Ventilator textbook

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

WheezyBaby

RSV Fomite
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Trying to get better at the intricacies of vent management and was looking for a text to help in that regard.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/0190...=QB60XCFAQSM18WCVVSRQ&dpPl=1&dpID=41uOCO9qIaL

Looks like a somewhat promising balance of length / depth, but if there's something between that and Tobin in length that's solid, I'd be interested. Tobin's too much. Appreciate any recommendations

Members don't see this ad.

Trying to get better at the intricacies of vent management and was looking for a text to help in that regard.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/0190...=QB60XCFAQSM18WCVVSRQ&dpPl=1&dpID=41uOCO9qIaL

Looks like a somewhat promising balance of length / depth, but if there's something between that and Tobin in length that's solid, I'd be interested. Tobin's too much. Appreciate any recommendations

I feel like all you need to do to know the vent inside and out is to be clincially busy. No amount of reading can substitute for being alone in an icu at 3AM troubleshooting a vent. Sure, you need to read - but I feel like peer reviewed journal articles + clinical experience will beat a textbook any day.

Reactions: 1 user
I agree that being at the bedside and feeling confident to try different things is ultimately the most beneficial, but understand how as someone still in training, you'd like to have an understanding of what you're doing and perhaps more CYA to answer the question "why?" did that work.

I could have sworn that Tobin had a consolidated handbook to go along with it, but seems like I dreamed that up.

There are some books floating around our office, I'll check for you next week when I'm back on service

Members don't see this ad :)
I feel like all you need to do to know the vent inside and out is to be clincially busy. No amount of reading can substitute for being alone in an icu at 3AM troubleshooting a vent. Sure, you need to read - but I feel like peer reviewed journal articles + clinical experience will beat a textbook any day.

I agree that being at the bedside and feeling confident to try different things is ultimately the most beneficial, but understand how as someone still in training, you'd like to have an understanding of what you're doing and perhaps more CYA to answer the question "why?" did that work.

I could have sworn that Tobin had a consolidated handbook to go along with it, but seems like I dreamed that up.

There are some books floating around our office, I'll check for you next week when I'm back on service

Thanks! I agree there's nothing quite comparable to hands on, but I've had a few instances of trouble shooting hands on where I feel like a little more textbook knowledge base would have been helpful (in particular, have run into issues with keeping bronchiolitics to a reasonable level of respiratory acidosis without having to paralyze them)

Thanks! I agree there's nothing quite comparable to hands on, but I've had a few instances of trouble shooting hands on where I feel like a little more textbook knowledge base would have been helpful (in particular, have run into issues with keeping bronchiolitics to a reasonable level of respiratory acidosis without having to paralyze them)
I admit, I can't remember paralyzing for acidemia, but refractory hypoxemia... giddy up. But whatever. Sometimes... patients just don't get to be active participants in their care. You gotta do whatcha gotta do.