Verbal job offer

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

_RxRated

Reaction score
Earlier this week I was verbally offered a job over the phone by the pharmacy manager of the company. He said he just had to complete out a couple more interviews this week that had already been scheduled before I even submitted my application and run my salary and everything by HR to get the final OK, but he said he doesn't foresee any problems and that I should be hearing from them next week with the offer and next steps (drug testing/background check, etc.).

This job seems too good to be true, it's essentially my dream job and it'll be my first right out of graduation next month. I think its my imposter syndrome kicking in and making me question if the offer was actually extended. He said my experience and personality were a perfect match for the position and talked about the timeline of the training I'll need to undergo. Told me about the benefits, hours, and asked if I'd be willing to fill the future expectations for this role. He gave me his personal cell number and told me to please text if I had any questions, and he's been very responsive the couple of times that I have. He also seemed very straight forward and told me he'd keep me updated, so I'd assume he'd let me know if he ran into issues with HR (no news is good news)? I know HR can slow down the process quite a bit, especially at larger companies such as this. I was going to give it a good week before following up since he said I won't get the offer until next week anyways.

Is it usually pretty typical for employers to finish out conducting the already-scheduled interviews (I'm assuming out of professionalism)? Do pharmacy managers typically have more say than HR when it comes to hiring? I'm new to this process, as I've only ever had to go through this once as a tech/intern multiple years back. Is all of this pretty standard and I'm just letting my nerves get the best of me?

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
So - what kind of job is this unicorn job?

It ain’t over until it’s over. Until you get the offer and everything goes thru with the background check nothing is certain.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
It ain’t over until it’s over. Until you get the offer and everything goes thru with the background check nothing is certain.
Yep. Keep doing interviews until you start working

Absolutely, I just didn’t know if this was a pretty typical process for large businesses.

Yep. Keep doing interviews until you start working

I already have a full time job confirmed and lined up, I saw this pop up internally and had to apply because it’s something I’m really interested in. I just didn’t know if this was a pretty typical process for hiring within larger corporations.

I have been a pharmacy manager before. Here is all the Red Flags:
-HR is usually involved with, first contact AND offering you a job - it has been totally removed from any manager or directors duties
-saying you are a perfect match based on what? You haven't graduated yet!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
-Pharmacy managers don't GUSH over any new hire, especially on the phone with them. Just doesn't happen
-Okay, so in today's pharmacy job market - they offer you a job BEFORE you graduate - you must be very very special
-What is this company??
-It has to be a SCAM
Good luck with everything

Reactions: 1 users
I have been a pharmacy manager before. Here is all the Red Flags:
-HR is usually involved with, first contact AND offering you a job - it has been totally removed from any manager or directors duties
-saying you are a perfect match based on what? You haven't graduated yet!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
-Pharmacy managers don't GUSH over any new hire, especially on the phone with them. Just doesn't happen
-Okay, so in today's pharmacy job market - they offer you a job BEFORE you graduate - you must be very very special
-What is this company??
-It has to be a SCAM
Good luck with everything

Thanks for your reply, but to clarify a few things:
-He’s the pharmacy manager and pharmacy director, listed on the application as the hiring manager.
-It’s not a scam company, it’s one of the largest companies in the country.
-I reached out to him via LinkedIn right after I applied and he wanted to set up a time to talk. We ended up hitting it off and he offered me the job after reviewing my resume/CV, talking about experience, etc.
-I also have a bit of experience in this area (more than most new grads) and I’ve been working within this company for 7 years (just a separate branch).
-Like I said, he was involving HR and he was going to them to get the final approval and offer letter written up, he said HR will be contacting me to finish out the process.
-He also wasn’t gushing, he just said after talking to me and getting a feel for my personality and experience he believed I’d be a great fit and addition to their team and that the timing was pretty much perfect with my graduation and plans.

I don’t have any reason to believe this is a scam.

Last edited:
I am sorry, I thought you posted here because you had some doubts about the job offer. I read your post wrong. I thought you were asking our opinion about the credibility of the job offer. I was wrong. You were very cryptic about the type of business, while you can't name the company, it's a wonderful company by all accounts. Good luck. I will just pack up my advice and move down the road a bit.

Last edited:
Just found out I got the position, guess I was worrying about nothing! Thanks for your responses!

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users

😂🤣 anyone else spend the early 90s in an arcade with a pocket full of quarters?

Op - congrats…. And - welcome to your doom!

Reactions: 1 user