Venting session/What are your thoughts?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

coffeeculture

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys,

I'm just a little worried and was wondering if some of you could shed some light as to what you think about my situation.

cGPA: 3.46
sGPA: 3.35

Mail out date: 10/23/2015

DAT Breakdown: GC 20, OC 20, Bio 21, RC 24, PAT 21, QR 21

I applied to Nova, UCLA, Buffalo, Boston, Case Western, NYU, Temple, Minnesota and Pitt.

I haven't received any interviews yet. Have good LORS and EC's (100 hours of shadowing and research projects, no pubs though).

Do you guys still think I have a chance? Or should I start preparing for next cycle.

I'm so worried... this feeling literally sucks.

Good luck to everyone by the way!

Members don't see this ad.

well the cycle isn't over yet.. so I'd wait a little bit more before panicking.
they'll send more invites probably after january to fill up remaining seats..

Members don't see this ad :)
I wrote my DAT in September and had the application completed by the end of the month. So yeah, it got mailed out in October, which I'm super worried about now...

I know someone who applied in December though and got interviewed by the end of December, which is why I think I'm worried as to why I haven't gotten anything. Do you think that that was just a lucky situation?

I wrote my DAT in September and had the application completed by the end of the month. So yeah, it got mailed out in October, which I'm super worried about now...

I know someone who applied in December though and got interviewed by the end of December, which is why I think I'm worried as to why I haven't gotten anything. Do you think that that was just a lucky situation?

yeah he must have had a very solid application to get an interview that fast...

What state? I'm confused by your list. If you're not from CA I'd ask why ucla as the only CA school over uop and ucsf. Not that they're easier, but at least uop is private and ucsf does take more oos than LA I think. If you are from CA, why only ucla and not sf, uop, western, USC? I'm assuming USCs cost wasn't a deterring factor considering you applied to NYU. So many questions lol

I have similar stats (mailed out 10/16) except I have higher GPA and lower RC. I applied to NOVA, NYU, Minnesota, CASE, Boston and few more and I only got pre-dec interview from my state school and post-dec from NOVA.
Hopefully they send out more interviews soon .. Let's not lose our hope!
Worst case, we can apply really early next coming cycle.

It's your [our] lateness. I have higher grades/DAT with average EC's, app complete 9/11, and have received 1 out of 11 interviews. But I only applied to one private school, and a highly selective one at that. I did not apply to any of your schools.

That one interview was fortunately my state school---who only interviewed me because they stopped doing interviews earlier than most schools and just took a look at everyone left in line before sending their final invites. They claimed that their normal interview dates were full by August.

My feelings about applying early have come full circle during my time on SDN... at first it seemed like applying early was the most important thing, then that seemed a bit extreme---that schools "would interview you if they wanted you," and now I've returned to realizing it is very important---just out of sheer practicality. Schools appear increasingly overwhelmed with applications.

Reactions: 1 users
You're right @nonociceptors, I should have probably applied to uop instead. I only applied to UCLA because it's always been a dream school of mine, I don't even know why (horrible reason I know).

@beignets - congrats on your two interviews! Yes, fingers crossed for some good news. Do you mind me asking you what your GPA is?

@akog - really hoping I don't have to re-apply, but if it comes to that. I'll definitely apply right away next time. I have a really strong upward trend for my grades (hopefully that helps). First year was a crap shoot but then year 2 = 3.8, and year 3/4 = 4.0.

I agree, you just mailed out too late. Your application is very average, not that it's bad, but it's not WOW for such a late application. As for your friend that applied in Dec, that is NOT normal, and I'm really doubting that it's true, but who knows. It's not out of the possibility to get interviews and maybe an acceptance later in the year. A couple of those schools your chances are pretty slim to get a consideration at all, UCLA, Buffalo, Pitt, MN probably are a no-go, but who knows. What are your EC's?

Buffalo and Nova are done interviewing I believe.

Members don't see this ad :)
My stats are only a bit lower than yours but I mailed in August. I've only received two interviews. It probably would have been better for both of us to have gotten ours out as early as possible.

@ajj70 - Are those schools generally harder to get into? Or was it just the lateness of my app? And I have research, shadowing, mentoring, some other leadership experiences. I'd say they're pretty good.

@fogorvostan - Yeah, I agree with you! Congrats on your 2 interviews.

What state of residency are you OP. I'm assuming NY since you applied to buffalo

I think you will have a chance at 2-3 post dec interviews, gl!

Thanks @studentdental8, appreciate it. Hopefully I hear some good news, guess I'll just have to wait it out.

I'll keep you guys updated, maybe it will give other people who applied late some hope... if I get lucky.

Hey! I'm in a similar situation. I am a re-applicant. Last year, my mail-out date was Nov 21 and I still got 3 interviews (post-Dec). I ended up being wait listed at all three schools after the interviews which is why I am applying again this year after working on improving my application. This year, my mail out date is the same as yours... 10/23/2015. I retook my DAT in late September too. I haven't heard back on interviews yet either. But usually, things get better after Dec 1. Things are slow now since people who already interviewed usually get acceptances Dec 1. So once people start taking acceptances, schools send more interviews based on that.

DAT Scores (PAT/QR/RC/Bio/GC/OC/TS/AA)
Sep 2014: 17/21/18/15/21/19/18/19
Sep 2015: 17/21/17/18/22/20/19/20

GPA (including +-/ without +-)
BCP: 3.28/3.30
Science: 3.38/3.39
Non-Science: 3.79/3.85
Total: 3.54/3.57

Don't worry! We will be fine. Just keep your head up high and don't lose hope or get discouraged because of the things you read on this forum. Stay positive, and everything will work out at the end if this is truly what you want to do! We can do it and we will :)

Reactions: 2 users
@CapricornGirl1991 - I definitely need to try to stay positive haha. Good luck to you this cycle :) What schools did you apply to?

thank you :) being positive def helps. plus during the interview, it helps show confidence. a better question is what schools did I not apply to lol. I applied to lots of schools. all schools on your list except ucla.

Reactions: 1 user
@ajj70 - Are those schools generally harder to get into? Or was it just the lateness of my app? And I have research, shadowing, mentoring, some other leadership experiences. I'd say they're pretty good.

@fogorvostan - Yeah, I agree with you! Congrats on your 2 interviews.

Harder if you are out of state.

Hey! I'm in a similar situation. I am a re-applicant. Last year, my mail-out date was Nov 21 and I still got 3 interviews (post-Dec). I ended up being wait listed at all three schools after the interviews which is why I am applying again this year after working on improving my application. This year, my mail out date is the same as yours... 10/23/2015. I retook my DAT in late September too. I haven't heard back on interviews yet either. But usually, things get better after Dec 1. Things are slow now since people who already interviewed usually get acceptances Dec 1. So once people start taking acceptances, schools send more interviews based on that.

DAT Scores (PAT/QR/RC/Bio/GC/OC/TS/AA)
Sep 2014: 17/21/18/15/21/19/18/19
Sep 2015: 17/21/17/18/22/20/19/20

GPA (including +-/ without +-)
BCP: 3.28/3.30
Science: 3.38/3.39
Non-Science: 3.79/3.85
Total: 3.54/3.57

Don't worry! We will be fine. Just keep your head up high and don't lose hope or get discouraged because of the things you read on this forum. Stay positive, and everything will work out at the end if this is truly what you want to do! We can do it and we will :)
Hey!
My stats are reallyyyy close to yours. Do you mind if I ask where you've got interviews so far? (this year and last year). I have only got 1 interview and I'm still waiting to hear back. In other words, preparing for the next cycle..!

Hey!
My stats are reallyyyy close to yours. Do you mind if I ask where you've got interviews so far? (this year and last year). I have only got 1 interview and I'm still waiting to hear back. In other words, preparing for the next cycle..!

Last year: Midwestern Az, Midwestern IL, and USC... Wait listed at all

This year: midwestern Illinois (rejected), Indiana university (wait listed), UDM (wait listed), touro (waiting to hear back), and temple (waiting to hear back)

Reactions: 1 user
Last year: Midwestern Az, Midwestern IL, and USC... Wait listed at all

This year: midwestern Illinois (rejected), Indiana university (wait listed), UDM (wait listed), touro (waiting to hear back), and temple (waiting to hear back)
Great thank you, good luck I hope you get in where you want :)