Verbal Reasoning Strategies

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

j306c954

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey all. I am wondering if any of you have alternative VR strategies that are unique, or other than what is suggested by Kaplan

While I like Kaplan's strategy, it always makes me run short of time (even with repeated practice)
I usually highlight continuation words
I have also tried reading the questions first, and while reading the passage, actively asking myself after each paragraph "Why is the author telling me this?"

Any other unique strategies any of you have developed for VR? Do tell :)

Members don't see this ad.

perhaps you should try making your own strategy? Or maybe even go independent of a "strategy" and work on your reading comprehension skills? At least, thats what I did and it worked out for me. imo, nothing beats good old fashioned plain reading and then answering. I dont like the strategies suggested by companies because they're basically shortcuts for people who dont read very well. I dont believe that sidestepping the problem will give you any relief. Also, perhaps you need to increase your focus more? Maybe you second guess your answer choices too much?

Spend 3-4 minutes reading and digesting the passage. Really try to understand to the best of your ability what the author is trying to convey. After this, i had a much easier time answering questions but the wrong answers pop out at me. Extreme answers are usually wrong. Words with "always" and "never". They usually make an attractive answer choice because science majors like definitive answers. The answer usually contains a softener like "maybe" "sometimes" etc. They know people don't like to pick these answer choices but they are usually right. My biggest advice is knock the wrong answers out first then look for the least wrong. I think a big mistake is people simply look for the "right" answer and not the "least wrong answer". Its helped me. Good luck

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
perhaps you should try making your own strategy? Or maybe even go independent of a "strategy" and work on your reading comprehension skills? At least, thats what I did and it worked out for me. imo, nothing beats good old fashioned plain reading and then answering. I dont like the strategies suggested by companies because they're basically shortcuts for people who dont read very well. I dont believe that sidestepping the problem will give you any relief. Also, perhaps you need to increase your focus more? Maybe you second guess your answer choices too much?

I tried changing the typical 16 minutes per passage pair to allow myself an extra minute on each passage, so 18 minutes per passage pair and 6 minutes for the last passage. I try to save the last 6 minutes for the passage with the most detail-oriented questions because I tend to be good at quickly reading just the question and scanning the passage for the answer. While this has helped a little, it hasn't been much.

I think the biggest problem is my reading speed. I have ADHD, and although I am medicated, it just takes me longer to comprehend and integrate things I am reading (I've even taken a reading apprehension assessment, showing when I was not timed I was scoring above average, and when under time average time constraints I scored below). I have had accommodations for 50% extended time all my life on exams, but obviously not for the MCAT.

I've been practicing every day and my scores are still just all over the place, so I think I'm just getting lucky :-\

Members don't see this ad :)
Spend 3-4 minutes reading and digesting the passage. Really try to understand to the best of your ability what the author is trying to convey. After this, i had a much easier time answering questions but the wrong answers pop out at me. Extreme answers are usually wrong. Words with "always" and "never". They usually make an attractive answer choice because science majors like definitive answers. The answer usually contains a softener like "maybe" "sometimes" etc. They know people don't like to pick these answer choices but they are usually right. My biggest advice is knock the wrong answers out first then look for the least wrong. I think a big mistake is people simply look for the "right" answer and not the "least wrong answer". Its helped me. Good luck

Yea, I've been doing that for extremes actually (as per the Kaplan Strategy). Btw love your picture, I'm OBSESSED with House :)

I read this strategy or something like it somewhere on SDN, but here's what I do.

I read the passage intensely (3-5 mins depending on difficulty).
Then I go over it again, saying the purpose of each paragraph in my head (why the author included it etc). This can take up to a minute because I sometimes thoroughly reread the sections I didn't understand the first time.

I find I go back to the passage way less than if I only read it once and if I do go back, I know exactly where to look.

I usually finish the passage in ~8 mins, but sometimes the harder passages can take up to 11.

If you're timing yourself and you start to run out of time, skim lightly on the second read for straight forward passages.

My score jumped from a constant 7 to a constant 11 in one afternoon of doing this.

I practiced with only aamc and TPR hyperlearning verbal material.

Reactions: 1 user
I tried changing the typical 16 minutes per passage pair to allow myself an extra minute on each passage, so 18 minutes per passage pair and 6 minutes for the last passage. I try to save the last 6 minutes for the passage with the most detail-oriented questions because I tend to be good at quickly reading just the question and scanning the passage for the answer. While this has helped a little, it hasn't been much.

I think the biggest problem is my reading speed. I have ADHD, and although I am medicated, it just takes me longer to comprehend and integrate things I am reading (I've even taken a reading apprehension assessment, showing when I was not timed I was scoring above average, and when under time average time constraints I scored below). I have had accommodations for 50% extended time all my life on exams, but obviously not for the MCAT.

I've been practicing every day and my scores are still just all over the place, so I think I'm just getting lucky :-\

Yea, given your ADHD, it seems that focus is your biggest concern. Focusing, relaxing, and confidence for me were the difference between a 4-5 and a 9-10. I did all three of those things by removing all thoughts from my head and staring at the passage. On the real exam, I found my focused state by sitting completely still with my left hand on my beard and my face stuck facing the screen. The only things moving? my eyes and the tips of my right hand's fingers. Everything else stayed completely still for 45 minutes. Near the end of the section, I couldn't even feel the pinky on my left hand and both my legs were asleep. Was it worth it? absolutely! I was completely focused on that test and thus I understood the passage soooo much better and most of the questions could be answered by common sense as a result

As far as time goes, I would suggest not focusing on it so much (I know, it sounds really hard, and it is). By this, I mean dont stay strict to the 8 minute rule for each passage. Focusing on time causes urgency and anxiety and as a result, you lose focus on the passage. Focus on the passage should be your #1 concern. Dont ignore time, but dont emphasize it either. You should read the passage as fast as you can while also trying to completely understand it. On the questions TRUST YOURSELF AND GO WITH YOUR GUT! every once in a while, glance at the timer just to make sure you haven't spent too much time on the passage. I think you can be flexible with your time a bit by going 10 minutes on the harder ones, but making sure you go faster on the easier ones to make up for it. I use to check my time on the 4th passage by seeing how many minutes I had before the half way mark to see if I had to speed up or I could take my time a little bit. When I first started studying for the section, I was at 28 minutes left when starting the 4th passage, and I wouldnt even finish the section. If you still have over 35 minutes remaining when you get to the 4th passage, I think you're fine.

Perhaps you already know all this and you're already scoring 10s, but want to go higher. If so, sorry for wasting your time lol. What range are you scoring in?

Yea, given your ADHD, it seems that focus is your biggest concern. Focusing, relaxing, and confidence for me were the difference between a 4-5 and a 9-10. I did all three of those things by removing all thoughts from my head and staring at the passage. On the real exam, I found my focused state by sitting completely still with my left hand on my beard and my face stuck facing the screen. The only things moving? my eyes and the tips of my right hand's fingers. Everything else stayed completely still for 45 minutes. Near the end of the section, I couldn't even feel the pinky on my left hand and both my legs were asleep. Was it worth it? absolutely! I was completely focused on that test and thus I understood the passage soooo much better and most of the questions could be answered by common sense as a result

As far as time goes, I would suggest not focusing on it so much (I know, it sounds really hard, and it is). By this, I mean dont stay strict to the 8 minute rule for each passage. Focusing on time causes urgency and anxiety and as a result, you lose focus on the passage. Focus on the passage should be your #1 concern. Dont ignore time, but dont emphasize it either. You should read the passage as fast as you can while also trying to completely understand it. On the questions TRUST YOURSELF AND GO WITH YOUR GUT! every once in a while, glance at the timer just to make sure you haven't spent too much time on the passage. I think you can be flexible with your time a bit by going 10 minutes on the harder ones, but making sure you go faster on the easier ones to make up for it. I use to check my time on the 4th passage by seeing how many minutes I had before the half way mark to see if I had to speed up or I could take my time a little bit. When I first started studying for the section, I was at 28 minutes left when starting the 4th passage, and I wouldnt even finish the section. If you still have over 35 minutes remaining when you get to the 4th passage, I think you're fine.

Perhaps you already know all this and you're already scoring 10s, but want to go higher. If so, sorry for wasting your time lol. What range are you scoring in?

Not wasting my time at all! I think that is great advice. Ugh, well, my score on the very first practice test was a 5. Then it went up 6, 8, 9, in that order. But the last two were a 5 and 6. If I could get at least a 9 or 10, I think I would be satisfied

Not wasting my time at all! I think that is great advice. Ugh, well, my score on the very first practice test was a 5. Then it went up 6, 8, 9, in that order. But the last two were a 5 and 6. If I could get at least a 9 or 10, I think I would be satisfied

Ah ok. Well I am a firm believer in the idea that if you hit a score once, you can do it again. Also, I studied verbal for a year, scoring 5s and occasionally a 7. I brought up my score in the last 2 weeks before the exam, so nothing is impossible. Just keep trying and practicing

Ah ok. Well I am a firm believer in the idea that if you hit a score once, you can do it again. Also, I studied verbal for a year, scoring 5s and occasionally a 7. I brought up my score in the last 2 weeks before the exam, so nothing is impossible. Just keep trying and practicing

I will definitely do all that I can with the time that I have! I decided on the medical school route a little late in the game (the end of my junior year), so I was not able to start studying for the MCAT until late May. I wish I had another month of two

What's the reason why I always doubt myself when I answer VR questions? For instance, I read the question then I choose the answer that is supported by the passage, but after making an answer selection I read the other choices and I begin to doubt myself. In the end, I end up choosing another answer, which is the wrong answer. Sometimes the passages are so complex, I begin to doubt myself even more. Clearly, I can't even attack my own weakness because I don't know whether it's my ability to understand the passage's main theme or understanding the questions. So far, I've been scoring in the 6 and 7 range. Based on your past experiences, what questions would you ask your self when you read the passage? How can you tell immediately without referring to the passage that 2 of the answer choices can be knocked out based on the question stem? Thank you!!