at the thought of having no Elk in the house and being told, "beef, its what's for dinner."
It can also afflict at a young age, I've known one person who grew up only on Elk and just couldn't eat beef for years.
For those in the lower 48 who draw moose tags (typically once in a life time tag), they go through a sadness once that supply is gone.

Goat meat could possibly be a MAT (Meat Assisted Therapy), but a court order to local restaurants may be needed.

*But seriously that is a poacher, not a hunter, and I'm glad is being processed through the courts. So sad.
The Carnivore Diet is no joke.

Venison is really great stuff. Should have enough for a while after this past season. Also, as far as red meat goes, it's some of the healthiest you can eat. Really great stuff indeed.

Reactions: 1 users