Vent

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Reaction score
Neurotic premed vent.
I'm taking an upper level writing class with a very rough grading scale: >95% = A. The professor grades pretty harshly too, average = 85%. Does not round up grades either. My final grade comes to be 94.8% = A-. :rolleyes: Ugh. Losing my 4.0 over it. Pretty proud of the grade since I earned it, but still.

As @gyngyn has wisely put it, there usually comes an appropriate time to lose this 'virginity,' though Idk if this kind of thing would be an appropriate time.

Thanks for reading, good night, and good luck to everyone who still got finals.

r/rent

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 2 users
I've honestly never heard someone compare having a 4.0 to being a virgin. I guess this class really ****ed ya, huh? ;)

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Who cares man. Lol. Congrats you have a 3.99 now instead of a 4.00, so you’re human like the rest of us :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: 1 users
Who cares man. Lol. Congrats you have a 3.99 now instead of a 4.00, so you’re human like the rest of us :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Last I heard a 3.99 is looked down upon at Princeton Medical School. My friend who attends there told me something along the lines of "we are the number 1 medical school in the nation, why accept stupid people?"

Reactions: 3 users
I'd just like to say that I'd have killed for classes where the class average was a 85

Reactions: 1 user
I've honestly never heard someone compare having a 4.0 to being a virgin. I guess this class really ****ed ya, huh? ;)
Honestly, when I saw my final grade, instead of breaking down in tears or something like what premeds are expected to do, I just laughed out loud and gently shook my head.
Hope this little defeat brings me a bit of luck with the MCAT, or other more important things in life. :whistle:

Honestly, when I saw my final grade, instead of breaking down in tears or something like what premeds are expected to do, I just laughed out loud and gently shook my head.
Hope this little defeat brings me a bit of luck with the MCAT, or other more important things in life. :whistle:

When you're in medical school, you'll be surrounded by people who had 3.8s, 3.7s, 3.6s, etc., in undergrad. You'll look back at this post and feel silly. Getting one A- in a writing course isn't a "defeat"; it's totally inconsequential. :)

When you're in medical school, you'll be surrounded by people who had 3.8s, 3.7s, 3.6s, etc., in undergrad. You'll look back at this post and feel silly. Getting one A- in a writing course isn't a "defeat"; it's totally inconsequential. :)
Yeah I agree it's inconsequential in the grand scheme of things. I just felt abandoned by luck this time since much like other writing classes grades in this one are so subjective haha.

Attachments

• 7f3adc7f4acf2b6be9ee8b69ea36e7f2d3718c5c6f721aaf4e52bdf8130b7705.jpg
    7f3adc7f4acf2b6be9ee8b69ea36e7f2d3718c5c6f721aaf4e52bdf8130b7705.jpg
    37.1 KB · Views: 53
Members don't see this ad :)
Downward trend isn't a good sign to admissions. Kidding kidding. Congrats on the GPA.

Kind of like how I feel about my B- in COMS 130 - Speaker Audience Communication. Of Organic I, Organic I lab, Anatomy, Microbiology, and Micro lab, COMS 130 is the class that gives me my first lowest grade since 8th grade communication arts.

Kind of like how I feel about my B- in COMS 130 - Speaker Audience Communication. Of Organic I, Organic I lab, Anatomy, Microbiology, and Micro lab, COMS 130 is the class that gives me my first lowest grade since 8th grade communication arts.

Stay away from courses with the word "communication".

Incredibly odd for a writing course to be graded on a 100 point scale like that, all of mine have been +-ABCDF for all papers. How can one practically quantify a point in writing??

That said, I agree with everyone else, at least now you don't have to stress about losing your 4.0 in the future ;)

Neurotic premed vent.
I'm taking an upper level writing class with a very rough grading scale: >95% = A. The professor grades pretty harshly too, average = 85%. Does not round up grades either. My final grade comes to be 94.8% = A-. :rolleyes: Ugh. Losing my 4.0 over it. Pretty proud of the grade since I earned it, but still.

As @gyngyn has wisely put it, there usually comes an appropriate time to lose this 'virginity,' though Idk if this kind of thing would be an appropriate time.

Thanks for reading, good night, and good luck to everyone who still got finals.

r/rent

Wait, is an 85% a B? you call that harsh?? I thought most schools make the average a C+ or B-. my schol does..

Wait, is an 85% a B? you call that harsh?? I thought most schools make the average a C+ or B-. my schol does..
In most cases yes, but I wouldn't say that can be generalized about universities as a whole. Grading scale is more professor or class dependent, at least speaking from my own experience. In my gen chem II class a 90% is an A. In Ochem 85% was an A. Those curves were set to make class averages around a B-. For non-science classes though, I would say a B average is not all that uncommon.

The cutoff for an A was 95. That’s a little high considering it’s usually 93.
Yeah the professor had high standards...

In most cases yes, but I wouldn't say that can be generalized about universities as a whole. Grading scale is more professor or class dependent, at least speaking from my own experience. In my gen chem II class a 90% is an A. In Ochem 85% was an A. Those curves were set to make class averages around a B-. For non-science classes though, I would say a B average is not all that uncommon.

I agree, most schools have A starting from 93% or even 90%.

But, I can see why 95% for this class. The professor had to defferintiate an average student (85%) from an excellent one.

I had a class like that. Upper division math course. One of my last for my major. I missed the cutoff by 0.1 points. Prof didn’t care that I just got back from deployment, was working 90 hour weeks and had a 15 month old and a newborn. My only non A grade in my upper division courses.

The gunning is strong here

I wouldn't call OP a gunner. It seems that a lot of people are saying things like "Stop complaining; an A- is a perfectly fine grade!"
It's not that she's venting because she got an A-. She's venting because she was 0.2% from the higher grade cutoff, which is perfectly understandable.

I wouldn't call OP a gunner. It seems that a lot of people are saying things like "Stop complaining; an A- is a perfectly fine grade!"
It's not that she's venting because she got an A-. She's venting because she was 0.2% from the higher grade cutoff, which is perfectly understandable.
Though I understand what OP feels, it is completely understandable.

My sister and many of my other friends went through nursing program where 79.999 is F. After you fail second time, you are out of the program. 30 some students have started the program and only 5 have survived until the end. That's something to vent about.

Having a course where 85% is an average is extremely lucky. I don't think I had one like that in all my college years even for psychology, English or other general courses.

Though I understand what OP feels, it is completely understandable.

My sister and many of my other friends went through nursing program where 79.999 is F. After you fail second time, you are out of the program. 30 some students have started the program and only 5 have survived until the end. That's something to vent about.

Having a course where 85% is an average is extremely lucky. I don't think I had one like that in all my college years even for psychology, English or other general courses.

Not sure what you mean by the bolded part. What is "completely understandable"?

That nursing program sounds really tough, and you're right. Failing out of it would certainly be something to vent about.

Just because an 85% average seems generous at your college, doesn't mean it's the same for everyone else. Some classes give the majority of their students A's, so a student at a different school may find an 85% average harsh. Both opinions are valid. Generous/harsh grading curves are relative, and something does not become objectively generous or harsh just because one declares it so.

Just because you or people you know have it harder than others, does not mean that others do not have the right to vent about their situation. Comments invalidating OP's frustration, especially when she has already clearly accepted that she got the grade she earned, are not helpful.

Not sure what you mean by the bolded part. What is "completely understandable"?

That nursing program sounds really tough, and you're right. Failing out of it would certainly be something to vent about.

Just because an 85% average seems generous at your college, doesn't mean it's the same for everyone else. Some classes give the majority of their students A's, so a student at a different school may find an 85% average harsh. Both opinions are valid. Generous/harsh grading curves are relative, and something does not become objectively generous or harsh just because one declares it so.

Just because you or people you know have it harder than others, does not mean that others do not have the right to vent about their situation. Comments invalidating OP's frustration, especially when she has already clearly accepted that she got the grade she earned, are not helpful.
What is understandable is why professor decided to make A to be at 95% and not 90 or usual 93%.