Verbal Reasoning Help- Which books?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

htxcoog16

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone,

I have about 3 more full-lengths left in my EK verbal 101 passages book... I'm seeing mixed reviews about Berkeley Review, TPRH, and just reviewing the AAMC FL's. Which source worked best for you when preparing for your exam?

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Hey everyone,

I have about 3 more full-lengths left in my EK verbal 101 passages book... I'm seeing mixed reviews about Berkeley Review, TPRH, and just reviewing the AAMC FL's. Which source worked best for you when preparing for your exam?

Thanks!
I honestly didn't like Berkley at all! I was scoring 6's on the VR on Berkley because the questions and the answers wayyyy to literal and not like AAMC's passages where there is really one good choice, two incorrect, but only correct choice so I always chose the one that was not "too literal" and that was the demise of me. I wish I didn't waste any time with TBR, I really think it hurt me since my MCAT score went down 1 point from my first time I took it (from a 9 to a 8)...

For my first time MCAT prep, I did Kaplan's and scored 9-12 (without changing strategy) and got a 9 the first time I took my MCAT so honestly, I don't know which books to recommend. I'd say go to MCAT-prep.com and use their verbal passages. In those I'm consistently getting 9-11's on those which I think is much closer to what my actual MCAT score third time will be.

Try a mix . All non-AAMC VR books have their faults. If you use a couple different test prep companies, in addition to AAMC stuff, you'll probably have plenty of material. IMO, TPR is second best to AAMC. AAMC offers practice VR passages in the self assessment, the Guide to the MCAT, and in practice tests. Feel free to reuse any AAMC passages you've already taken so you stay use to their style. The self assessment is particularly good for that.